PDA

View Full Version : Do we even have a nucleus to rebuild?

Lurker Brett
11-27-2000, 08:02 AM
I would like to think so, at least on offense. I think Shields will leave, Grunny will retire, and of course, we definitely need a RB. On defense, I can only see a few keepers, Clemons and Hicks, Edwards, Maz, Woods, and Wesley. That is quite a few holes to fill. Another years experience could help our DBs, but I don't see pro bowl material in Dennis, Warfield, and Bartee. I hope Hasty doesn't retire, but because of the cap, probably will, or go elsewhere.

DoktorSmith
11-27-2000, 08:57 AM
DEFENSE KEEPERS
Browning [never thought I'd say that about the IR king]
Clemons
Hicks
Martin
Edwards
Maslowski
Bartee or Dennis [pick one]
Wesley
Woods

DEFENSE WEEPERS
Schottenheimer [the #1 problem with our Defense]
McGlockton [cap casualty]
Williams [cap casualty]
Bush [we need speed at LB]
Patton [we need speed at LB]
Gray [a panic move from the start]
Hasty [retirement]
Bartee or Dennis [pick one]

xoxo~
gaz
finding a pretty good nucleus once the Spineless Stooge is gone.<BR>

DoktorSmith
11-27-2000, 09:03 AM
OFFENSE KEEPERS
Tait
Riley [move him to OG and Alford at RT?]
Blackshear [unless a FA beats him out]
Willis [unless a FA beats him out]
Grbac [provided he renegotiates]
Richardson
Moreau
Gonzalez
Drayton or Dunn [pick one]
Alexander
Morris
Ricks [good size, if he can catch]
Parker [good size, give him a chance]

[b]OFFENSE WEEPERS
Raye [the #1 problem with our Defense]
Shields [gone to FA]
Szott [retirement]
Grunhard [retirement]
Spears
Anders [sorry, Kimble]
Bennett
Cloud
Hall [if you ain't gonna play him…]
Lockett [gone to FA]

xoxo~
gaz
losing most of the rushing "attack."<BR>

DoktorSmith
11-27-2000, 09:08 AM
THE OFFENSIVE HOLES
The coaching staff [okay, that was cruel and uncalled for]
HB
DT
LB
OG [might fill one position by moving Riley]
CB [especially if Hasty retires]

FA ACQUISITIONS
HB
OG
QB backup

DRAFT PICKS
DT
LB
CB

xoxo~
gaz
fixing a hole or two.<BR>

Mi_chief_fan
11-27-2000, 09:23 AM
Gaz,

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I don't quite see the facination with Moreau though. He has failed to convert 4 of 7 3rd and 1 or 2 situations, and has been inactive for the last several weeks. As a backup for FB, I will give him the benifit of the doubt.

The coaching staff has to be gutted. I mean everyone. We don't want any holdovers that might be connected to this team. For example, if we kept Gun as DC, he might have a problem seperating his HC duties from the new HC, and some players might have some problem with this as well. We need loyalty within the troops , and retaining any of the old troops leaves a chance that may not happen.

I personally don't think this team is all that far away from being a contender, but the problems must be addressed as soon as the season is over, because we are not that far from the 70' and 80's either!

Lurker Brett
11-27-2000, 09:56 AM
Gaz, I think we are seeing the same team out there. I should have prefaced all of this by saying rebuilding with new coaching staff. I, too, am not thrilled about our RB situation, with the present crew, but new blocking schemes and playcalling might help. I just don't see getting a stud RB, due to the cap situation.

Gaz
11-27-2000, 10:03 AM
Coogs,

I agree that we are not that far from being a contender. This team is awfully like the '98 team. They've just gone in the tank. They appear to be tired of the coaching scheme and they no longer respond. And, to be honest, it's hard to blame them. I firmly believe that if we had a good coaching staff we would have had a feature back all season, a more balanced offense, a more aggressive and opportunistic defense, a worthwhile pre-season so that the players knew their roles by the time the first game came around and were ready to act and react in tandem, a win against Tennessee, a split with Oakland, a win against San Francisco, and the confidence and desire that comes from those wins and from a direct, no BS coaching style, to roast the teams in the second half of this weak schedule! Call me a homer, but IMO this team (player-wise) is good enough to win 12 games if we had a good coaching staff like in Sea, Den or Oak.

Chief_Noraa
11-27-2000, 10:10 AM
While I would never advocate intentionally losing games it is time to face the facts. The season is over. We have many many questions going into the off season. The only logical thing to do IMO is to play Collins, Cloud and Moreau to see what we have. Does Collins have what it takes to be our backup next year? Can he run the offense should Elvis need to sit out 1,2 5 games? Can Cloud be the versatile back that we so desperately need? Is Moureau more than just a younger Bennett? Throw these guys in the pond and see if they sink or swim. Maybe just maybe one of these guys is a keeper. At this point we just don’t know.

Fat Homer
11-27-2000, 10:19 AM
I think we have it on both sides of the ball...

Offensively, we need a RB, plain and simple...a high quality RB...otherwise, we are pretty solid...good QB, good WRs, great TE...Good OL...

Defense, except for Hasty and Patton, the rest are young and have a lot of potential...

The failures this year are more to do with coaching then talent...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Pitt Gorilla
11-27-2000, 10:30 AM
Gaz The Knife --

Less than 24 hrs. after the Charge Card game and you're slicing and dicing. Heck -- the writing was on the wall after last week's results anyway, right ?

Your suggestions for the scrap heap should be sent FedEx to Carl & Lamar. The predictions for losses due to FA and retirement are nothing short of logical "genuis".

However, if we toss Patton and Bush on the heap that puts a great burden on Carl to find replacements in the Draft that can come in make an impact. We miss Derrick's speed and the respect our oppenants gave him. I think we need to go a' headhunting for a speedy enforcer. Remeber "Speed Kills".

DoktorSmith
11-27-2000, 11:56 AM
Desert Chief-

It's worse than you think, dude. I gave up on the playoffs and started focusing on the off season a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002354.html
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002353.html

xoxo~
gaz
ahead of the learning curve on this one.<BR>