PDA

View Full Version : "You think you know, but you just don't know."t

WarPaint
10-21-2000, 10:00 AM
Jim Mora said this to reporters in a post game press conference in the latter days of his New Orleans coaching days. That line could have just as easily been directed to Gun when he took the Chiefs' HC position and said "I know how to win football games"
I've been away for a couple of days, and these are just a couple of observations of developments I'm reading about this A.M.
We are into week 8 of Gun's 2nd season. It took him until week three to figure out that the way to beat teams stacking the line to stop the run is to pass the ball. Now we hear that he thinks that the reason the RBs haven't been successful is because no one back is getting enough carries, and the timing might be a little off. Gee Gun, ya think? Maybe you should have read these Chiefs BBs a little closer. We've been saying that is the problem with RBbC (SitCom) since the day I found the other BB, and I'm sure it's been longer than that.
Maybe by the end of this season he'll come to the realization that, like most of us have been saying since at least the middle of last season, The Three Stooges must go.
And don't forget to give Willie Shaw his walking papers while you're at it.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>

WarPaint
10-21-2000, 10:13 AM
With this in mind, I'm not ready to give up on Gun yet, if he does do the smart thing and fires The Three Stooges. He's growing on the job, has an eye for talent, and is playing the rookies, allowing them to grow on the job. That is something I've wanted to see for a long time in KC. If he brings in coordinators that can maximize the talent the Chiefs have, and find a legitimate NFL RB, maybe he can get some sleep, which could speed up the learning process. And maybe, just maybe the Chiefs could find themselves on their way to something special.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

DIEHARDCHIEF
10-21-2000, 10:21 AM
Couldn't agree with you more Milkman. The talent is there. Lots to get excited about for the next several years if done right.

Dan<BR>

TheBigChief
10-21-2000, 10:23 AM
Problem I forsee: Gun cannot/will not fire the Three Stooges because that would be a huge admittance of fault and poor decision making! He would basically be scrapping his entire coaching staff & starting anew. What then, is to keep CP from taking that one extra step & replacing him(Gun) as well?

Ecto-I
10-21-2000, 11:34 AM
--------->rookie<-------- http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"who are the three stooges?"

------------------
C.R. Pants
(that damn liberal)

JC777
10-21-2000, 11:54 AM
Milkman -
I realize that all head coaches in the NFL basically twist the Rubiks cube all season until the formula falls into place, and it ain't easy. But I agree totally that it takes this coaching staff WAY too long to recognize the obvious. The season is too short to take six games to realize that platooning running backs didn't, doesn't, and will never work. That opening up the passing game takes pressure off the running game. That playing containment defense just postpones the inevitable - long, time consuming scoring drives. Throw in horrible special teams performance and brain dead penalties that quite possibly contributed to at least two losses, and you have a picture of a coach who, for all his purported knowledge and fanaticism, has a disturbingly tenuous grip on the reins. Fire 'em? I don't know. But one thing is for sure - This is a talented YOUNG team that isn't exactly brimming with confidence instilled by their leaders.

WarPaint
10-21-2000, 01:01 PM
Red Pants,
'The Three Stooges' is the nickname those of us who have been regular posters have coined for the Chiefs' coodinators, Jimmy Raye, Kurt Schottenhiemer and Mike Stock.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

WarPaint
10-21-2000, 01:19 PM
HC_Chief,
If Gun will not fire The Three Stooges, whether out loyalty or stupidity, then he should be fired. If he can not, then that must mean CP is dictating his staff. I'm not sure, if I were in Gun's position, that I could stay quiet about that. He is competitive. He wants to win, but his chance to succeed is being undermined by an extremely poor coaching staff.
And this will likely be the only shot he has as a HC.
------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

The SitCom must die!!

[This message has been edited by milkman (edited 10-21-2000).]

redbrian
10-21-2000, 01:28 PM
The only reason Gun is starting the rookies is because he has to. He doesn't have anyone else to play. If he had veteran D-backs that were better than Wesley and Dennis I guarantee you he'd be starting them.

Just like he's starting Anders over Moreau now.

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 10-21-2000).]

WarPaint
10-21-2000, 01:36 PM
He could be starting Atkins, or Walker. He could have kept Rison, he could have kept Dishman. He's starting he rookies by choice. He had choices, ones which we all expected him to make. He didn't, he chose a different path. He made choices we were surprised by, and applauded.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

JC777
10-21-2000, 01:41 PM
As the saying goes, "The fish stinks from the head". It's hard to believe that this coaching staff has been imposed on Cunningham against his will, or that their sub-par performance is outside his sphere of influence. The ultimate responsibility for a teams philosophy and execution is dictated by the head coach, and to think that any one of the Stooges makes broad decisions without a control freak like Cunninghams direction seems thin to me. Firing an entire coaching staff would indicate a complete failure of the head coach.

egonzo
10-21-2000, 02:00 PM
Milkman, we were forced back to the committe after DB's injury. kimble wasn't a 100%. Gun kept naming Cloud the starter, but he could'nt get anything going, hence relying on the passing game. Everything happens for a reason, let's wait and see how kimble does tommorrow. Callling for coaches jobs doesn't solve anything six games into the season.

JOhn
10-21-2000, 02:52 PM
I have come full circle and I am not convinced that jimmy Raye is the problem.

It seems that since GUN has taken the shakles of of Raye, we have a much better O.

I don't see wholesale firings after the season, but I can easily see Kurt being 'released' to go coach with big brother.

Luz
bring back Cower...

WarPaint
10-21-2000, 05:23 PM
Chuck,
My desire to see The Three Stooges take their act elsewhere is nothing new. I wasn't happy that Raye got hired to begin with. After watching KS's defensive schemes last season, I was ready to help him pack his bags, and Stock has been in charge of less than special teams long enough to know he doesn't have them prepared every game. They were special before he took them over.
Luz,
Raye wasn't responsible for the ultra-conservative play, but he was and is responsible for the poor play-calling. Can you envision a Billick or Shannahan in their OC days trying to get a slow plodding RB around the corner, or forgetting about crossing patterns with a receiver like DA. Can you see them going into a shell when up by 10 points with 12 mins to go in the 3rd Qtr.
Sean Salisbury, who I don't think much of usually, said something interesting at the start of the season. "A HC shouldn't be afraid to hire assistents that have HC potential themselves" I agree with that. Do you see a future HC in this group? I certainly don't. IMO, only a moron would hire any of the Chiefs' assistent to run their team.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

Stuckinbama
10-21-2000, 07:55 PM
MM,
I'm also hoping the 3 stooges are gone after the season. Of course I wanted that last season. Why Al Saundars was not made OC is beyond me. I'm hoping that he will get the job next year. He and Carl remain tight.

WarPaint
10-21-2000, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't complain if Saunders was brought back to KC to run the offense. Why Moe Raye was picked over him has me still scrathing my head.
My first choice would be Bruce Arians, though.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.