PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so quiet here...

gonzo88
11-05-2000, 05:13 AM
Last I checked its Raider week and possibly the most important game of the season. I'll be in Harrisburg Pa. at a bar called Zembies cheering my a$$ of in the corner by myself wearing beers from Redskin and Eagles fans.

When I take that first yuengilng bottle over the head I'm gonna need some Chief karma to bring me back to conciseness.

Lets let the dogs out!!! (sorry Mr. Dole)

California Injun
11-05-2000, 07:57 AM
I can sympathize with the bar thing... I'll be at Willies in Cincinnati where Raider fans love to turn up and heckle. Fortunately, I have 6 or 7 other loyal Chief fans to help me give it right back to them!
We've made such an impact at this place, that we've been interviewed on local T.V.!
Here's hoping the Chiefs bring the "A" team on the field today!

Luv the Tigers & Chiefs
11-05-2000, 07:58 AM
It's the calm before the storm!
The Raiders have had their way the last 2 games and the Chiefs are going to put an end to that today. They will dominate the Raiders on their homefield. They will lay to rest this idea the Raiders seem to have that they are the best team in this division.

THE CHIEFS WILL TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS!!!!!
I HATE THE RAIDERS!!!!!!!!

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 08:03 AM
Thanks, Otter. Bob Dole truly appreciates it...

It wasn't bad enough to hear that crap at Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon (and for the record, Bob Dole actually yelled "turn that crap off"), but now Bob Dole has to be subjected to it while in sanctuary.

Bob Dole supposes since it's Raider week, Bob Dole will just let the anger build and unleash it on some Raider fans later today. (Verbally--no knives, mind you.)

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 08:25 AM
Bob Dole,
We appreciate your diescretion regarding the knives. However. might I suggest that you keep yourself in a position that doesn't show RaidaFan your back.
On another note, I have a question. Which team's fans began the use of the Tomahawk chop and chant? I was watching Florida State-Clemson last night, and the Seminole fans began the chant. My wife, from the other room asked "Who stole your Tomahawk Chant?"

------------------

Red Eyes
A message to The Three Stooges from Judge Smaels.
"Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too"

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 08:29 AM
Bob Dole is not up on the history of the chant. Seems like there was a thread arguing that point a few weeks back, though.

Bob Dole has his back covered. Bob Dole's assigned seat at the bar places Bob Dole's back against a brick support column.

Silly bastiges would be advised not to bring a knife to a gunfight, anyway...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 08:47 AM
Here's an interesting history of the chant/chop from an <a href="http://seminoles.fansonly.com/trads/fsu-trads-chant.html">FSU perspective</a>.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 08:54 AM
Thanks Bob Dole,
Fairly interesting. But it doesn't really answer the question does it? The piece could almost be described as noncommital and evasive.

------------------

Red Eyes

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 08:57 AM
Bob Dole thought the same thing. Curiously, everyone's but FSU was assigned a specific year and FSU got a fuzzy decade.

And another article <a href="http://web.cln.com/archives/atlanta/newsstand/080198/v_jazz.htm">attributes the chop to Atlanta's stadium organist</a>.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 09:07 AM
Maybe I'm just a Chief homer, and I want to remember it this way, but I believe I remember the Tomahawk chop and chant in KC in the early 70's, and these two articles date the Seminoles' chop and chant in the mid eighties, evolving from earlier songs and cheers. and the Braves only goes back 11 years.
Is that how you read it Bob Dole?

------------------

Red Eyes

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 09:11 AM
Bob Dole read the FSU article as claiming that one of their alum brought it to KC as band director for Northwest Missouri State in 1969, but reads no substantial evidence that it truly existed at FSU prior to that year.

As you said...evasive.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 09:28 AM
Most of the articles thus far attribute the origin to FSU, but grant the Braves the "honor" of using it as a successful marketing tool.

Bob Dole is content with that. While Bob Dole is certainly not PC (those few here that have met Bob Dole in person can probably attest to that), Bob Dole would have no problem if it never again reared its head at Arrowhead.

