PDA

View Full Version : Giambi Admits to doing Steriods

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1936592

Jason Giambi admitted to a federal grand jury that he took steroids and human growth hormone in 2003, according to transcripts of testimony obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle and published in the newspaper's Thursday editions.

Jason Giambi Comes Clean
# Giambi admits to using steroids ESPN Motion
# Olney: Poster (bad) boy
# Giambi chronology
# Hearings on BALCO might happen
# Stark: BALCO now a tornado
# Your thoughts
# Vote: Giambi and steroids
# FAQ on steroids

The New York Yankees slugger's admission in December 2003 contradicts denials he has made since then that he never took performance-enhancing drugs.

In the testimony obtained by the Chronicle, the former American League MVP told the grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative steroids case that he used steroids obtained from Greg Anderson, the personal trainer for San Francisco Giants star Barry Bonds.

Anderson's attorney, Tony Serra, declined comment to the Chronicle, citing a court order.

Giambi did not implicate Bonds in his testimony; he pointed out that Anderson was secretive about who he was working for and what he was doing to help other professional athletes.

In the transcripts obtained by the Chronicle, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Nedrow asked Giambi, "Did [Anderson] ever say, 'Don't be talking about getting stuff from me?' "

"That's what I mean by saying that he made it so, you know, private, that you know, 'Hey, don't say anything, don't talk about anything,' " Giambi told the grand jury. "You know, I assumed because he's Barry's trainer -- you know, Barry -- but he never said one time, 'This is what Barry's taking, this is what Barry's doing.' He never gave up another name that he was dealing with or doing anything with."

Bonds, a seven-time National League MVP, has denied using steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

Giambi's younger brother Jeremy, a former Oakland outfielder, also told the grand jury he injected banned drugs received from Anderson, the Chronicle reported.

Both Giambis said they had used steroids even earlier in their baseball careers. They were granted immunity from prosecution if they told the truth to the grand jury, but faced perjury charges if they did not.

Jason Giambi described to the grand jury how -- using syringes -- he injected human growth hormone into his stomach and testosterone into his buttocks.

Giambi called the products he obtained from Anderson "undetectable" steroids known as "the clear" and "the cream."

"The clear" is a liquid drug administered under the tongue a few drops at a time. "The cream" was described as a testosterone-based balm rubbed onto the body, the Chronicle reported.

Giambi said he obtained all the drugs -- and syringes -- except human growth hormone from Anderson. Giambi said he got the human growth hormone at a Gold's Gym in Las Vegas.

Jason Giambi
Jason Giambi was the AL MVP in 2000 with the Athletics.

Giambi testified Anderson sent him several different drugs, including testosterone, "the cream" and "the clear." Giambi added Anderson gave him advice on the use of human growth hormone.

"Did Mr. Anderson provide you with actual injectable testosterone?" Assistant U.S. Attorney Nedrow asked Giambi.

"Yes," replied Giambi.

Then, in reference to an alleged steroid calendar from January 2003, Nedrow asked, "OK. And this injectable T, or testosterone, is basically a steroid, correct?"

"Yes," Giambi replied

"And did he talk to you about the fact it was a steroid at the time?" Nedrow asked.

"Yeah, I mean, I -- I don't know if we got into a conversation about it, but we both knew about it, yes," Giambi told the grand jury.

Giambi said Anderson described "the cream" and "the clear" as "an alternative to steroids, but it doesn't show on a steroid test.

"And he started talking about that it would raise your testosterone levels, you know, which would basically make it a steroid ... or maybe he said it's an alternative of taking an injectable steroid. That might be a better way to put it."

Bonds brought Anderson on a barnstorming players' tour of Japan after the big-league season in 2002. Giambi said it was on that November trip he met the trainer.

In his testimony, Giambi said he asked Anderson about the things Bonds was doing to stay at an elite level.

"So I started to ask him: 'Hey, what are the things you're doing with Barry? He's an incredible player. I want to still be able to work out at that age and keep playing,' " Giambi testified. "And that's how the conversation first started."

