ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   General Politics The GOP's media cocoon (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266522)

Brock 11-12-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9109959)
It's hard to believe that social issues outweigh economic and other issues for a lot of people. The ability to vote in such a fashion is a luxury paid for by others that, contrary to popular belief, is not a right nor is it self-sustaining.

Social issues don't outweigh economic issues with most people. Nobody believed Romney cares at all about the working class, however, and when you put that together with tiresome, outdated moralistic nonsense, you got yourself a loser. To put it another way, all other things being equal, people voted for the guy who at least appears to be on the right side of these things.

vailpass 11-12-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9109982)
That depends on what you mean by "social issues."

entitlements (also economic), gay rights, abortion rights, marijuana, illegal immigration (also an economic and legal issue), to name a few

vailpass 11-12-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9109990)
Social issues don't outweigh economic issues with most people. Nobody believed Romney cares at all about the working class, however, and when you put that together with tiresome, outdated moralistic nonsense, you got yourself a loser. To put it another way, all other things being equal, people voted for the guy who at least appears to be on the right side of these things.

Thanks for your opinion. I'd like to see a survey of all who voted for obama as to what their top 2 reasons were for voting that way.

BigRedChief 11-12-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9109937)
I think this is spot on.

I personally just wish the R's would accept the fact that they're sticking to dramatically changing public views on many of the social issues.

THIS!

Republicans, I say this with love.....

Stay the **** away from abortion, saying mean things about Latinos, and gay marriage. Stick to your preaching of keeping the governments financial house in order. Point out the really stupid overreaches of the Dem's. Keep the pressure on rising entitlment costs. Stick with your basics.

It's not in the country's best interests to have one party in charge. The demographic freight train is going to run you over. It's better for everyone if you survive that train, just get on board and make the changes you can while the Dem's and R's share that demographic train.

listopencil 11-12-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9109992)
gay rights, abortion rights, marijuana, illegal immigration (also an economic and legal issue), to name a few

Cool. I just wanted to make sure. I'll tell you from my perspective.

Economics: I'm gainfully employed, have been with my company for a touch over sixteen years. All of my friends are employed. We pretty much just worry that our taxes might be raised, or that the prices might go up on the things we buy often. Gas, food, household items. We don't think either candidate could do shit about most of that but we worry that Obama and the Democrats will raise our taxes. That's the end of my economic issues.

Social:

I have friends and relatives who are gay. I think it's ****ing retarded not to allow them to marry. There is no reason to deny them that. All I can do is raise my children well so that they can see how the small minded asssholes in power, or in the majority, continue to **** over people who are different from them. Hopefully I will have raised them well enough that their generation can overcome the cowardice and hate that still seems to plague the country on this issue.

Abortion is sometimes the only reasonable alternative. It would be nice if we could all agree with when that "sometimes" happens, but partisan bullshit and mind boggling idiocy won't allow that. I'm looking at you Mister A Woman Can't Get Pregnant From Rape. You're a ****ing disgrace to your third grade Science teacher. So we have to let it continue to be legal and allow the mother/doctor to make that decision. It can't be a political one because politicians are lying douchebags who don't give a shit about you.

Pot should be legal. Why? Because nicotine, caffeine and alcohol are. No medicinal value and high potential for addiction? No shit, really? Then change smokes/coffee/booze to schedule one drugs.

People come here from other countries, pretty much, for jobs. Give them legal resident alien status if they can provide proof of continuous employment. Proof in the form of taxes paid.Of course there is a lot of other shit that has to be done (there's good thread about it) but start with that.

Bottom line? A lot of people in this country need a giant cup of Shut The **** Up, It's None Of Your Business. Unless it has a real impact on your daily life it doesn't concern you.

alnorth 11-12-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

“Dick Morris is a joke to every smart conservative in Washington and most every smart conservative under the age of 40 in America,” said Douthat. “The problem is that most of the people watching Dick Morris don’t know that.”
Hopefully this was the last we hear from this idiot.

cdcox 11-12-2012 06:51 PM

Top two reasons I voted Obama:

1. Embracing anti-intellectual positions and candidates. Sara Palin, anti-climate change, regressive tax schemes, Michelle Bachman, Herman Cain, Ryan coupons for heathcare.
2. Tea party. Their smug and/or angry attitudes and libertarian positions that fail to recognize the legitimate services that gov provides. Grover Norquist could go here or in 1.

