PDA

View Full Version : I'll never read MSNBC Sports again...here's why...

Fat Homer
11-02-2000, 02:06 PM
Raiders will win war against Chiefs

Kansas City is greatly improved, but won't dent Oakland's defense

Nov. 1 — Some teams are great rivals no matter what the records — Kansas City and Oakland are fierce enemies, and when both are scratching for the AFC West title, that makes it much sweeter

CHIEFS AT RAIDERS
You have to respect what both of these teams have accomplished so far this season. Both fare well on offense, defense and kicking game.

The Raiders have a much better defense than the Rams or Seahawks, the Chiefs' last two opponents. Kansas City has clicked well on offense and moved well, but the Raiders should stop them.

Meanwhile, the Raiders' offense has been balanced and impressive. They mix the run and pass well, and they usually can sustain long drivers.

Expect this to be a tight game, as most Chiefs-Raiders slugfests are. But Oakland will prevail at home.

Pick: Raiders

We'll see.... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Bastiges!!!!!
------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 11-02-2000).]

Fat Homer
11-02-2000, 02:08 PM
I know, they are being objective and all but I just can't respect any media that picks the Raiders... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Dr. Red
11-02-2000, 02:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> and they usually can sustain long drivers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, just long enough to give Jano a FG try. I think we learned a lot in the first game, and if we can learn a little more on D from SanD's success, I would be surpised to see the faiders break the plane of the endzone this game.

Fat Homer
11-02-2000, 02:23 PM
that's why I pick 'em to score 15 points...5 Jano FGs...

VAChief
11-02-2000, 02:26 PM
MSNBC Is so full of sh*t. They have been impressive on offense? Please, Rich is one of their leading rushers and we have two receivers that rank higher than timmy b their leading receiver. Rich has a qb rating 10 points lower than Elvis and we are better in the red zone. They better stick to politics because they dont know jack about football.

[This message has been edited by CHIEF1 (edited 11-02-2000).]

morphius
11-02-2000, 02:38 PM
It's annoying to read negative things about your team, but how can you blame the media? Oakland knocked off KC AT ARROWHEAD, and they're 7-1. The Chiefs are playing pretty well, but they have no running game, and struggled with Seattle, a team that Oakland manhandled. Sure, the Raiders squeaked out an unimpressive victory against SD, but they are playing a better brand of football for the most part.

If the Chiefs running game doesn't make some sort of contribution Sunday, they'll be swept by the dreaded Raiders this year IMO.

milkman
11-02-2000, 02:41 PM
Of course they can keep the ball for a long drives. They dink, dunk and run a few, dink dunk and run a few... They are one of only 5 teams in the NFL to not have a pass play over 50 yards.

Fat Homer
11-02-2000, 02:48 PM
Clint, we don't need your voice of reason here... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gifthey are talking about the Raiders...I don't care if what they say is true...it's the Raiders...I know everyone in the free world is picking the Raiders but most have it only by 3 which is the normal home field advantage...

Morph, their brand of the West Coast Offense sucks worse then when we tried it...I'll give them one thing...their running game is better then ours...otherwise...they suck...Chiefs Win....

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 11-02-2000).]

Dr. Red
11-02-2000, 02:49 PM
Clint - make that TWO [very] unimpressive wins against SD.

BigChiefsFan
11-02-2000, 03:03 PM
Long drives? I guess making it 75 yards out of 100 is a long drive . . . too bad for Raiders fan that JanaCOWski has to finish the last 25 for them. But I still can't pick the Chiefs—they will surly lose then. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

MM
--Still convinced I affect the outcome.<BR>

Chiefaholic
11-02-2000, 03:25 PM
I dunno, guys. Article seems fine to me.

We're 7-1, we suck. We sustain long drives by dink-dunk, are 7-1, and suck. We took two straight at Arrowhead, dink-dunk, are 7-1, and suck. When we dink-dunk, sweep KC, and go 8-1, do we still suck?

Stuckinbama
11-02-2000, 03:26 PM
Their assessment of things sounds about right to me. I als think the game will be close and in the end the Raidas will win it. The main reason why is because we CAN'T RUN the football. It's ironic that the very thing that the Chiefs took for granted is their biggest achillies! IF we can run it, we'll win!

