ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Which failure has cost the Chiefs more? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175868)

el borracho 12-03-2007 10:36 AM

Which failure has cost the Chiefs more?

Please see the poll.

Pushead2 12-03-2007 10:37 AM

There isn't a poll but I will say Carl.

el borracho 12-03-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2
There isn't a poll but I will say Carl.

Of course it has to do with Carl and, yes, there is a poll. Are you always so premature?

OnTheWarpath15 12-03-2007 10:41 AM

Failures in the draft, without question.

Not even close.

Carl has aways given the majority of the draft "power" to his head coaches. Not taking it away from the coaches that can't evaluate talent is his biggest mistake, IMO.

Pushead2 12-03-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho
Of course it has to do with Carl and, yes, there is a poll. Are you always so premature?

I was dropped on me head as a youngster :(

Simplex3 12-03-2007 10:50 AM

Really, one kind of leads to the other, but...

I'll go draft.

Wile_E_Coyote 12-03-2007 10:52 AM

Carl uses the draft to get head coaches. 4th for Herm, DV was a 2nd & 3rd?

Mr. Laz 12-03-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58

Not even close.

Carl has aways given the majority of the draft "power" to his head coaches. Not taking it away from the coaches that can't evaluate talent is his biggest mistake, IMO.

prolly .....

not keeping some separation between talent evaluation and the current coaching staff has lead to inconsistent, if not shitty, drafting.

although i still think good coaching maximizes each draft pick

ie a defense player could crash and burn under vermeil but might be solid under Herm. Most offensive player are gonna have a hard time succeeding under Herm than they would under Vermeil.

proper development heavily influences the draft picks

Rooster 12-03-2007 10:57 AM

All of the above.

Chiefs_5627 12-03-2007 11:02 AM

CP draft.

Hammock Parties 12-03-2007 11:03 AM

Head coach.

Carl sucks at picking head coaches.

donkhater 12-03-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58

Not even close.

Really?

I actually was thinking in the other direction--not even close.

Peterson is going to give a lot of leeway to coaches when it comes to drafting players. In many ways he has to. They are the ones implementing a system and identifying players to fit that system. In the 90's, KC's drafts weren't great, but they weren't horrible either. In fact I would say that they were even above average for the league.

He hires Cunningham and DV, successively, and his ability to judge talent erodes? Doubtful. More likely the coach that is giving huge input is picking the wrong guys. That's not an error in drafting, but an error in picking the head coach.

Now Herm becomes head coach and Peterson knows how to draft again? uh-uh. Herm has picked up talent but is over his head as the head coach.

Peterson is responsible for selecting who he thinks will guide the football team and keeping the books in order. He has done his job on the latter, but on the former he has been woefully inadequate. I give blame (and credit) to the head coaches for the drafts.

King_Chief_Fan 12-03-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATSE
Head coach.

Carl sucks at picking head coaches.

Hades just froze over...I am agreeing with you.

JohninGpt 12-03-2007 11:17 AM

Yes.

MahiMike 12-03-2007 11:17 AM

A good coach w/a good philosophy would have this team at 8-4 instead of 4-8.