ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Restating the obvious, Dorsey learned from Ted Thompson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282755)

KCwolf 04-03-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10536325)
It was two critical picks. A good GM will get 2 solid starters out of 2nd round picks. He essentially traded two of them for Alex Smith.

They didn't HAVE to draft a QB. Again, a GOOD GM would find a way to get a good QB without mortgaging his own draft strategy.

For all of the talk about how "garbage" last year's draft was, this year's draft is one of the BEST in recent memory.

And we're missing a 2nd round pick.

The Horror!! .... You must be one of those guys. I for one THANK GOD Matt Cassell is not our starting QB and instead of saying "we could've had ?? @ QB" We do have Alex Smith and are not looking for a QB this year.

Deberg_1990 04-03-2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10536335)
If that's your straw man, might as well fire Dorsey now because his first round picks will be the next Ryan Sims or Sylvester Morris.

Heh, no. I just don't think a 2nd rounder is as critical as you think it is. I'll take Alex Smiths play any day over the average 2nd rounder
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc 04-03-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 10536250)
People here seem to have a problem with Dorsey, they say because last offseason doesn't look like this offseason. "Where's the continuity?!?" personally, I think they're just mad because we're not active this year, not that there's no continuity.

I think it's more about being upset because the chiefs haven't done exactly what people want. It happens every year, usually more with the draft. "I want (insert player name) but they didn't do that so I deem this (draft/free agency period/off-season) a complete failure."

I do it, too. I thought (and still think) Andy Reid was the wrong hire. I've been pretty vocal about that. They identified what they believed was the best available short and long term option at quarterback, which is something I should agree with philosophically, but I didn't like Alex Smith, so I wasn't happy there either. I was never really a dick about it but I wanted them to give Geno Smith a look. Which I believe they never did - not for a second. And if not him, then I would have gone Austin or Patterson. Fisher was a move I will never, ever like, short of the guy making the Hall.

Is that fair? Probably not, but that's the way it is. That's the way fans are. We aren't rational no matter how much we try to cloak our arguments in logic and stats. We believe that we know how things should be done, better than anyone else, be it owners or gms or other fans, and that's every bit as true for those of us who think the chiefs should never be questioned and everybody who does is an idiot as is it for the ones who thinks they're incompetent clowns and anybody who approves is a homer.

At the end of the day this is mostly emotion and we're mostly throwing tantrums because we didn't get the toys we want, or we're bitching out people who disagree with us, or we're slapping people on the back and hailing them as geniuses if they say something we actually like.

Pretty simple really. It's the internet and that's how things are done.

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCwolf (Post 10536338)
The Horror!! .... You must be one of those guys. I for one THANK GOD Matt Cassell is not our starting QB and instead of saying "we could've had ?? @ QB" We do have Alex Smith and are not looking for a QB this year.

I like Alex Smith.

It's not my problem people aren't smart enough to separate the player from the moves it took to get him.

Alex Smith needs complimentary players. The team's ability to get said complementary players is hampered by the fact that they gave up two high picks to get him.

That's just simple logic.

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10536340)
Heh, no. I just don't think a 2nd rounder is as critical as you think it is. I'll take Alex Smiths play any day over the average 2nd rounder
Posted via Mobile Device

We're counting on Dorsey's draft picks to be better than "average".

Again, if those two picks are just expendable, Dorsey's reign here is DOOMED.

If he's even remotely good at his job, those picks are EXTREMELY valuable.

You can't have it both ways.

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10536344)
I think it's more about being upset because the chiefs haven't done exactly what people want. It happens every year, usually more with the draft. "I want (insert player name) but they didn't do that so I deem this (draft/free agency period/off-season) a complete failure."

I do it, too. I thought (and still think) Andy Reid was the wrong hire. I've been pretty vocal about that. They identified what they believed was the best available short and long term option at quarterback, which is something I should agree with philosophically, but I didn't like Alex Smith, so I wasn't happy there either.

I was never a dick about it but I wanted them to give Geno Smith a look. Which I believe they never did - not for a second. And if not him, then I would have gone Austin or Patterson. Fisher was a move I will never, ever like, short of the guy making the Hall.

