PDA

View Full Version : NFT Any Golden Retriever owners out there?

Stryker
11-04-2004, 09:19 PM
My family just recently increased in size by one...

A Golden Retriever named "Buddy Lee". He was given to us yesterday by one of my wifes co-workers. He is pure and came with papers.

I read a bunch of stuff on the AKC web page and various other sites but, wanted to know first hand from my fellow Planeteers what they are like.

He will be one year old on December 12th. I keep him outside and he has one bad ass dog house if I must say (we have an indoor Boston Terrier).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. In particular, weather and temperature. Do they like cold weather? What about a 95 degree summer that feels like 100?

Thanks

ZepSinger
11-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Had a Golden for 6 years. Great dogs- very good with kids; very gentle and loving animals, especially females. Pretty high-strung, tho.. could get pretty nervous and do some destructive things, usually from separation anxiety..

Z

Phobia
11-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Had a female for almost 2 years once. She was just reaching an age where she had become more relaxed. The first 2 years of retriever life are most difficult for dog owners.

Anyway, she hit a car. I'm not kidding. She got out and was running down the street.... a car was turning the corner, but the driver saw her. He stopped. She didn't see the car and ran full speed under the front bumper. Broke her back and we had to put her down.

R&GHomer
11-04-2004, 09:39 PM
We had a Golden growing up "Rebel" God bless him. I loved that dog. Best darn dog you could ever ask for. Smart, friendly, loving.... Just the best. If you can get past the first couple of years you will have the best friend ever.

jynni
11-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Any help would be greatly appreciated. In particular, weather and temperature. Do they like cold weather? What about a 95 degree summer that feels like 100?

The dog is a year old? Was it an indoor or outdoor dog before you got him?

Temp extremes are dangerous for any dog. You really have to monitor the situation and adapt to it if neccesary. As long as you have provided him with food, fresh water and a dry comfortable shelter he should be fine. You really need to have a temp place to put him if the weather gets really nasty to one extreme or the other.

The neighbor behind my parents has two outdoor dogs - one labrador and one giant hairy Pynaneese looking mix. The giant hairy one gets shaved every summer. Both dogs stay outside year round, however when temps get too extreme (ice storm, extended negative temps, extended +100 temps) I believe they stay in the basement or the garage. Both have those Dogloo thingys with fresh straw/hey beds and a heated water dish (in the winter). Their backyard has plenty of shade.

Both dogs seem very comfortable and don't really seem to have suffered any ill effects from being outside - their owners are very mindful of the weather and put them in if neccessary. One thing I would say they are lacking in is attention.

Outdoor dogs tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to attention (not saying you would do this, it's just what I have noticed). I've seen them go for days without anyone acknowleding their existance other than to feed them. The poor lab wants to play ball so bad he will push tennis balls at you from under the fence.

Stryker
11-04-2004, 10:13 PM
The dog is a year old? Was it an indoor or outdoor dog before you got him?

Temp extremes are dangerous for any dog. You really have to monitor the situation and adapt to it if neccesary. As long as you have provided him with food, fresh water and a dry comfortable shelter he should be fine. You really need to have a temp place to put him if the weather gets really nasty to one extreme or the other.

The neighbor behind my parents has two outdoor dogs - one labrador and one giant hairy Pynaneese looking mix. The giant hairy one gets shaved every summer. Both dogs stay outside year round, however when temps get too extreme (ice storm, extended negative temps, extended +100 temps) I believe they stay in the basement or the garage. Both have those Dogloo thingys with fresh straw/hey beds and a heated water dish (in the winter). Their backyard has plenty of shade.

Both dogs seem very comfortable and don't really seem to have suffered any ill effects from being outside - their owners are very mindful of the weather and put them in if neccessary. One thing I would say they are lacking in is attention.

Outdoor dogs tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to attention (not saying you would do this, it's just what I have noticed). I've seen them go for days without anyone acknowleding their existance other than to feed them. The poor lab wants to play ball so bad he will push tennis balls at you from under the fence.

I live in Louisiana so bitter cold, ice, snow does not exist. Lows around 30 degrees to 98 or 100 high. I do have a place to keep him inside during favorable conditions but was really curious towards the breed in generals natural habitat for lack of better words. They love water but are they favorable towards cold weather b/c of their coats vs. warm?

Stryker
11-04-2004, 10:18 PM
I really do appreciate all of your comments - thank you.

Phobia - That's a sad story. I lost a 12 year old poodle (my mothers pride and joy) nearly the same way. My parents were out of town during the incident. Imagine having to tell your folks the dog of 12 years died when they returned.

Thanks again

BigRedChief
11-04-2004, 10:58 PM
I've had a golden retriever for over 7 years. He stays mainly indoors. Great with kids. Wife takes him to school and the kids go nuts over him. Horrible watchdogs though. Mainly will just go wherever you are in the house and lay down. Only issue we have had is when there is thunder in the area he goes nuts.

BIG_DADDY
11-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Had a female for almost 2 years once. She was just reaching an age where she had become more relaxed. The first 2 years of retriever life are most difficult for dog owners.

Anyway, she hit a car. I'm not kidding. She got out and was running down the street.... a car was turning the corner, but the driver saw her. He stopped. She didn't see the car and ran full speed under the front bumper. Broke her back and we had to put her down.

Sorry to hear it Phil, that sucks.

Otter
11-04-2004, 11:26 PM
One of my Daddie's Doggies (German Sheppards) favorite playmates is Golden Retriever.

Wonderful dogs.

Can't add much more to than what's been said.

SBK
11-05-2004, 12:28 AM
My wife had one for 13 years. She was fantastic. Keep an eye on the dogs back hips, as they can go bad.

We're thinking about getting one to go along with our black lab.

Phobia
11-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear it Phil, that sucks.

No biggie. It was a long time ago. I was still married to the first one. She took it like she lost her mother, though. Even snipped a lock of hair from the dog to keep in her nightstand. Only dog I've ever had to put down. She was a giant PITA, though. Like I said, most dogs in that family are for the first couple years or until they're fixed.

ChiefsCountry
11-05-2004, 01:09 AM
We don't have golden retreivers but we have labs. And they are great, I'm sure a golden retreiver would be about the same.

Phobia
11-05-2004, 01:12 AM
We don't have golden retreivers but we have labs. And they are great, I'm sure a golden retreiver would be about the same.

They are the same, except more hair everywhere (if you let them in the house). IMO, labs are a little more stout/masculine whereas golden retrievers are more graceful. Personality and performance wise, identical breeds, IMO.

KCWolfman
11-05-2004, 01:38 AM
We had one who just died this past spring. Hamlet was a lot of fun, but strange.

#1. He hunched everything except me after I boxed his ears before he was nuetered.

#2. He hated coming in during cold or wet weather. He would literally stand in the rain and wag his tail. Also loved rolling in the snow

#3. He would bark incessantly for hours (literally 4-5 hours at a time) unless you found something to occupy his time.

#4. He hunched everything except me after he was nuetered.

#5. He would smile on command

#6. He could never walk, even on a leash. He always ran everywhere or pulled you along as best he could

#7. Still hunching

#8. Most good tempered dog of the 12 I have owned in my life

#9. Probably hunching in dog heaven as we speak.