The Chiefs organization, in general, has escaped much of the wrath of Native Americans, which is typically aimed at high schools, Cleveland, Atlanta and FSU. We've stuck to an arrowhead logo and have a ridiculous wolf as a mascot. We eliminated Warpaint and instead have that poor b@stard who has to circle the entire field carrying a giant flag. The Chiefs have been generally cooperative and Bob Dole thinks that reflects well on the organization and the community, while still maintaining some sense of tradition.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 09:35 AM
I don't really care about PC when it comes to sports, team names, logos, mascots et al, but the one place that you think shold be PC is DC, and yet, there they are, the Redskins. And it seems that they are without controversy in the PC arena. Even the Sad Diego ST. Aztecs have come under fire recently!

------------------

Red Eyes

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 09:39 AM
Bob Dole's point was that the KC organization has been generally respectful of Native American's wishes by attempting to eliminate sterotypes.

It's the least we can do after killing them without any real justification, referring to them as savages in our Declaration of Independence, and forcing them to try to exist in a capitalist society on the barren lands that European immigrants didn't want.

Bob Dole probably should leave it at that...

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 09:52 AM
HELLO....HELLO..Hello..hello.lo.
The place is echoing now!

------------------

Red Eyes

milkman
11-05-2000, 10:27 AM
I'm looking forward to the real time game thread later today, but it is kind of early and some people are at church, and others are crawling out of bed after a late night.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 10:30 AM
Bob Dole isn't allowed to participate in those any more...<P>

milkman
11-05-2000, 10:34 AM
Dole- If we found you on we might have to send a hitman, since it probably means your at home and you are not allowed to be there.

milkman
11-05-2000, 10:39 AM
Of course it could be so quiet because we are waiting for our weekly installment of a keyshawn johnson interview. Why the hell do they have to talk to this guy every week? He is not that important and is not having a great year. Interview Alexander, he is at least making big plays.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 10:44 AM
You must be talking about ESPN. About 40 minutes into the show and Chiefs-Raiders have only been mentioned in passing in the focus on the Titans-Steelers. ESPN sucks!

------------------

Red Eyes

milkman
11-05-2000, 10:47 AM
Milkman - Yup, I'm now just flipping channels and waiting for Fox to come on, so I can watch their interview with KJ. Yipeee!!!

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 10:49 AM
Here's another surprise. Sterling Sharpe just called Shannon Sharpe "the best tight end in football."
I wonder if he might be a little biased?

------------------

Red Eyes

milkman
11-05-2000, 10:53 AM
What the best TE in football that hasn't scored a TD in a while and who can't block like TE's are supposed to be able to do. Must have a different definition of TE.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 11:02 AM
Who are we to question Sharpe? After all he is an "expert"
Tony is obvously nothing special. This record he's about to break today means nothing.
Quick, the Key is on! Don't miss it!......yawn

------------------

Red Eyes

bigdaddychieffan
11-05-2000, 11:03 AM
The best TE in football is gonna get 100+ receiving yds for the 4th consecutive week plus 2 TD catches today. Bet on it.

And he won't be wearing a Raven uniform.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 11:06 AM
Tampa Bay blah blah blah blah. Keyshawn Johnson blah blah blah...

Mike Keck must be an ESPN producer.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 11:07 AM
No need to send the hitman, Morph.

(And let it be know that Bob Dole is catching some grief this morning for going to the bar when the thing is on CBS.)

milkman
11-05-2000, 11:10 AM
Dole - Yeah, that has to be fun to explain to people, I'm sure it is followed by finger pointing and lot of laughing.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 11:30 AM
Over 65 minutes into the show, and the Chiefs finally got some run on the New York/New England leader in sports
Bob Dole can't watch the game at home. The milkman can't tape the game. Every game the milkman has taped (or had taped for him) the Chiefs have lost. So much for the milkman's Chiefs video library.