Stuckinbama
11-02-2000, 03:32 PM
Duck,
IF that happens the RAIDAS WILL $UCK EVEN WORSE! *grin* Here's the deal, the Raiders are the ONLY 7-1 team that does NOT scare me one bit. I know that they're 7-1 but it seems like they're doing it with mirrors. They have won ALL the close ones and could easily be 2-5. All you have to do to beat them is stop the dink junk and MAKE Gannon beat you with his arm. Denver did it, rather easily and so can the Chiefs IF we just pick our spots to RUN EFFECTIVELY.

Stuckinbama
11-02-2000, 03:33 PM
I CAN'T add - that should be 3-5.

egonzo
11-02-2000, 04:03 PM
Clint, that logic is useless...They struggled with SD, and we manhandled them.

These teams are too evenly matched to predict a winner. I say whoever scores last wins...Too many years of knowing how close these games always are.

Hopefully a healthy Bennet and not-so-healthy Wheatley will tip the scales.

Chiefaholic
11-02-2000, 04:20 PM
Bolt-Raider games are always brutal contests. Something about the individual matchups - they pound one another into a pulp. KC seems to have an easier time with San Diego than the Raiders do. Just like the Raiders match up better against Seattle than KC does. Last year KC was swept by the Hawks and just squeaked by this year. We blew them out 31-3. Does that mean Oakland is vastly superior to KC? Of course not. Its a function of differing individual matchups when playing different teams.

My opinion is that if both KC and Oakland bring their "A" game, its going to be a toss-up determined by a field goal. Just like the last 3 meetings. Momentum seems to shift quarter by quarter when KC and Oakland clash. Raiders blew the first quarter and KC jumped ahead. KC failed to score in the second half, and Oakland nipped them. In my opinion, the game is just too close to call (of course, I pick Oakland to win). But the way KC and Oakland match up with one another has nothing to do with how either team matches up with San Diego or Seattle.

We're finally playing as a team - tha's why we're 7-1. We were 5-8 in close games last year, this year we're 5-0. Running and dink-dunk usually makes for a close game. But this year we're winning. Check out this quote from Gun about Gruden:

"I didn't know guys at his age could be old school coaches but he's certainly taken that approach. I think he's very disciplined with the team and I think the discipline has carried the Raiders. Where in the past there was more free-willing going on, you don't see that anymore. I think you see a team and not a bunch of individual guys and I think that's what's carried them."

Stuckinbama
11-02-2000, 04:52 PM
Duck,
I agree. When the Raiders signed Gruden, I was sure that Al wwould not let him run things his way. I knew he was a good coach, but I thought for sure that AL would blow things up. I knew that Jeff George was not a good fit for the "short-dink" style that Gruden likes to run. Shoot, Randall Cunningham couldn't grasp it in Philly and I knew that George wouldn't work out in that system. Gruden went out and got the PERFECT QB for his system. It's really the ONLY system that Gannon can run - but he is the BEST at it, downright deadly! Kudos to Gruden for keeping Al Davis under control and for getting Gannon. Because of that, more than anything, is the reason why the Oakland KC games mean something again! As much as I HATE it, I'm GLAD that Oakland Is good again. Now I remember why I LOVED TO HATE THE RAIDERS when I was growing up! *grin*

Chiefaholic
11-02-2000, 07:40 PM
I get the feeling that the Bolts just plain old don't care for us as a team. It almost borders on a dislike for the Raiders. I certainly hope the Chiefs don't hold a similar ill will against us. Check this out from CBS - the biggest fine yet for being a meanie. You Chiefs better be nice to us or we'll tell a zebra on you...

"San Diego Chargers strong safety Rodney Harrison was fined $40,000 by the NFL on Thursday -- one of the biggest in league history -- for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Oakland Raiders tight end Jeremy Brigham on Sunday night.

Harrison was fined because of the helmet-to-helmet contact and because Brigham was in a defenseless position, NFL spokeswoman Leslie Hammond said. The large dollar amount was also due, in part, because Harrison has been fined several times before, Hammond said." <P>