ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Guitar amp plays friggin radio... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260312)

InChiefsHeaven 06-08-2012 10:26 AM

Guitar amp plays friggin radio...

Don't know if anyone else has this problem or if there's anything that can be done about it. My basement seems to be a great place to receive AM radio signals. My last amp would pick up AM radio sometimes, faintly. But the new Line6 Spider IV has it blaring, to the point where I can't really even play sometimes. I have what I thought was a decent cable, but maybe that's the problem. It just never did it this badly with my last amp. Anyway, when I turn on to jam it's like a total Spinal Tap Air Force Gig moment...drives me nuts!! Any ideas, or do I need to just buy another house...?

okcchief 06-08-2012 10:35 AM

I have that same amp and don't have that problem. It must be location.

Radar Chief 06-08-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 8667279)
Don't know if anyone else has this problem or if there's anything that can be done about it. My basement seems to be a great place to receive AM radio signals. My last amp would pick up AM radio sometimes, faintly. But the new Line6 Spider IV has it blaring, to the point where I can't really even play sometimes. I have what I thought was a decent cable, but maybe that's the problem. It just never did it this badly with my last amp. Anyway, when I turn on to jam it's like a total Spinal Tap Air Force Gig moment...drives me nuts!! Any ideas, or do I need to just buy another house...?

I know nothing about your amp but from an RF perspective the best way to eliminate interference is a proper ground.

Radar Chief 06-08-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 8667318)
I know nothing about your amp but from an RF perspective the best way to eliminate interference is a proper ground.

If you’ve got a good ground to the outlet running your amp you can try some clip on ferrite beads like these.

http://www.camera2000.com/en/2-lots-...d-ferrite.html

Try them on your power cord, pickup cord, even move them around and see if you can choke the interference off where its coming in.
At least these are the first steps I go through when working on an RFI issue.

L.A. Chieffan 06-08-2012 10:47 AM

ground loop isolater from radioshack? like twenty bucks

Garcia Bronco 06-08-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

You need to ground you amp so it doesn't pick up the radio signal.

notorious 06-08-2012 11:16 AM

My subwoofer in my old apartment 15 years ago picked up police transmissions.

I had an old black and white TV when I was 11-12 that could pick up telephone conversations.

Weird shit can happen if you have coiled up wire (voice coil) and a moving diaphram.

otherstar 06-08-2012 11:17 AM

I used to have that problem with the Line 6 I had, and my Fender solid state amp as well (and we live in an older house with some ground issues). Once I went to tube amps, I've not had the problem.

Ace Gunner 06-08-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

you need to redo your ground post. put a new one in and run 14ga to your outlets, get rid of the originals.

Kerberos 06-08-2012 11:19 AM

EVH 5150 amp :)

Vegas_Dave 06-08-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Not sure if you have received any answer yet but perhaps its your ground...

Seriously, do people even read what is posted before posting?

Radar Chief 06-08-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8667417)
My subwoofer in my old apartment 15 years ago picked up police transmissions.

I had an old black and white TV when I was 11-12 that could pick up telephone conversations.

Weird shit can happen if you have coiled up wire (voice coil) and a moving diaphram.

In my old house we had a neighbor that was a HAM guy, had a big, for a residential area, tower for short wave and I’d pick up his transmissions on my stereo. Not loud though and it was a one sided conversation since I couldn’t hear who he was talking too.

Radar Chief 06-08-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas_Dave (Post 8667424)
Not sure if you have received any answer yet but perhaps its your ground...

Seriously, do people even read what is posted before posting?

:LOL: I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but it could be the ground line.

Rain Man 06-08-2012 12:08 PM

Having read all of the previous posts, my guess would be that you need a ground.

JD10367 06-08-2012 12:16 PM

I have no help. Aside from maybe trying a ground wire.

I just wanted to hear this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hjg39XRkjVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>