PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs in cap trouble? $7 mil over?

cmh6476
01-27-2005, 05:59 PM
is this right?

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Phobia
01-27-2005, 06:01 PM
It's right for the moment. But, it's meaningless in January and February. Talk to me in March when VH is gone. His imaginary roster bonus is consuming a large portion of that number.

cmh6476
01-27-2005, 06:04 PM
It's right for the moment. But, it's meaningless in January and February. Talk to me in March when VH is gone. His imaginary roster bonus is consuming a large portion of that number.
will morton end up a cap casualty? :shrug:

Phobia
01-27-2005, 06:06 PM
will morton end up a cap casualty? :shrug:

With any of the other 31 coaches in the league, we all know the answer to that question. With DV at the helm, flip a coin.

Kris Kringle
01-27-2005, 06:07 PM
will morton end up a cap casualty? :shrug: That's what "they" say.

BigChiefFan
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't give a shit if we are $50 million over the cap. The Chiefs need to make some moves.

HolmeZz
01-27-2005, 06:11 PM
That probably also doesn't count guys who are going to be FAs this year.

Mr. Laz
01-27-2005, 06:26 PM
That probably also doesn't count guys who are going to be FAs this year.

it doesn't ... any players set to be FA's for the chiefs won't be counted in any cap estimates.

Player Pos Status
Montique Sharpe DT ERFA
Lawrence Tynes PK ERFA
Ronnie Cruz RB ERFA
Omar Easy FB ERFA
Scott Connot S ERFA
Shaunard Harts S ERFA
Aaron Golliday TE ERFA
Jonathan Ingram C ERFA
Scott Fujita LB RFA
Quinton Caver LB RFA
Todd Collins QB UFA
Damon Huard QB UFA
Derrick Blaylock RB UFA
Kendall Gammon TE UFA

BigRedChief
01-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Yeah, It don't mean squat right now. Releasing Holliday, Barber and Morton will give us cap room to get one or two quality free agents.

Dave Lane
01-27-2005, 07:48 PM
is this right?

How the F@CK to we sign no one and are still in cap hell when we should be about $8 million under. We need a new cap accountant.

Dave

Dave Lane
01-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Heres who we need:

Carl Peterson was interviewing applicants for the position of capologist. He devised a simple test to select the most suitable person for the job. He asked each applicant the question, "How much is two and two?"
The first interviewee came in. His answer was "4" Carl said thanks for coming, Next! The second applicant was an CPA. He pulled out a calculator and showed the answer was four. Carl said thanks for coming, Next!

The last applicant came in. When Carl asked him the question, the accountant got up from his chair, went over to the door, closed it, took the phone off the hook, closed the drapes came back and sat down. Then, he leaned across the desk and said in a low voice, "How much do you want it to be?"

He's hired!

Dave

Braincase
01-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Heres who we need:

Carl Peterson was interviewing applicants for the position of capologist. He devised a simple test to select the most suitable person for the job. He asked each applicant the question, "How much is two and two?"
The first interviewee came in. His answer was "4" Carl said thanks for coming, Next! The second applicant was an CPA. He pulled out a calculator and showed the answer was four. Carl said thanks for coming, Next!

The last applicant came in. When Carl asked him the question, the accountant got up from his chair, went over to the door, closed it, took the phone off the hook, closed the drapes came back and sat down. Then, he leaned across the desk and said in a low voice, "How much do you want it to be?"

He's hired!

Dave

I'd just as soon stay away from vets of the Broncos Front Office.

htismaqe
01-27-2005, 08:09 PM
How the F@CK to we sign no one and are still in cap hell when we should be about $8 million under. We need a new cap accountant.

Dave

How about you just realize the fact that neither the NFL nor it's teams release cap numbers and any number published by the media is nothing more than a GUESS...

Phobia
01-27-2005, 08:15 PM
How about you just realize the fact that neither the NFL nor it's teams release cap numbers and any number published by the media is nothing more than a GUESS...

