ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Are multiple 2nd rd picks more valuable? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226716)

DaneMcCloud 04-18-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 6685325)
I miss Willie Roaf.....:(

You guys buds?

Pushead2 04-18-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6685342)
You guys buds?

I lent him my girl when his was being jacked....

I met him at a signing and I was thinking to myself, this guy is ****ing huge!! I have an old school photo of it somewhere. I got to scan it one of these days.

Chiefburger 04-18-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 6685329)
They have lots of room for very good players. But limited opportunities to bring in playmakers. There's the difference. Especially given that in free agency, most teams will pay the moon to keep their best playmakers.

When you have a top 5 pick, you have to take a playmaker. The Chiefs have a ton of picks in this draft after that pick to focus on those "very good" players.

Who's to say you can't find a so-called playmaker in the mid- to late- first round? I don't doubt Berry is gonna be great but if Earl Thomas is half a notch below and allows us to draft a strong second rounder, why not trade down?

Last years' first round is a small sample, I know, but I'm sure nearly every team drafting top 10 eyed a playmaker but it seems more teams struck gold drafting mid to late. Doesn't this support stockpiling?

Draft Tracker - Round One order
1 Lions Matthew Stafford QB
2 Rams Jason Smith OT
3 Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE
4 Seahawks Aaron Curry OLB
5 Jets Mark Sanchez QB
6 Bengals Andre Smith OT
7 Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey WR
8 Jaguars Eugene Monroe OT
9 Packers B.J. Raji DT
10 49ers Michael Crabtree WR
11 Bills Aaron Maybin DE
12 Broncos Knowshon Moreno RB
13 Redskins Brian Orakpo DE
14 Saints Malcolm Jenkins CB
15 Texans Brian Cushing OLB
16 Chargers Larry English DE
17 Buccaneers Josh Freeman QB
18 Broncos Robert Ayers LB
19 Eagles Jeremy Maclin WR
20 Lions Brandon Pettigrew TE
21 Browns Alex Mack C
22 Vikings Percy Harvin WR
23 Ravens Michael Oher OT
24 Falcons Peria Jerry DT
25 Dolphins Vontae Davis CB
26 Packers Clay Matthews OLB
27 Colts Donald Brown RB
28 Bills Eric Wood C
29 Giants Hakeem Nicks WR
30 Titans Kenny Britt WR
31 Cardinals Chris Wells RB
32 Steelers Evander Hood DT

Epic Fail 007 04-18-2010 11:28 PM

ok mecca ,what u say makes no sense,so tom brady was a lower round oh ok hes not good cause he was not picked in the 1st rd huh........noooooooooooo hes no good is he/get real.also member joe horn,lower pick ,pretty good,stop bein a crybaby,joe montana LOWER PK/wtf

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefburger (Post 6685358)
Who's to say you can't find a so-called playmaker in the mid- to late- first round? I don't doubt Berry is gonna be great but if Earl Thomas is half a notch below and allows us to draft a strong second rounder, why not trade down?

Last years' first round is a small sample, I know, but I'm sure nearly every team drafting top 10 eyed a playmaker but it seems more teams struck gold drafting mid to late. Doesn't this support stockpiling?

Draft Tracker - Round One order
1 Lions Matthew Stafford QB
2 Rams Jason Smith OT
3 Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE
4 Seahawks Aaron Curry OLB
5 Jets Mark Sanchez QB
6 Bengals Andre Smith OT
7 Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey WR
8 Jaguars Eugene Monroe OT
9 Packers B.J. Raji DT
10 49ers Michael Crabtree WR
11 Bills Aaron Maybin DE
12 Broncos Knowshon Moreno RB
13 Redskins Brian Orakpo DE
14 Saints Malcolm Jenkins CB
15 Texans Brian Cushing OLB
16 Chargers Larry English DE
17 Buccaneers Josh Freeman QB
18 Broncos Robert Ayers LB
19 Eagles Jeremy Maclin WR
20 Lions Brandon Pettigrew TE
21 Browns Alex Mack C
22 Vikings Percy Harvin WR
23 Ravens Michael Oher OT
24 Falcons Peria Jerry DT
25 Dolphins Vontae Davis CB
26 Packers Clay Matthews OLB
27 Colts Donald Brown RB
28 Bills Eric Wood C
29 Giants Hakeem Nicks WR
30 Titans Kenny Britt WR
31 Cardinals Chris Wells RB
32 Steelers Evander Hood DT

The difference is that this draft is much more top-heavy. In last year's draft, I didn't think there were a ton of can't-miss playmakers of Berry's calibre.

