ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc CP Cultural Hour: Shakespeare, Bach, Plato, Emerson, What's on your mind (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207752)

FAX 05-15-2009 09:53 PM

CP Cultural Hour: Shakespeare, Bach, Plato, Emerson, What's on your mind

Just brewed a cup of Earl Grey tea and added some lemon and honey so if anyone would like to discuss philosophy, poetry, classical music, cultural anthropology, or anything along those lines, please advise. Also typing pretty fast because the tea is strong.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

Reaper16 05-15-2009 09:56 PM

I've always found it curious that while Nietzsche read a lot of Emerson and was greatly influenced by him, their approaches to individuality were so divergent. Nietzsche, of course, is all about separating one's self from "the herd." But while Emerson prized individuality (read "Self-Reliance"), individuality for him was ultimately important so that one can better access the universal, or the Over-Soul. Emerson was much more democratic in his thought on individuality, something that Nietzsche left behind.

Ultra Peanut 05-15-2009 10:01 PM

... I was just thinking about La Parka. Sorry.

Bugeater 05-15-2009 10:02 PM

I love me some Beethoven.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5sdn4fsuyU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5sdn4fsuyU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

keg in kc 05-15-2009 10:03 PM

I was just listening to krzysztof penderecki's polish requiem and benjamin britten's war requiem and contemplating the differences and similarities in the way that each piece portrays the horrors of war in the twentieth century.

Well, no, not really, I was exploring the mines of moria on my elf hunter, but tomorrow i'll do the dueling requiem things. Promise. Maybe.

cdcox 05-15-2009 10:05 PM

I'm not sure why science should not be considered high culture. Einstein was smarter than all those folks, relatively speaking.

Reaper16 05-15-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5769923)
I'm not sure why science should not be considered high culture. Einstein was smarter than all those folks, relatively speaking.

Shakespeare > Einstein.

luv 05-15-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5769925)
Shakespeare > Einstein.

OOOOOOHHHHHH. I knew I liked you.

Reaper16 05-15-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 5769936)
OOOOOOHHHHHH. I knew I liked you.

I'm a writer and a future English professor, what am I supposed to say? ;)

keg in kc 05-15-2009 10:10 PM

Einstein > Edward de Vere

Discuss Thrower 05-15-2009 10:11 PM

This Be the Verse by Philip Larkin

They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

luv 05-15-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5769939)
I'm a writer and a future English professor, what am I supposed to say? ;)

If I could go back to college, I'd major in English with an emphasis on creative writing. Probably a dream that will never come true, but it's a dream of mine nonetheless.

FAX 05-15-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5769886)
I've always found it curious that while Nietzsche read a lot of Emerson and was greatly influenced by him, their approaches to individuality were so divergent. Nietzsche, of course, is all about separating one's self from "the herd." But while Emerson prized individuality (read "Self-Reliance"), individuality for him was ultimately important so that one can better access the universal, or the Over-Soul. Emerson was much more democratic in his thought on individuality, something that Nietzsche left behind.

That is interesting, Mr. Reaper16. It's fair to say that each of those men ultimately approached existentialism as vastly different concepts in terms of practicalism. Nietzsche's separation of man from a conceptual God certainly implies, if not outright declares, individualism whereas Emerson, as you say, preferred to think of man as uniquely separate, yet connected to God via ethereal means in a world where man exists to find and explore God whereas Nietzsche's purposes for man were self-exploratory.

FAX

Hammock Parties 05-15-2009 10:13 PM

I like to ****.

keg in kc 05-15-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 5769953)
Nietzsche's purposes for man were self-exploratory.

FAX

How ironic, I just finished exploring myself not 15 seconds ago.