ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Are multiple 2nd rd picks more valuable? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226716)

Silock 04-18-2010 09:53 PM

Are multiple 2nd rd picks more valuable?

Sorry if this is covered in the other draft threads, but they are huge and intimidating and I don't really want to read through all of the personal attacks on Mecca LMAO

I was thinking about this the other day. Given that a lot of our first-round picks have been busts, can you get just as good of a player in the 2nd round? If so, why wouldn't you at least WANT to trade down to the 2nd round to pick up more players, and as a bonus, pay them less than first-rounder money?

Mecca 04-18-2010 09:55 PM

If you can't hit on a 1st round pick what makes you think you can hit on a lower pick?

And for the most part no you can't get as good of a player.

RustShack 04-18-2010 09:57 PM

This year second round picks are very valuable.. especially if you get more than just a second round pick in trading down. This is a deep year, you want all the picks in the first five rounds you can get.

Hammock Parties 04-18-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685133)
Given that a lot of our first-round picks have been busts, can you get just as good of a player in the 2nd round? If so, why wouldn't you at least WANT to trade down to the 2nd round to pick up more players, and as a bonus, pay them less than first-rounder money?

This is what Carl Peterson did to our fanbase.

Someone hold me.

http://i.imgur.com/3kpaR.jpg

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685133)
Sorry if this is covered in the other draft threads, but they are huge and intimidating and I don't really want to read through all of the personal attacks on Mecca LMAO

I was thinking about this the other day. Given that a lot of our first-round picks have been busts, can you get just as good of a player in the 2nd round? If so, why wouldn't you at least WANT to trade down to the 2nd round to pick up more players, and as a bonus, pay them less than first-rounder money?

If we get two second round picks, I'm open to listening.

If it's just one extra second round pick, it's a stupid move.

acesn8s 04-18-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 6685172)
If we get two second round picks, I'm open to listening.

If it's just one extra second round pick, it's a stupid move.

How about two 1st? 1 this year, 1 next year?

Silock 04-18-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 6685138)
If you can't hit on a 1st round pick what makes you think you can hit on a lower pick?

And for the most part no you can't get as good of a player.

Well, if you have more picks, the odds of hitting on them automatically goes up.

You probably know, but how many of the "elite" players in the league right now were first rounders as compared to those in the lower rounds?

DeezNutz 04-18-2010 10:14 PM

And the Chiefs have a long and storied history of owning picks in the second round.

Look, lets not over-analyze this shit. Just because the Chiefs have drafted exceptionally poorly doesn't mean we need to try to re-invent the wheel.

DeezNutz 04-18-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685195)
Well, if you have more picks, the odds of hitting on them automatically goes up.

You probably know, but how many of the "elite" players in the league right now were first rounders as compared to those in the lower rounds?

No, the odds don't go up.

For example, Mecca could see as many 95 mph fastballs as you wanted to throw. 10? He won't hit one. Throwing 65 won't increase his odds.

The odds only go up for with the draft if you believe Pioli and company are merely throwing darts. After Thursday, we'll know if this should be their future approach.

Silock 04-18-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6685203)

Mathematically they do, but perhaps not practically.

DeezNutz 04-18-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685206)
Mathematically they do, but perhaps not practically.

Incompetency will overshadow any potential statistical increase.

Never underestimate the driving will of stupid.

Pitt Gorilla 04-18-2010 10:20 PM

I realize that Peterson is gone, but have you SEEN our list of 2nd round picks? I mean, really.

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6685203)

For example, Mecca could see as many 95 mph fastballs as you wanted to throw. 10? He won't hit one. Throwing 65 won't increase his odds.

The odds only go up for with the draft if you believe Pioli and company are merely throwing darts. After Thursday, we'll know if this should be their future approach.

The odds could go up in the second round if you draft off a very specific positional value.

For example, drafting Guards and Right Tackles and Centers and Inside Linebackers and Running Backs and Safeties and Tight Ends... those are positions with a pretty high hit rate in the second round.

DeezNutz 04-18-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 6685219)
The odds could go up in the second round if you draft off a very specific positional value.

For example, drafting Guards and Right Tackles and Centers and Inside Linebackers and Running Backs and Safeties and Tight Ends... those are positions with a pretty high hit rate in the second round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6685209)
Incompetency will overshadow any potential statistical increase.

Never underestimate the driving will of stupid.

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acesn8s (Post 6685187)
How about two 1st? 1 this year, 1 next year?

Depends on who the team is. Tough call, though. I'd tend to say no, because this is such a strong draft class.