Anybody with a rudimentary understanding of the salary cap and the CBA can come damn close if they follow the team's transactions closely.

For instance, the transition tag on Tait last year revealed that we had X dollars available under the cap. Dollars which were never totally spent. Hell, the Chiefs own staff journalist acknowledged they were more than $5 mill under....

htismaqe
01-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Anybody with a rudimentary understanding of the salary cap and the CBA can come damn close if they follow the team's transactions closely.

For instance, the transition tag on Tait last year revealed that we had X dollars available under the cap. Dollars which were never totally spent. Hell, the Chiefs own staff journalist acknowledged they were more than $5 mill over....

Wait a sec...

Dollars weren't spent, yet we were $5M over? That makes no sense.

That being said, I agree with you. People can make educated guesses. But it's also not exact, or factual. It's still a guess.

Petro said MONTHS ago when people were bitching about the mythical $11M number that we were not $11M under the cap and it was because of bonuses. People said at the time he was a liar. Turns out he was right.

morphius
01-27-2005, 08:26 PM
My understanding is that the estimates this early always counted the teams FA making the same money they did before. One of the reasons you just can't put any weight into it right now.

Phobia
01-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Wait a sec...

That should have said under. I'm a moron.

Petro was way off. I don't know where he got his numbers, but my numbers as an amateur were consistently in the 6 mill range.

htismaqe
01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
That should have said under. I'm a moron.

Petro was way off. I don't know where he got his numbers, but my numbers as an amateur were consistently in the 6 mill range.

Petro was not way off.

The people here crying that we had $11M under the cap were the ones who were way off.

Phobia
01-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I misread what you typed about Petro. I thought you were attributing the 11 number to him.

htismaqe
01-27-2005, 08:35 PM
I misread what you typed about Petro. I thought you were attributing the 11 number to him.

No, Petro said at the time that we were closer to $5M under but that accelerators and incentives due some guys (he mentioned Richardson as an example, I don't know if he meant hypthetical or not) would put us closer to $1M under. And he also said that we'd be over unless some things were done with Holliday and Morton.

tk13
01-27-2005, 08:39 PM

Dave
Pretty simple, because contracts are backloaded....

htismaqe
01-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Pretty simple, because the contracts are backloaded....

That and tiered bonuses, roster bonuses, and incentives...

Mr. Laz
01-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Wait a sec...

That being said, I agree with you. People can make educated guesses. But it's also not exact, or factual. It's still a guess.

Petro said MONTHS ago when people were bitching about the mythical $11M number that we were not $11M under the cap and it was because of bonuses. People said at the time he was a liar. Turns out he was right.
you have no idea whether he was right or not

contracts and the cap change year to year ... it's not equal ... contracts are pro-rated, just he signing bonuses.

people can make educated "guesses" ... but petro can "know" :rolleyes:

htismaqe
01-27-2005, 08:57 PM
you have no idea whether he was right or not

contracts and the cap change year to year ... it's not equal ... contracts are pro-rated, just he signing bonuses.

people can make educated "guesses" ... but petro can "know" :rolleyes:

However you want to twist it.

Petro GUESSED just like everybody else.

However, his guess turned out to be accurate.

Over-Head
01-27-2005, 09:38 PM
is this right?

I gonna have to start including “the Chiefs violated the salary cap during their super bowel win” in my sig?????? :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
However you want to twist it.

Petro GUESSED just like everybody else.

However, his guess turned out to be accurate.

im not the one twisting

you can't know what is accurate ... he could of been wrong and now things have changed.

you can't really even know that what the cap situation is now

go bo
01-27-2005, 10:36 PM
I gonna have to start including “the Chiefs violated the salary cap during their super bowel win” in my sig?????? :hmmm:well, the chiefs are probably not gonna get into a super bowl any time soon, so they may as well play in the super bowel, i guess...