Berry seems like a can't-miss home run. Trading down for Thomas isn't a disaster, if you're absolutely convinced he's as good or better. And you had better be right. Because if he's anything less than Berry, unless you get spectacular trade compensation, I'd rather have the better playmaker than have an extra pick in my pocket.

Just Passin' By 04-18-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685133)
Sorry if this is covered in the other draft threads, but they are huge and intimidating and I don't really want to read through all of the personal attacks on Mecca LMAO

I was thinking about this the other day. Given that a lot of our first-round picks have been busts, can you get just as good of a player in the 2nd round? If so, why wouldn't you at least WANT to trade down to the 2nd round to pick up more players, and as a bonus, pay them less than first-rounder money?

Charlie Casserly broke it down, using starting after 4 years as his measuring stick for success. Here's what he found:

Quote:

On the drop-off in success rates from rounds 1-2 to the rest of the draft...
Casserly: "If you define success rate as a 'starter after four years' to give the player time to develop ... in the first round we found it was 75 percent success -- this was all positions -- second round is 50, third round was 30, fourth round was 25, fifth round was 20 and the sixth and seventh were ... we'll call it 10 percent ... I think the key to success to those rounds: having good evaluators ... Take the best player on the board. You're guessing in the first round in the first place, you're definitely guessing in the sixth and seventh. Even though you've done all this work, you still realize there's an element of chance involved..."
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/20/c...nchez-jenkins/

Silock 04-18-2010 11:43 PM

Charlie Casserly sucks as a GM, though. Maybe he didn't practice what he preaches, though.

DaneMcCloud 04-18-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685391)
Charlie Casserly sucks as a GM, though. Maybe he didn't practice what he preaches, though.

He's Scott Pioli, version 1.0.

He won three Super Bowls with the Redskins but when unleashed on his own, he sucked ****ing ass.

Just Passin' By 04-18-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685391)

He was just looking at the statistics, and I thought it might help to answer your question.

Silock 04-18-2010 11:55 PM

I really hope Scott proves all the doubters wrong. Somehow, I doubt he will.

I just realized I used "though" too much in that post. Not sure what that means, though. ****. Though.

Just Passin' By 04-18-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6685393)
He's Scott Pioli, version 1.0.

He won three Super Bowls with the Redskins but when unleashed on his own, he sucked ****ing ass.

Not everyone can hit on 100% the way you can, Dane. :rolleyes:

Silock 04-18-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 6685397)
He was just looking at the statistics, and I thought it might help to answer your question.

Yeah, I know. I appreciate the post :)

Mecca 04-19-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric007 (Post 6685367)
ok mecca ,what u say makes no sense,so tom brady was a lower round oh ok hes not good cause he was not picked in the 1st rd huh........noooooooooooo hes no good is he/get real.also member joe horn,lower pick ,pretty good,stop bein a crybaby,joe montana LOWER PK/wtf

WTF did this guy just say? If you're going to speak to me, speak in english...ENGLISH MOTHER****ER DO YOU SPEAK IT!

Pushead2 04-19-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 6685465)
WTF did this guy just say? If you're going to speak to me, speak in english...ENGLISH MOTHER****ER DO YOU SPEAK IT!

ROFL

this guy is hopeless Mecca

Mecca 04-19-2010 03:26 AM

I'd try to answer his question if I knew what he was saying.

I think he was trying to make some point that I was wrong with my QB point with Brady and Montana, yet he throws in shit like kicker. Top that with the way he types and my brain started to bleed.