According to the transcripts obtained by the Chronicle, Giambi testified he called Anderson after their return from overseas and then flew to the San Francisco area in either late November or early December to meet at a gym down the street from BALCO in Burlingame, Calif.

Giambi said the two went to a hospital for Giambi to provide blood and urine samples, which were then taken to BALCO.

According to the transcripts obtained by the Chronicle, Giambi said he and Anderson then began discussing various performance-enhancing drugs Anderson could supply. Also, when Anderson received the results of Giambi's blood and urine tests, Anderson told him he had tested positive for Deca-Durobolin -- a steroid Giambi said he had obtained from the Las Vegas gym -- and that he should discontinue its use because it could stay in his system a long time.

Giambi said Anderson assured him the drugs he provided in baseball's offseason would be out of his system before Giambi was called for a steroid test.

Giambi, a four-time All-Star who played his first seven seasons in Oakland, has been unable to duplicate his 2000 MVP success in three seasons with the Yankees. Giambi signed a seven-year, $120 million contract with the Yankees after the 2001 season.

He played with a knee injury in 2003 and missed more than half the 2004 season with an intestinal parasite and a benign tumor that reportedly was on his pituitary gland. The unusual ailments led many to question whether they were steroid related, but Giambi continued to deny ever taking steroids.

The Chronicle also reported Giambi testified he helped his younger brother obtain drugs from Anderson.

Jeremy Giambi told the grand jury Anderson described "the clear" and "the cream" as undetectable "alternatives to steroids."

"For all I knew, it could have been baby lotion," Jeremy Giambi told the grand jury.

Anderson, BALCO founder Victor Conte, vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny all have pleaded not guilty to the charges, which include steroid distribution.

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Well it was clear he was on steriods when he looses 10 pounds of muscle over the winter. With all these steriods these people will start to drop like flys when they are 50. They probably own mean pitbulls too. tic

beavis
12-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I think you're right. I think it's probably more rampant in the league than we really know. We'll find out in a couple of years when they all start croaking.

jAZ
12-02-2004, 01:50 PM
If I were the Yankees, I would sue his ass for cheating to obtain a big money deal. He's been stealing money from them for 3 years now.

A cheater, a fraud and a theif.

beavis
12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
If I were the Yankees, I would sue his ass for cheating to obtain a big money deal. He's been stealing money from them for 3 years now.

A cheater, a fraud and a theif.
Kind of off topic, but it's poetic justice in my mind. Steinbrenner overpayed and got screwed. You'd think he'd eventually learn his lesson and stop handing out these big money contracts.

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
next on the cutting block is going to be barry bonds

beavis
12-02-2004, 02:24 PM
He'll never fess up to it.

Brando
12-02-2004, 02:38 PM
I hope that they take their time to cut threw him with a rusty handsaw. Fuggin' Prick! :cuss:

Deberg_1990
12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Wow!! what a shocker!! I had no idea that he would ever do such a thing!!! Im just glad that my favorite baseball player of all time, Barry Bonds would never lower himself to use such things.

Brando
12-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Wow!! what a shocker!! I had no idea that he would ever do such a thing!!! Im just glad that my favorite baseball player of all time, Barry Bonds would never lower himself to use such things.
Yes! Wrestling is real too!

Deberg_1990
12-02-2004, 02:47 PM

Wrestling is REAL! Its just "scripted" Those guys bust their butts out there about 300 nights a year.

jAZ
12-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Major League Baseball... the Wraslin' of major American sports.

KCJake
12-02-2004, 03:03 PM
With all these steriods these people will start to drop like flys when they are 50. They probably own mean pitbulls too. tic

You have no idea what your talking about :rolleyes:

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 03:04 PM
100 million dollars later WHO THE FVCK CARES?

shakesthecat
12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
100 million dollars later WHO THE FVCK CARES?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe those that care about the integrity of the sport.

Or maybe someone like Henry Aaron, who did it the right way, only to watch some juiced up jackass like Bonds steal his record.

