ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What is so special about Clausen? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226668)

Mr. Laz 04-17-2010 11:20 AM

What is so special about Clausen?

ok ... so alot of us are looking at Clausen. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Clausen but imo should we be looking at a special guy.

let's face it, the drafturbators just want a big named QB and they don't really give a shit whether the guy is really any good. They have lost their dam minds.

But ... what about the rest of us with a little bit of rationality left in our heads.

Is there anything Elite about Jimmy Clausen? Is he really worth the #5 pick?

Bradford - Elite Accuracy, superior football I.Q., NFL Size
Tebow - elite character, great athletic skills,great motivation
Clausen - ??
McCoy - ??

so let's hear it ... what is ELITE about Jimmy Clausen?

DeezNutz 04-17-2010 11:22 AM

His understanding, approach, and preparation level are all elite.

His physical attributes are all above average.

Hammock Parties 04-17-2010 11:23 AM

Accuracy by all accounts is special.

DeezNutz 04-17-2010 11:24 AM

If we're going to call Bradford's accuracy "elite," it's absolutely appropriate to make the same claim about Clausen's.

chiefzilla1501 04-17-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6681938)
ok ... so alot of us are looking at Clausen. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Clausen but imo should we be looking at a special guy.

let's face it, the drafturbators just want a big named QB and they don't really give a shit whether the guy is really any good. They have lost their dam minds.

But ... what about the rest of us with a little bit of rationality left in our heads.

Is there anything Elite about Jimmy Clausen? Is he really worth the #5 pick?

Bradford - Elite Accuracy, superior football I.Q., NFL Size
Tebow - elite character, great athletic skills,great motivation
Clausen - ??
McCoy - ??

so let's hear it ... what is ELITE about Jimmy Clausen?

I think the issue is moreso why a lot of critics are criticizing character, when character has never really been an issue in his career. In fact, I've heard that in terms of psychological testing, he tested extremely well. So those who say he's the next Ryan Leaf are talking out of their ass.

Mr. Laz 04-17-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6681956)
If we're going to call Bradford's accuracy "elite," it's absolutely appropriate to make the same claim about Clausen's.

really ... you think Clausen is as accurate as Bradford?

Mr. Flopnuts 04-17-2010 11:27 AM

Clausen has elite accuracy and touch on his passes. Now, some would say Bradford has elite accuracy as well. But Clausen also has what no other qb has in this class; an elite level of pro style experience and know how on running an NFL style offense.

While I was higher on Sanchez because of Mark's upside, Jimmy is a better prospect right now, today. Potential doesn't mean shit until it's realized.

I'm convinced that Jimmy will be the super star quarterback out of this class.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-17-2010 11:28 AM

Clausen's "character" issues are media driven only. There is absolutely no evidence that it's accurate at all.

Hammock Parties 04-17-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6681956)

Yup. Almost identical completion percentages at their best, and Clausen doesn't play in the spread.

DeezNutz 04-17-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6681961)
really ... you think Clausen is as accurate as Bradford?

I think they're comparable.

Bradford's skill set is largely underrated on this board, but I have a real hard time defining his accuracy as "elite" because we don't know how it will translate when he is consistently throwing into extremely tight windows.

And I agree with others in this thread that the media is casting a long negative shadow over all things Clausen, at the moment.

OnTheWarpath15 04-17-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6681970)
I think they're comparable.

Bradford's skill set is largely underrated on this board, but I have a real hard time defining his accuracy as "elite" because we don't know how it will translate when he is consistently throwing into extremely tight windows.

Or making those throws when he's under pressure.

Mr. Laz 04-17-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6681965)
Clausen also has what no other qb has in this class; an elite level of pro style experience and know how on running an NFL style offense.

yea ... but knowing a pro style offense is really just a head start, isn't it?

eventually that will even out unless Bradford,Tebow,McCoy have some inability to learn.

DeezNutz 04-17-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6681974)
Or making those throws when he's under pressure.

Absolutely.

And when Bradford has been under duress in his college career, the results have been underwhelming.

Grain of salt, of course, since pressure negatively affects all QBs.

OnTheWarpath15 04-17-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6681976)

eventually that will even out unless Bradford,Tebow,McCoy have some inability to learn.

That must mean that generally, college spread QB's are stupid.

It has only "evened out" for two spread QB's in the history of the league.

DeezNutz 04-17-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6681976)

A head start from a place that some never have the capability of reaching, so I have a hard time defining it as such.

Being able to operate from a pro-set isn't a given or a natural progression.