Is that fair? Probably not, but that's the way it is. That's the way fans are. We aren't rational no matter how much we try to cloak our arguments in logic and stats. We believe that we know how things should be done, better than anyone else, be it owners or gms or other fans, and that's every bit as true for those of us who think the chiefs should never be questioned and everybody who does is an idiot as is it for the ones who thinks they're incompetent clowns and anybody who approves is a homer.

At the end of the day this is mostly emotion and we're mostly throwing tantrums because we didn't get the toys we want, or we're bitching out people who disagree with us, or we're slapping people on the back and hailing them as geniuses if they say something we actually like.

Pretty simple really. It's the internet and that's how things are done.

I agree with a great bit of this, but for me it has NOTHING to do with what I wanted.

It has everything to do with the apparent contradictions in their moves.

People can ignore it all they want but trading two picks for a QB and then saying "we're building through the draft" don't comfortably co-exist.

O.city 04-03-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10536325)
It was two critical picks. A good GM will get 2 solid starters out of 2nd round picks. He essentially traded two of them for Alex Smith.

They didn't HAVE to draft a QB. Again, a GOOD GM would find a way to get a good QB without mortgaging his own draft strategy.

For all of the talk about how "garbage" last year's draft was, this year's draft is one of the BEST in recent memory.

And we're missing a 2nd round pick.

Instead of two good starters, it appears they got a franchise quarterback.

crossbow 04-03-2014 07:46 AM

So which 2nd round QBs were the Chiefs going to draft last year that were as ready as Alex Smith?

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10536370)

How many franchise QBs win Super Bowls all by themselves while surrounded by garbage?

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 10536375)
So which 2nd round QBs were the Chiefs going to draft last year that were as ready as Alex Smith?

ROFL

philfree 04-03-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

For all I've read on this forum about QB being the most important position on the team I guess I didn't understand. To me two 2nd round picks for a winning, starting QB is a steal considering that a lot of people would have giving up a draft and a half for RGIII.

O.city 04-03-2014 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10536377)
How many franchise QBs win Super Bowls all by themselves while surrounded by garbage?

Are there not other ways to surround said qb with players?

I mean, we haven't had the draft yet, we don't know how players from last year will further develop in this system, etc and on and on. It's just too soon to know.

Maybe Alex smith under Andy Reid can elevate the players aroun him instead if vice versa. Half of last years says yes, half says no.

It just seems ironic that the talk around here is always "give up anything for a franchise qb", now they did and it was one the HC everyone loved hiring because he's the "qb" whisperer really wanted, and people are pissed at the compensation.

TEX 04-03-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

I would too if it were just 1 pick; however, we're talking about TWO #2's, and even then I dont have a problem IF after the Chiefs choose that course, they go "all in" and build on that decision rather than being contradictory with an oppisite approach this season, while saying its the correct approach to building a team. IF true, then trading away TWO #2's was wrong. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking a player. It has everything to do with them not being consistent to building the team in back to back seasons.

BlackHelicopters 04-03-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10536370)

Whatever a "franchise"QB is , Alex Smith isn't

keg in kc 04-03-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10536352)
I agree with a great bit of this, but for me it has NOTHING to do with what I wanted.

It has everything to do with the apparent contradictions in their moves.

People can ignore it all they want but trading two picks for a QB and then saying "we're building through the draft" don't comfortably co-exist.

As Obi-wan said, it's really all about your point of view. I think it would be pretty simple to adjust that so-called logic - let's call it rationalize - and look at that move as their way of acquiring a long term solution at quarterback. He's their franchise quarterback, for all intents and purposes, and the only real difference from a rookie is that they skipped the 3 or 4 (or more) years of ups and downs that it takes them to develop.

So in one sense it is an immediate move, but on the other hand it's also still perhaps a long term investment made with those picks...

What it's not is Joe Montana on his last legs for a year or two. And while I've often said I'd gone with a guy like Jason Campbell, let's face it, that would've been a short term move, too. Whereas I think it's safe to say that Alex Smith may well be here as long as, if not longer than, most of the players drafted last year, including anyone they might have taken in the second.

I'm not saying I agree with it or like it or even that I look at it that way. I don't. What I am saying is that our brand of simple logic isn't necessarily the only one out there, and sometimes it can be beneficial to consider different angles, or recognize that our own may be skewed or biased.

At least, I know mine is, when it comes to most of the things this damned franchise does.