ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Excerpts from Marty Schottenheimer's book (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270623)

milkman 03-15-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9503134)
You don't want to here this, but I am going to say it:

Marty deserved a Super Bowl. It's a tragedy he never got it.

Marty was as likable as any coach around.

But he didn't deserve a SB.
He is the reasin he never got one.

Deberg_1990 03-15-2013 10:23 PM

There can be no doubt. Marty was the greatest "regular season" coach of all time.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9504544)
There can be no doubt. Marty was the greatest "regular season" coach of all time.

Yep.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties 03-15-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9504479)
It was tiny and worthless. I'd have to grab it off the driveway everyday when I came home from school, especially in the winter, or it would be covered in ice, snow and my Dad's car.

I don't think anyone missed it.

Amazing that Rick Gosselin wrote for it.

tk13 03-15-2013 10:46 PM

That Redskins stuff is hilarious. Some people hold up Snyder as this great owner but all the little ways he cuts corners and pushes the envelope to make an extra buck are hilarious. If he was the Chiefs owner for the last 15 years this place would've chewed him into pieces.

Hammock Parties 03-15-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9504635)
That Redskins stuff is hilarious. Some people hold up Snyder as this great owner but all the little ways he cuts corners and pushes the envelope to make an extra buck are hilarious. If he was the Chiefs owner for the last 15 years this place would've chewed him into pieces.

After Brian Schotty and some gal named Gemmi (who later became his wife) started dating, they went on a "road trip" with some assistant coaches and two other girls from the business side of the operation to go see Marty and Pat in Charlotte.

People got wind of it and everyone freaked out about "ethics" and "violations" and blablabla. Snyder made everyone sign a new code of ethics...and coaches couldn't "fraternize" with people from the business side...oh but they "grandfathered" in Brian and his future wife since they had been dating for awhile.

MOhillbilly 03-15-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9455274)
What chapter is devoted to Lin Eliot?

You aren't supposed to say its ****in name in the open. ****in jinxer.

Hammock Parties 03-15-2013 10:58 PM

The only note on Lin Elliot is that no one was talking to him after the game and he got out of there as fast as possible.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-15-2013 10:59 PM

lol
Posted via Mobile Device

GoChargers 03-16-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9456671)
I think Marty being our favorite head coach (at least for the somewhat younger crowd) is the one thing Chiefs and Chargers fans have in common.

Sadly, you're probably right. Marty's by all accounts a good guy and all, but it's idiotic that so many Charger fans worship him so much when he's probably only the fourth-best coach in team history, behind Coryell, Gillman, and Ross.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9503063)

2. Marty and Carl used to go bowling alleys, luncheons and breakfast meetings across the midwest, including Nebraska and Iowa, trying to drum up interest in the Chiefs.

20. After the 1998 MNF meltdown, Carl told the locker room the team had disgraced themselves and the entire city. Lamar Hunt stood nearby with his hands over his face..

As the years pass I find myself slowly becoming a Carl Peterson mark. I'm losing my ****ing mind.

Hammock Parties 03-16-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9504790)
As the years pass I find myself slowly becoming a Carl Peterson mark. I'm losing my ****ing mind.

In retrospect he was a master marketer and uh, financial success strategist.

If he had been 10 percent better as a talent evaluator he's probably got a SB ring.

And he was a dick, but man he was our dick.

DaneMcCloud 03-16-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9504620)
Amazing that Rick Gosselin wrote for it.

I actually remember that because I read both papers everyday. I was the Sports Editor of the Junior High newspaper (grade 7-9) and sports writing was a passion. I had a newspaper route just so I could have a subscription to Sports illustrated and read Dr. Z. when I was eleven.

I clearly remember reading the newspaper the day after the NFL draft because in those days, the only player announced on local TV was the first round choice.

Ah, the 70's.

cdcox 03-16-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9503063)
22. Marty was originally going to return for the 1999 season, but changed his mind during the offseason. Lamar, Carl and Steadman all begged him to stay. And to this day, Marty has second thoughts about it and wonders...what if.

ends badly

lcarus 03-16-2013 12:57 AM

9. Carl and Marty had their first interview together getting lost driving around Kansas City. They almost ran out of gas.

A lot of Marty's drives in Kansas City ran out of gas