I'm punishing the republican party by voting against everyone of their candidates (even ones I like) until they reclaim their party from these influences. It's not that we don't need entitlements reform. We desperately do. But with the current voices in charge of the republicans, we can't do that in a thoughtful, intelligent, and fair way.

Pitt Gorilla 11-12-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9110062)
Cool. I just wanted to make sure. I'll tell you from my perspective.

Economics: I'm gainfully employed, have been with my company for a touch over sixteen years. All of my friends are employed. We pretty much just worry that our taxes might be raised, or that the prices might go up on the things we buy often. Gas, food, household items. We don't think either candidate could do shit about most of that but we worry that Obama and the Democrats will raise our taxes. That's the end of my economic issues.

Social:

I have friends and relatives who are gay. I think it's ****ing retarded not to allow them to marry. There is no reason to deny them that. All I can do is raise my children well so that they can see how the small minded asssholes in power, or in the majority, continue to **** over people who are different from them. Hopefully I will have raised them well enough that their generation can overcome the cowardice and hate that still seems to plague the country on this issue.

Abortion is sometimes the only reasonable alternative. It would be nice if we could all agree with when that "sometimes" happens, but partisan bullshit and mind boggling idiocy won't allow that. I'm looking at you Mister A Woman Can't Get Pregnant From Rape. You're a ****ing disgrace to your third grade Science teacher. So we have to let it continue to be legal and allow the mother/doctor to make that decision. It can't be a political one because politicians are lying douchebags who don't give a shit about you.

Pot should be legal. Why? Because nicotine, caffeine and alcohol are. No medicinal value and high potential for addiction? No shit, really? Then change smokes/coffee/booze to schedule one drugs.

People come here from other countries, pretty much, for jobs. Give them legal resident alien status if they can provide proof of continuous employment. Proof in the form of taxes paid.Of course there is a lot of other shit that has to be done (there's good thread about it) but start with that.

Bottom line? A lot of people in this country need a giant cup of Shut The **** Up, It's None Of Your Business. Unless it has a real impact on your daily life it doesn't concern you.

wow absolutely dead on. Rep.

KC native 11-12-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9109416)
I live in a Republican cocoon, I guess. It's called a nice county where people have good jobs and nicely landscaped yards.

And the same 10 interchangeable stores every 5 minutes. Plano is suburban hell. You are definitely cocooned.

DaFace 11-12-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9110183)

1. Embracing anti-intellectual positions and candidates. Sara Palin, anti-climate change, regressive tax schemes, Michelle Bachman, Herman Cain, Ryan coupons for heathcare.
2. Tea party. Their smug and/or angry attitudes and libertarian positions that fail to recognize the legitimate services that gov provides. Grover Norquist could go here or in 1.

I'm punishing the republican party by voting against everyone of their candidates (even ones I like) until they reclaim their party from these influences. It's not that we don't need entitlements reform. We desperately do. But with the current voices in charge of the republicans, we can't do that in a thoughtful, intelligent, and fair way.

I'd forgotten about climate change. That's another big one.

BucEyedPea 11-12-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9109993)
Thanks for your opinion. I'd like to see a survey of all who voted for obama as to what their top 2 reasons were for voting that way.

Well I just saw some Exits polls showing that Obama's campaign message reached Americans more than Romney's.

This was the order:

They thought Republicans were most interested in helping
The Wealthy 50%
Big Business 48%
Hardworking Taxpayers 26%
The Middle Class 23%
Small Business 18%
Families 16%
The Poor 3%

Yet Obama bailed out big business and some of the wealthiest. Go figure. It doesn't look like it was social issues per this. The class warfare rhetoric worked.

BucEyedPea 11-12-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9110183)

You mean like the Tea Partiers who cried don't cut my Medicare? There were lots of those. Grover Norquist is for military cuts at least. You've always struck me as being for big govt and more left than right. So this doesn't surprise me. Not that Romney is a right winger.
He's a Massachusetts liberal who ran to the left of Ted Kennedy in the 90's.

BucEyedPea 11-12-2012 07:33 PM

One my daughter's roomies already is regretting voting for Obama. Her health insurance was just cut. This girl was a marketing major who was undecided.

La literatura 11-12-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 9110384)
One my daughter's roomies already is regretting voting for Obama. Her health insurance was just cut. This girl was a marketing major who was undecided.

Parents til 26.

Cannibal 11-12-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 9110384)

The anecdote queen strikes again.