PDA

View Full Version : Is the Manning TD record an NFL conspiracy?

CanadaKC
12-20-2004, 11:38 PM
I severely doubt that Manning would have broke Marino's record had the new rules not been implemented. All over the place it's Manning this, Manning that. Is the NFL following baseball's stupidity and changing the rules (aka...let the steroid monkeys run free) so a new fan base can get excited about their game with a player breaking a what seemed-to-be an unsurmountable record?

Miles
12-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Warner got close a few years ago so it wasnt that unsurmountable. The rules help but Manning probably would have broke out this year anyways. He has more weapons this year than in past years and is entering his prime.

Saulbadguy
12-20-2004, 11:46 PM
The NFL is an MLB conspiracy. They are just luring us in to a false sense of security with this new "national past-time". They will soon turn the switch, and BOOM, it will just turn in to Baseball. Noone will know what hits them.

Trust me, MLB has satellites spying on me as we speak. I can't think about this too long, or they will find out.

Phobia
12-20-2004, 11:52 PM
No. Manning was the beneficiary of the NFL catering to viewers. Viewers don't want to see Martyball. They want to watch offense.

Straight, No Chaser
12-21-2004, 12:31 AM
I severely doubt that Manning would have broke Marino's record had the new rules not been implemented. All over the place it's Manning this, Manning that. Is the NFL following baseball's stupidity and changing the rules (aka...let the steroid monkeys run free) so a new fan base can get excited about their game with a player breaking a what seemed-to-be an unsurmountable record?

:hmmm:
How many Colts games have they televised in Canada? Or Have you just started watching football since hockey has officially dropped somewhere below ice fishing on the "the sports that people give a crap about"?

--->

KCWolfman
12-21-2004, 01:25 AM
I don;t think they modified the rules for Manning. I think they modified the rules to have higher scoring games and attract more casual fans. Higher offense equals more interest.

Manning has nothing to do with kickoffs being moved back or the K Balls and both rules have increased scoring dramatically. You may as well ask if the NFL modified the rules for Dante.

mcan
12-21-2004, 06:52 AM
They didn't change the rules at all... They just put an emphasis on watching that rule this year. They do this every year at the annual meetings before the season starts. The NFL says, "we're cracking down on this" and the refs tell the teams when they visit the training camps. Then writers (starved for football stories during training camp) each take their turn pointing it out... Next thing you know, all the fans think there is some "new rule."

Show me the time when it was LEGAL to hit, hold, or bump a reciever more than five yards down the line and I'll shut up...

RNR
12-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Show me the time when it was LEGAL to hit, hold, or bump a reciever more than five yards down the line and I'll shut up...
It has been quite awhile but up untill 1978 it was legal to bump all the way down the field untill the ball was in the air, in fact the hit the Packer wideout got the other night was legal untill right around then. It was called the hook and DBs would catch the WRs helmet between the forearm and biceps muscle and hook him.

Most of the rule changes happened in the late 70s as in the slap was outlawed. The slap was when a defensive lineman would slap the side of the offensive linemans helmet in a move to get by him. They also allowed offensive linemen to extend their arms (legal holding)

Less the kickoff being moved back and k balls mentioned by KC-Wolfman there is not much new. As you pointed out it is more of a case of them "calling it" than any new rule.

whoman69
12-21-2004, 07:54 AM
They didn't change the rules at all... They just put an emphasis on watching that rule this year. They do this every year at the annual meetings before the season starts. The NFL says, "we're cracking down on this" and the refs tell the teams when they visit the training camps. Then writers (starved for football stories during training camp) each take their turn pointing it out... Next thing you know, all the fans think there is some "new rule."

Problem is they have gone too far. The rule says that the defender is not to impede the receiver, but many times they call simple hand checking that only allows the defender to keep in contact. This is football, and now there's supposed to be no contact?
I would rather watch the Steelers of the 70s than to watch the Rams march up and down the field still winning despite giving up 5 turnovers.

Gaz
12-21-2004, 07:58 AM
The NFL wants Offense and has slanted the game to get Offense. Manning is simply the right guy in the right place at the right time to benefit. He is the effect, rather than the cause, IMO.

xoxo~
Gaz
Right guy, wrong place most of the time.

Gaz
12-21-2004, 08:00 AM
The upside to the new “interpretation” is the complete and utter failure of the Champ Bailey move in Denver.

xoxo~
Gaz
Found a BIG ol’ silver lining.

Chief Henry
12-21-2004, 08:08 AM
The upside to the new “interpretation” is the complete and utter failure of the Champ Bailey move in Denver.

xoxo~
Gaz
Found a BIG ol’ silver lining.

The power of POSITIVE thinking by Gaz...