------------------

Red Eyes

milkman
11-05-2000, 11:33 AM
I think maybe it is quiet because of all the excitement getting ready to watch the FFox first game of the Cowboys and the Eagle, I had this written down on my calander as a must see game and would never have forgiven myself if I wold have missed it.

Probably more exciting then watching a Bengals Browns matchup, but not much else.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 11:38 AM
Jeff,
I'm looking forward to that Raven/Bungle game, watching Sarpe continue to estabish himself as the best TE in football by not catching a TD pass again, and generally makng his non-contribution toa Raven's loss to the Bungles.

------------------

Red Eyes

milkman
11-05-2000, 11:38 AM
Anybody notice that it is Gonzo pic behind Howie on Fox? Pretty cool.

milkman
11-05-2000, 11:40 AM
Milkman - The CBS game before the Chiefs is the Colts Bears game, like that will be a battle. I thought that the Ravens Bungels game would rank right up there with excitement.

WarPaint
11-05-2000, 11:47 AM
Thank God for NFL Sunday Ticket! I don't have a clue which games the local affiliates here have lined up.

------------------

Red Eyes

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2000, 12:06 PM
I must agree that it is the calm before the storm. The game is televised on CBS here today. I usually watch the games on DSS but no need to today. My neighbor accross the street is a bandwagon Raider fan turncoat Saints fan. I can't wait to see who he roots for in a couple of weeks when the Raiders play the Saints here! We each have our flags flying off the front porch so I am PRAYING I can have some smart-assed comments to holler @ him! My wife brought home the "Who Let the Dogs Out" MP3 file which I converted to cda so I guess I can crank it up with the front door open each time we score http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif Sorry Bob but I must use all the ammo I can muster!

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

BroncoFan
11-05-2000, 12:11 PM
Stryker
LOL on the "who let the dogs out"
Never have to much ammo.

I know I'm in the minority, but I kinda like the song.

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2000, 12:14 PM
JOhn:

My 11 year old and my wife love it so I guess it has grown on me too!

mlyonsd
11-05-2000, 12:17 PM
One post before I gotta go (watching the game on a boat today).... why in the **** do they have that "impartial" Kevin Harlan listed as the game announcer... The Raiders better win if I have to put up with that guy gushing over Gonzo lke a little schoolgirl with a crush again.... He was unbearable during the Seahawk telecast.

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2000, 12:18 PM
Also my wifes co-worker who is a good friend of ours lost her dog when she "let him out". The dog never came back so...I always say "Tammy let the dog out WHOO WHOO!"

The same thing happened to my sister-in-law!

Stryker
If the shoe fits...

milkman
11-05-2000, 12:18 PM
Morphius is Jammin to a little pregame Bawitba, Rock and Roll part 2, O Fortuna, and the Slipknots Wait and Bleed (It odesn't fit, but still a great pump up song).

BroncoFan
11-05-2000, 12:21 PM
JQ,
Get over it bud http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

It's better than listening to Madden GUSH all over the Faiders, or worse yet the Cowgirls!!!!

It's about time we had an announcer who at lest gives KC some credit!!

milkman
11-05-2000, 12:21 PM
JQ - One of the announcers was talking about the 5 INT's that Grbac threw during the Chargers game this year, it was 5 TD's. I thought I was going to have to kill the guy.

I should have added that it was durning the seahawks game.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 11-05-2000).]

milkman
11-05-2000, 01:03 PM
17 poitn lead for Chicago over Colts, I did not see that coming.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-05-2000, 01:13 PM
Bob Dole was looking for someone to pick over the Colts (picked the Lions last week), but thought there was no chance in hel1 that Chicago would defeat them.

Of course, it ain't over...

[This message has been edited by Robert_Dole (edited 11-05-2000).]

milkman
11-05-2000, 01:17 PM
Nice edit there Bob. I made a couple of bad picks just going off of nothing more then the other team is due for a loss, it is not paying off for me well so far.