Saulbadguy
12-02-2004, 03:10 PM

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 03:54 PM
alot of people are going "Care" everyone loves to tear down hero's.

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 03:56 PM
You have no idea what your talking about :rolleyes:

i was being fasicous

beavis
12-02-2004, 04:08 PM

Or maybe someone like Henry Aaron, who did it the right way, only to watch some juiced up jackass like Bonds steal his record.
:clap:

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 04:17 PM

You pay the hundred million then, nothing has changed. Growth hormone still cannot be detected and Bonds who is under the gun is still rippen them at a level that makes him a MVP for the National league. Growth Hormone is still in every sport and has been since the late 70s. Sports has changed permanently and forever with technology. The search for performance enhancing supplements will never end we will just end up with a giant list of banned substances that the goverment will want to send people down the road for using.

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 04:19 PM

I am going to laugh my ass off if they don't finger him after all the shit people have posted on this BB. I know, I know, you all would find him guilty anyway.

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 04:47 PM
with or without steriods, barry is still in the top 76 best baseball players who ever played

Deberg_1990
12-02-2004, 04:49 PM
with or without steriods, barry is still in the top 76 best baseball players who ever played

True, then why did he ever need to take the roids??

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 04:50 PM

He wanted to be one of the 50 best players that ever lived.

Miles
12-02-2004, 04:53 PM

More power numbers which people tend to point to first when looking at great hitters.

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 04:54 PM
For those of you who support this whole Balco probe I have some questions for you.

1. Why should steroids be illegal and why should we be sending people down the river for using it? Don't tell me for health reasons either as I have shot it down over and over.

2. Why should professional sports be regulated by our government?

3. Why should tax payers dollars be used when many people don't give a rats ass about sports?

4. What is wrong with letting sports regulate themselves?

Deberg_1990
12-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Tommorow night on 20/20 they are doing a story on one of the Balco doctors. Supposedly he is going to name names.....we shall see...

Saulbadguy
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm going to take steroids and punch you all in the FACE.

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 04:57 PM

The clairvoyant speaks again. Please tell me Deberg, what supplements do members of our own team use?

Saulbadguy
12-02-2004, 04:58 PM
For those of you who support this whole Balco probe I have some questions for you.

1. Why should steroids be illegal and why should we be sending people down the river for using it? Don't tell me for health reasons either as I have shot it down over and over.

3. Why should tax payers dollars be used when many people don't give a rats ass about sports?

1. The government can't make money off it.

2. Ask George Bush.

3. Ask George Bush.

4. Ask George Bush.

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Tommorow night on 20/20 they are doing a story on one of the Balco doctors. Supposedly he is going to name names.....we shall see...

I don't know why they just don't interview you, you seem to already know more than Victor Conte.

Deberg_1990
12-02-2004, 05:00 PM
The clairvoyant speaks again. Please tell me Deberg, what supplements do members of our own team use?

Im sure they use tons of the stuff to be honest with ya. But then again, this Defense aint exactly breaking any records like Bonds are they??

Saulbadguy
12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Peyton Manning must be juicing. He's going to shatter Dan Marinos record. I feel bad since Dan actually had to work at it.

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Im sure they use tons of the stuff to be honest with ya. But then again, this Defense aint exactly breaking any records like Bonds are they??

Funny, almost everyone who has ever used hasn't broken records.

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 05:05 PM
i am somewhat dissapointed with giambi muscles while under steriods. He wasn't as huge as expected if you take steriods and lift all the time.

Deberg_1990
12-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Funny, almost everyone who has ever used hasn't broken records.

So if Bonds admits to it, or they ever prove that he did, do you think he should have an Asterick next to his name in the record books??

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Bonds is guilty of being an asshole. Being an asshole while making a billion dollars is unnacceptable in the publics eye.

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Be that as it may, it's something I aspire to.

Oh, to be a filthy rich insufferable prick. I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about it.

