ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Out of curiosity, does anyone know which team is the smallest fanbase in the NFL? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=128017)

RealSNR 11-02-2005 06:53 PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone know which team is the smallest fanbase in the NFL?

I'm leaning towards New Orleans or Arizona. Could be a surprise like Jacksonville or something like that too

Rain Man 11-02-2005 06:56 PM

My guess would be Arizona. Not a long local history, no success, not in a "football" region.

The Saints are another reasonable choice, but they've at least been stable geographically.

CosmicPal 11-02-2005 06:56 PM

You can measure tangible things like ticket sales, but I don't think you truly measure the fanbase. I know a few peeps in my office who say they like the Broncos, yet they never buy any Bronco gear or go to the game.

Saulbadguy 11-02-2005 06:58 PM

I know alot of Rams fans under 5 ft 5.

Deberg_1990 11-02-2005 07:03 PM

As of right now, id have to say The Houston Texans, heck, they arent even popluar in their own state. Oher nominees: Arizonia and New Orleans.....I also honestly believe the Chargers fanbase isnt that big for being as good of team as they are.

4th and Long 11-02-2005 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
As of right now, id have to say The Houston Texans, heck, they arent even popluar in their own state. Oher nominees: Arizonia and New Orleans.....I also honestly believe the Chargers fanbase isnt that big for being as good of team as they are.

Having been engaged to a native Houstonian, I can tell you that you're dead wrong.

RealSNR 11-02-2005 07:05 PM

Also, what kind of fans does Houston have? Did they all start cheering for the Tennessee Oilers when they moved only to switch back to the home team when a new franchise came in? Are they still loyal to that old Oilers team? Or is it out with the old in with the new?

4th and Long 11-02-2005 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR
Also, what kind of fans does Houston have? Did they all start cheering for the Tennessee Oilers when they moved only to switch back to the home team when a new franchise came in? Are they still loyal to that old Oilers team? Or is it out with the old in with the new?

They hate the old team and do not cheer for them.

Deberg_1990 11-02-2005 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long
Having been engaged to a native Houstonian, I can tell you that you're dead wrong.

You can honestly say that shes passionate about Houston Texans football?? Shes one of maybe 3 or 4 people in the world if she is??

RealSNR 11-02-2005 07:08 PM

Has anyone seen a guy decked out in Jaguars gear EVER outside of the Jacksonville area? Even then, Florida has three teams, and then there's Atlanta to the west and Carolina to the north. Lot of competition for fans in the Southwest.

Rain Man 11-02-2005 07:08 PM

I wonder how big Baltimore's fan base is. They're a relatively new team that is located 40 miles or less from a very established team that has a highly loyal fan base.

4th and Long 11-02-2005 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
You can honestly say that shes passionate about Houston Texans football?? Shes one of maybe 3 or 4 people in the world if she is??

Dude, here's a dollar. Buy a clue.

I spent a lot of time in Houston and those people love their team. Everyone wears the gear, there are Texans flags flying in yards galore, and during football season, it's all they talk about.

Rain Man 11-02-2005 07:10 PM

Buffalo almost certainly has a loyal fan base, but it can't be very huge unless we're counting Canadian fans, eh? They've got the Patriots to the east, the Jets and Giants in their home state, the Eagles and Steelers within a day's drive, and nothing but commonwealth to the north and west.

RealSNR 11-02-2005 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I wonder how big Baltimore's fan base is. They're a relatively new team that is located 40 miles or less from a very established team that has a highly loyal fan base.

Art Modell buys his own fanbase

RealSNR 11-02-2005 07:11 PM

This is a really great thread. I've been able to pad my post count in a football thread worthy of discussion