Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM  
Fat Elvis Fat Elvis is offline
Beard Merit Badge
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Casino cash: $10891274
Any patent lawyers on the board?

I've googled it, but I haven't found a definitive answer; can you patent a method or a process?
Posts: 6,701
Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
FAX FAX is offline
testing ... 1, 2, 3
 
FAX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee
Casino cash: $14074138
Yes.

FAX
Posts: 37,639
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
ClevelandBronco ClevelandBronco is offline
Banned
 
ClevelandBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Casino cash: $160048
I'm going to have to disagree with Mr. FAX on this. Unless you have a special piece of software or hardware that's a key to the process, my understanding is that you cannot be protected by patent.

For instance, if you come up with a new way to milk a goat using only a screwdriver, good for you, but anyone can do it since screwdrivers exist, goats exist and getting milk from them is already done.
Posts: 20,181
ClevelandBronco has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Fairplay Fairplay is offline
MVP
 
Fairplay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: state of mind
Casino cash: $1005031026
No
Posts: 17,323
Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Fairplay has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Bacon Cheeseburger Bacon Cheeseburger is offline
With no ****ing ketchup
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $407537
Yes, please share your idea with me.
Posts: 52,187
Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Ari Chi3fs Ari Chi3fs is offline
Winners Pick Up Wrappers.
 
Ari Chi3fs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: University of Kansas
Casino cash: $1013767
No.


Yes.
__________________


Posts: 26,971
Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
FAX FAX is offline
testing ... 1, 2, 3
 
FAX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee
Casino cash: $14074138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with Mr. FAX on this. Unless you have a special piece of software or hardware that's a key to the process, my understanding is that you cannot be protected by patent.

For instance, if you come up with a new way to milk a goat using only a screwdriver, good for you, but anyone can do it since screwdrivers exist, goats exist and getting milk from them is already done.
I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement, Mr. ClevelandBronco. I was one of the founders of a company that acquired a process patent. I remember it well because it cost us a bloody fortune. In our case, it was a video production process that utilized existing technologies (hardware and software). The process, however, was deemed sufficiently unique that the patent was awarded.

FAX
Posts: 37,639
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
ClevelandBronco ClevelandBronco is offline
Banned
 
ClevelandBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Casino cash: $160048
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement, Mr. ClevelandBronco. I was one of the founders of a company that acquired a process patent. I remember it well because it cost us a bloody fortune. In our case, it was a video production process that utilized existing technologies (hardware and software). The process, however, was deemed sufficiently unique that the patent was awarded.

FAX
I bow to your experience.
Posts: 20,181
ClevelandBronco has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
FAX FAX is offline
testing ... 1, 2, 3
 
FAX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee
Casino cash: $14074138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco View Post
I bow to your experience.
And I bow to your bowing.

FAX
Posts: 37,639
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Bacon Cheeseburger Bacon Cheeseburger is offline
With no ****ing ketchup
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $407537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Chi3fs View Post
No.


Yes.
Maybe.
Posts: 52,187
Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
acesn8s acesn8s is offline
MVP
 
acesn8s's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Here
Casino cash: $9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX View Post
And I bow to your bowing.

FAX
Damn Japanese
__________________
Damnit Dorsey!

Damnit Andy!

We deserve better after 44 years.

Last playoff win 1/16/1994
Last Super Bowl 1/11/1970
Posts: 5,583
acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.acesn8s would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Fat Elvis Fat Elvis is offline
Beard Merit Badge
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Casino cash: $10891274
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement, Mr. ClevelandBronco. I was one of the founders of a company that acquired a process patent. I remember it well because it cost us a bloody fortune. In our case, it was a video production process that utilized existing technologies (hardware and software). The process, however, was deemed sufficiently unique that the patent was awarded.

FAX
Mr. Fax, you may well be my new BFF. The particular process that I am thinking about patenting utilizes existing hardware and software, but my method utilizes it in a field that is completely unrelated to what it was originally intended, and it is unique within the field that I would apply the process.
__________________

Mr. Irrelevant
Posts: 6,701
Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Fat Elvis 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
FAX FAX is offline
testing ... 1, 2, 3
 
FAX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee
Casino cash: $14074138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
Mr. Fax, you may well be my new BFF. The particular process that I am thinking about patenting utilizes existing hardware and software, but my method utilizes it in a field that is completely unrelated to what it was originally intended, and it is unique within the field that I would apply the process.
As I mentioned, Mr. Fat Elvis, ours was a "process" that utilized existing technologies. Heck, as far as I know, other people were using the same "process" that we patented ... we just filed the patent in order to create value in the company. And, because no one else had taken the time or initiative to file previously, we go it through. It cost a lot of money, though ... not sure it was worth it in the end.

So far as I am aware, the process must be unique and withstand a search ... the search is the most expensive part, as I recall. What am I saying? Every part was expensive.

As for the "field" in which the process would be applied, I'm not certain you could patent that part. In other words, it's the unique process itself that can be patented ... not the application. Then again, I'm not a patent attorney so please seek professional guidance.

FAX
Posts: 37,639
FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.FAX is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Amnorix Amnorix is offline
In BB I trust
 
Amnorix's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, Mass.
Casino cash: $212758
You can definitely patent a particular process. I agree with Fax that I'm concerned about trying to patent a process just for use in a previously unexploited field. My understanding, like his, is that the process itself should be unique, not it's application. But though I'm an attorney I'm not a patent attorney, which is a highly specialized field.

And, as Fax also said, getting a patent is not an inexpensive process.

And I think Fax also said something about you seeking professional guidance. That is definitely the right idea as well.

So, in short, I could've just posted his response and replied "This", but I figured I should type alot more words to achieve teh same result instead.
Posts: 32,949
Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Bacon Cheeseburger Bacon Cheeseburger is offline
With no ****ing ketchup
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $407537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnorix View Post
You can definitely patent a particular process. I agree with Fax that I'm concerned about trying to patent a process just for use in a previously unexploited field. My understanding, like his, is that the process itself should be unique, not it's application. But though I'm an attorney I'm not a patent attorney, which is a highly specialized field.

And, as Fax also said, getting a patent is not an inexpensive process.

And I think Fax also said something about you seeking professional guidance. That is definitely the right idea as well.

So, in short, I could've just posted his response and replied "This", but I figured I should type alot more words to achieve teh same result instead.
This.
Posts: 52,187
Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.