AND I KNEW HIM WHEN HE WAS JUST A PRICK

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 05:50 PM
So if Bonds admits to it, or they ever prove that he did, do you think he should have an Asterick next to his name in the record books??

I could care less, it won't happen though. As old as he is with the government all over his ass though he is still the NL MVP. The one thing I do wish is I could find out how much money we wasted on this, it can't be cheap.

BIG_DADDY
12-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Bonds is guilty of being an asshole. Being an asshole while making a billion dollars is unnacceptable in the publics eye.

That's just calling it like it is, I can respect the fact that a lot of people don't like him because of that too.

Rausch
12-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Gee....who'da thunk it.

beavis
12-02-2004, 11:52 PM

1. I don't really give a shit if they are illegal or not. But arguing with you about it is pointless since you refuse to admit there are any health risks involved. My whole beef is it taints the game. It's no different than Sosa using a corked bat.

2. It shouldn't, anymore than any other business anyway. Baseball still having an antitrust exemption when no other sport does is a total joke.

3. 99% of tax dollars are used on things I give a rats about. I'm not suprised that this is no different.

4. They should, but baseball as a rule has been incapable of doing it to date. It won't be fixed until that changes

beavis
12-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1936931)

Giambi may have breached contract

By Jayson Stark
ESPN.com

Jason Giambi may have given the New York Yankees an opening to attempt to void his contract by admitting he took illegal steroids, according to an attorney familiar with the language in baseball's guaranteed contracts.

Major League Uniform Player's Contract
The following segment came from Article 3 of the uniform player's contract under Major League Baseball's 2003-2006 Basic Agreement:

Termination By Club
7. (b) The Club may terminate this contract upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining waivers of this contract from all other Major League Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:

(1) fail, refuse or neglect to conform his personal conduct to the standards of good citizenship and good sportsmanship or to keep himself in first-class physical condition or to obey the Club's training rules; or

(2) fail, in the opinion of the Club's management, to exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability to qualify or continue as a member of the Club's team; or

(3) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this contract.

All guaranteed contracts, the attorney told ESPN.com, contain clauses that could be applied to a case such as Giambi's -- specifically these two:

The player must agree to keep himself in first-class physical condition and adhere to all training rules set by the club.

The use or misuse of illegal or prescription drugs can be interpreted to mean the player is not keeping himself in first-class physical condition.

If the Yankees can prove that Giambi misrepresented himself by failing to admit that his performance was enhanced by the use of illegal drugs, they can attempt to convert the remainder of the contract to a non-guaranteed deal by claiming Giambi was in breach of contract, the attorney said.

However, all those issues appear to be academic for the moment -- if only because neither the Yankees nor major-league baseball feels they can take any disciplinary action based solely on a newspaper story, according to one MLB source.

"This is still a democracy," the source said. "So the whole thing is problematic right now. You can't discipline anybody based on an alleged reading of a transcript that was supposed to be sealed. ... Not only is there no viable proof, but he gave this testimony under a grant of immunity and a promise of confidentiality that is protected under a federal statute (banning the leak of grand jury testimony)."

At some point in the next few months, though, the BALCO case is expected to go to trial. And what happens if Giambi's grand jury testimony is ever read or cited during that trial -- or if he is asked the same questions under oath?

"Then," the source said, "this becomes a different case."

And rest assured it is a case that MLB and the Yankees will be following very closely -- because given the uncertainty hovering over Giambi's future even before this story broke, there is every reason to suspect the Yankees would pursue all possible avenues to get out from under the massive Giambi tab they still have to pay.

Giambi has more than $80 million still owed him on the seven-year, $120 million deal he signed in December 2001 -- $11 million in 2005, $18 million in $2006, $21 million in both 2007 and 2008, a $5-million buyout of a $22 million option in 2009 and a prorated portion of his $17 million signing bonus.

In order to void the contract, the Yankees would have to link Giambi's health problems this season to his steroid use, the attorney said. Or they would have to prove he misrepresented himself and his abilities by failing to disclose his steroid use in advance.

