ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Need some advice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271055)

R8RFAN 03-12-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9490286)
Per contract, he was to have full coverage with Bob Dole listed as the lien holder. Bob Dole did not bother to verify that, however.

If you get the bike and they file a claim then the insurance company is going to want their bike even if it's junk

mlyonsd 03-12-2013 05:34 PM

I'd probably hope he did the right thing and put you on as a lien-holder. If you are you'll get your money from the insurance company.

If not I'd probably just eat the $600 and chalk it up to a lesson earned.

SAUTO 03-12-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9490278)
Bob Dole isn't talking repo. Bob Dole is concerned that nobody with the ability to do anything about it is thinking about the bike or the accruing charges. Bob Dole is off work for Spring Break, and it would not be a big deal to hitch up the trailer and go get the thing out of prison and stop the charges. He or his family can pay the $600 and have it back. That isn't an issue.

this is exactly what I would do.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 03-12-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9490303)
If you get the bike and they file a claim then the insurance company is going to want their bike even if it's junk

Maybe, maybe not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater 03-12-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9490278)
Bob Dole isn't talking repo. Bob Dole is concerned that nobody with the ability to do anything about it is thinking about the bike or the accruing charges. Bob Dole is off work for Spring Break, and it would not be a big deal to hitch up the trailer and go get the thing out of prison and stop the charges. He or his family can pay the $600 and have it back. That isn't an issue.

So what is the issue? Is Bob Dole just concerned that Bob Dole is going to get stuck with the storage charges?

mikeyis4dcats. 03-12-2013 07:06 PM

can the esteemed senator from the state of Kansas not call the impound lot and inquire as to the general status and condition of the bike? i would think you could fax them a title copy to verify ownership to grease the tongues.

NewChief 03-12-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9490745)
can the esteemed senator from the state of Kansas not call the impound lot and inquire as to the general status and condition of the bike? i would think you could fax them a title copy to verify ownership to grease the tongues.

I think the impound lot is merely hypothetical at this point, and Bob Dole is asking for advice in breaching the subject of the bike's actual wherabouts with the guy's friends and family without coming off as an asshole only concerned about the well being of his bike.

Phobia 03-12-2013 08:08 PM

I would contact the authorities who had jurisdiction over the accident. They'll tell you exactly what to do and they'll probably even grease some wheels for you. I'm sure this isn't the first time that has happened and somebody wanted to protect their investment without seeming insensitive to the family.

SAUTO 03-12-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9491003)
I would contact the authorities who had jurisdiction over the accident. They'll tell you exactly what to do and they'll probably even grease some wheels for you. I'm sure this isn't the first time that has happened and somebody wanted to protect their investment without seeming insensitive to the family.

Good advice
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian 03-12-2013 08:46 PM

I guess my immediate thought is to step back and evaluate the situation.

If this were still technically Bobdole's bike, and bobdole had it insured under his name....would bobdole have any potential liability? With that severe injury, people will be looking for people to pay for things for a long, long time.

It kind of makes me wonder if Bobdole should sit back in the weeds and see how this plays out and consider $600 a good investment in not getting involved in further turmoil.

I'm not a lawyer, it's just something to consider.

As to payment....I'd be tempted to leave it alone for a while. The family has enough concern. If it were mine and I were concerned about the property, I'd probably contact the sheriff's office in the county of the accident. They should know where it was towed after the accident.

rtmike 03-12-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 9491206)
I guess my immediate thought is to step back and evaluate the situation.

If this were still technically Bobdole's bike, and bobdole had it insured under his name....would bobdole have any potential liability? With that severe injury, people will be looking for people to pay for things for a long, long time.

It kind of makes me wonder if Bobdole should sit back in the weeds and see how this plays out and consider $600 a good investment in not getting involved in further turmoil.

I'm not a lawyer, it's just something to consider.

As to payment....I'd be tempted to leave it alone for a while. The family has enough concern. If it were mine and I were concerned about the property, I'd probably contact the sheriff's office in the county of the accident. .

That's zackly what I was thinking. I'd be scared to death of having my name attached to it. People really turn sideways when someone's life is lost or permanently altered in my experience anyways.

Question is what do you know about the title as fact? Was it ever even edited? It very well could be entirely still in your name?

Bob Dole 03-12-2013 10:11 PM

The $600 isn't an issue at all. Bob Dole just wants to make sure that $600 doesn't turn in to $3600 because Bob Dole the person who still holds title did not act.

While the buyer is not a "close friend", he is more than "someone Bob Dole met once", so Bob Dole is concerned about long term effects of his action(s).

Bob Dole will likely try to locate the vehicle tomorrow and retrieve it. Seems to be the safest course of action at this point for all parties.

Phobia 03-12-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9491593)
The $600 isn't an issue at all. Bob Dole just wants to make sure that $600 doesn't turn in to $3600 because Bob Dole the person who still holds title did not act.

It won't. Those tow companies don't actually expect the $40 a day unless they're getting it from the insurance company. If they're dealing with an individual and the scrap value of the vehicle won't cover the entire tow/storage bill then they generally just settle at that number.

Bob Dole 03-14-2013 12:08 PM

Just got a call that they are planning to take the buyer off life support tomorrow. Still no mention of the bike or how exactly the accident happened. Ugh.

tooge 03-14-2013 12:16 PM

Sorry to hear. I'd go get the bike, or whats left of it and sell off any parts that are usable and be thankful it wasn't you.