ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Toyota Tundras frames rusting, guess they need to made from real steel. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207195)

wild1 05-04-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5739007)
Yeah, just because people don't want a car that's worth 25 percent less the minute they drive it off the lot, they're idjits. I wish I could seriously consider buying an american car, but let's face the facts. Hondas and Toyotas on average last longer, hold their value better, and perform better over the life of the vehicle than any american car. My 91 accord still has the original freon in it, for pete's sake. The saddest part of all of this is it doesn't have to be this way. There isn't anything magical about the way those companies operate. Detroits dollars per pound method of designing a car isn't and hasn't been working for quite some time.

Amen... you know there is a good chance that motor will still be turning 10 or 15 years from now. Is that worth a 10-15% premium? Looks like America thinks it is.

Over-Head 05-04-2009 06:02 PM

I always knew my Ford-150 was better :p

HemiEd 05-04-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5738907)
Which car companies are going under again?? It aint Honda or Toyota.

Don't even go there, Japan has been subsidizing their industries, and more specifically car companies for many years.
The fact that they have been so profitable, selling this stuff over here, doesn't speak well for our consumers.

In fact, Toyota recently asked for Government bailouts from Japan.

BigMeatballDave 05-04-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5738357)
Yes because no American cars ever rust.

Seriously? A frame rusting in 9 yrs is horrible. My 2001 Grand Prix is rust-free underneath. Toyota is using some seriously low-quality steel.

htismaqe 05-04-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChapelle (Post 5738748)
The import snobs don't care. If it says Toyota or Honda on it They'll pay out the nose for one of those brands even with 315,000+ miles. Just cause it says Toyota or Honda. People are idjits.

I'm not a snob. I wanted the absolute best gas mileage I could get, and there's no comparison to my Corolla. In fact, the newer Corolla's can't even get the MPG I get. It's got 125K miles on it in just over 3 years and I still get about 38 on the highway at 70.

stevieray 05-04-2009 08:14 PM

The frame on my 65 chevy Van isn't rusted..

Deberg_1990 05-04-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 5739097)
The fact that they have been so profitable, selling this stuff over here, doesn't speak well for our consumers.

So now your calling out every American consumer who buys Japanese just because they want a better automobile?? You make no sense.

Radar Chief 05-04-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 5739649)
The frame on my 65 chevy Van isn't rusted..

Niether is the frame on my '60 CJ-5.
When hanging the new exhaust we found a crack in the frame right in the middle of the passenger side wheel arch but I'm pretty sure that's due to running a whole lot more motor than the designers intended. ;)

dilligaf 05-04-2009 09:12 PM

I've been in the car business for 15 years and have never heard this before. Just called a couple of my buddies in the the business and they've haven't either. Sounds like propaganda to me.

Bugeater 05-04-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5739689)
So now your calling out every American consumer who buys Japanese just because they want a better automobile?? You make no sense.

IMO that's largely a myth, over the past four years I've spent more on repairs on my wife's Camry than I did my Caravan, and it's five years newer. And don't even get me started on the Accord we used to have...

Deberg_1990 05-04-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 5739948)
IMO that's largely a myth, over the past four years I've spent more on repairs on my wife's Camry than I did my Caravan, and it's five years newer. And don't even get me started on the Accord we used to have...

Perhaps somewhat, because i do believe American manufacturers have been forced to make better cars because of the dominance of foreign makers.

But the Foreign cars still have a far better resale value than American.

Bugeater 05-04-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5739962)
Perhaps somewhat, because i do believe American manufacturers have been forced to make better cars because of the dominance of foreign makers.

But the Foreign cars still have a far better resale value than American.

Yay. Seeing that I generally buy cars that are 5-6 years old, that only means I'll pay more for them. That, coupled with the fact that parts are friggin' outrageous for them, I don't really see what I'm gaining. Next time I'll buy the comparable Chevy for $2-3K less and take my chances.

BWillie 05-04-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5738615)
I've seen this issue many times. We send CRASH reports to the manufacturer on this and sometimes have subrogation rights against Toyota in some cases.

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

You wouldn't believe.

Which car company do you work for?

A major one.

BigMeatballDave 05-04-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 5739996)
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

You wouldn't believe.

Which car company do you work for?

A major one.

You are not your ****ing khakis!

Mosbonian 05-04-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 5739948)

I'll counter your myth with a truth of my own....

We bought my wife a new Dodge Grand Caravan in 1998 with only 12 miles on it. I purchased a new Toyota Camry with 5 miles on it in 1991.

We finally got rid of the POS Grand Caravan in 2002 after spending an ungodly amount of money trying to keep it roadworthy...with the main culprit being the electrical system. We traded it in for a 2000 Sienna XLE with 14k miles on it. The only problem we have had with it was the automatic door on the passenger side. We have put over 100K miles on it and spent less on repairs/upkeep in the almost 7 years we have owned it than we spent in the 4 years we owned that Grand Caravan.

But I will go you one better.....I owned that original 1991 till i traded it off in 2000 for a 2000 Camry...I spent nothing more than upkeep money (normal maintenance) in those 9 years and still couldn't come anywhere near to what I spent in what ungodly money keeping that POS Grand Caravan on the road.

Just thought I would offer my experience....

mmaddog