But two lawyers on the players' side said Thursday that if the Yankees ever do attempt to pursue those allegations, they would be wasting their time.

"The Yankees may well try to make those arguments," said one. "But they don't have any legitimate chance of flying."

The biggest problem in proving those claims, said the second lawyer, is that all drug-related cases are supposed to be dealt with only under baseball's drug agreement. So specific clauses can't be hand-picked out of the standard player contract and used to dodge an IOU a team no longer feels like paying, the lawyer said.

But how will that drug agreement deal with someone like Giambi? There is a potential dispute looming over that, too.

The union would likely argue that whatever Giambi did took place in a period not covered by this agreement.

MLB, on the other hand, would claim that the steroid agreement was already in effect in 2003 -- so Giambi could be subject to discipline because he admitted to using substances that were specifically prohibited by that agreement.

But even if the union were to concede that point, it could still argue that Giambi should be considered only a first-time offender. And first-time offenders aren't named or disciplined under the agreement. They merely enter a treatment and counseling program.

The MLB source contends, however, that this is a hazy area.

"The agreement specifically says what happens with a positive test," the source said. "It also says what happens if you can prove probable cause. But it doesn't say what happens if you just admit it."

So MLB is expected to summon Giambi, at some point, for a meeting with the commissioner. And eventually, depending on where this story goes from here, baseball could consider trying to impose a suspension.

Or the Yankees could attempt to address this matter on their own -- starting with an exploration of whether it would be possible to void the contract.

But voiding the contract isn't the Yankees' only option. They would also have two other potential avenues, according to the MLB source:

1. Attempting to convert Giambi's deal to a non-guaranteed contract (ostensibly by claiming breach of contract).

Or 2. refusing to pay Giambi for time missed while injured (ostensibly because they would allege that that time missed resulted from steroid use).

But you don't need to do a 200-page study of baseball's labor history to know the union would fight any of those measures.

The union has always argued that, in cases like this, the basic agreement supercedes any specific language in individual player contracts. And the basic agreement would protect Giambi's guaranteed money in virtually all cases.

Jason Giambi has four years left on his contract.

However, the union did not fight the Yankees when they negotiated a buyout of Aaron Boone's contract last winter, after Boone blew out his knee playing basketball -- an activity specifically prohibited by his contract.

The Yankees, according to sources, also looked into the possibility of attempting to void Kevin Brown's contract after Brown broke his hand in September by punching a wall in the clubhouse -- but chose not to act.

This, however, would be a much more high-profile and much more volatile case.

"This is a huge, huge, huge issue," the first attorney said, "on all fronts. First and foremost, it would mean that any player who negotiated a megadeal and then was proved to have used steroids would be putting himself at risk of voiding his contract."

And that's why this could turn into a battle much more far-reaching than how it affects those 80 million bucks Jason Giambi has coming. Potentially, this is a case that could open a can filled with enough worms to stretch from the Bronx to McCovey Cove.

Kraut
12-03-2004, 12:19 AM
As a Yankee fan, thank God we didnt win a World Series with him on the team. That would be the worst for the Yankee franchise. This guy is a disgrace and needs to go. Thank you Jason for letting us down. Go F yourself!!! :cuss:

tk13
12-03-2004, 01:13 AM
It's official... top story on SportsCenter. Barry Bonds apparently told a grand jury he did use steroids. He claims to have used a clear substance and cream that he believed was a "nutritional supplement" and rubbing balm for arthritis... he claims to have had no idea that they were steroids. There's the whole article below....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/03/BALCO.TMP

Kraut
12-03-2004, 02:31 AM
It's official... top story on SportsCenter. Barry Bonds apparently told a grand jury he did use steroids. He claims to have used a clear substance and cream that he believed was a "nutritional supplement" and rubbing balm for arthritis... he claims to have had no idea that they were steroids. There's the whole article below....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/03/BALCO.TMP
I hope he doesn't think that we the fans are that stupid.

BigRedChief
12-03-2004, 08:43 AM
What a moron. I didn't know. Don't piss on my boots and tell me its raining.