PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Christmas present

karob
11-29-2000, 08:58 PM
First time poster, long time lurker, but I need some advice. My 10 year old boy has been hounding me for years to get a Nintendo 64 or Sony Playstation for Christmas. If I break down and get it for him, should I get the Nintendo or the Sony (yes, I know there is no way to get a Playstation 2, I am talking about the Playstation 1)

PS SEC I just got my folks on line and the letter they received with their signup CD was signed by you. So far very pleased with their ISP.

redbrian
11-29-2000, 09:01 PM
I'll sell you my Playstation 1, 10 games, 3 controllers, a memory card and a multitap for $100.

I might even throw in a few extra games if you wish.<BR>

redbrian
11-29-2000, 09:04 PM
Whether you buy from me or not, Playstation is vastly superior to Nintendo.

The graphics are about the same, but Nintendo just doesn't produce enough games. They never have.

redbrian
11-29-2000, 09:08 PM
What up?

You wanna hook up on this deal.

Let me know and I'll send you pics of the system and some games.

BTW, another benefit of Playstation is that it plays CD's while Nintendo does not.

redbrian
11-29-2000, 09:12 PM
Your kid would go nuts over all those games and for 100 bucks, that's a good price.

karob
11-29-2000, 09:15 PM
Cannibal, I am still considering all of my options. I am reluctant to purchase him something that will consume all of his free time.

Bricky
still holding strong, but about to crack

redbrian
11-29-2000, 09:20 PM
Let me know, it would very good deal for you if you want it.

Your kid would get the unit and all those games for a helluva lot cheaper than if you bought everything new.

My email is jripley@kscable.com if you're interested.

redbrian
11-29-2000, 09:21 PM
If anyone else interested feel free to drop me an email.

redbrian
11-29-2000, 09:39 PM
Right now, the Playstation One console is running about 100 bucks itself.

The games are running anywhere from 20 to 40 bucks.

Controllers are anywhere from 15 to 25 bucks.

Memory cards are about 15 bucks.

Multiplayer adapters are about 25 bucks.

http://www.etoys.com/cat/video_game/category/psx/consoles
http://www.etoys.com/cat/video_game/category/psx/controllers
http://www.etoys.com/cat/video_game/category/psx/memory_cards
http://www.etoys.com/cat/video_game/category/psx/mult_player_adaptor

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 11-29-2000).]

redfan
11-30-2000, 08:29 AM
I have both and Cannibal is right Playstation is much better. More games and I think the controller is more user friendly. N64 uses cartridges and might be easier for a 10 year old though.

Coogs
11-30-2000, 08:38 AM
I just wanted to throw my 2cents in...I have Sega Dreamcast and I love it. The graphics are pretty awesome. It would be more expensive than Nintendo or Playstation though...I think now it's going for $140 and it comes with 2 games and a controller. And also keep in mind that new games will run you about $50.

Shannon

Phobia
11-30-2000, 08:41 AM
I know you said you dont want a PS2 at this point, but one thing to consider about Playstation 1 is that their games will work on the PS2.

At some point the PS2 price will drop and when you buy the game system your existing games will work on the new system.

Sony is the first mfg of gaming systems that states their 'legacy' games will work on their newer systems.

That saves a LOT of money in the future in buying new games. Granted you will, but not quite as many.

I would go with the Playstation. Controller has a better feel and the game choices are greater.

morphius
11-30-2000, 08:44 AM
Don't waste your money on the Playstation 1. Just wait 'til about January 15, when there are MOUNTAINS of Playstation 2s at every retail outlet in America.

Phobia
11-30-2000, 08:46 AM
...at $350.00 a pop.

ROBHONDA
11-30-2000, 09:59 AM
hey bricky...glad to hear you got your folks online, and they're not having any problems. small world, huh? where are they from?
sec
~might have to start cleaning up my act

karob
11-30-2000, 10:18 AM
Looks like Playstation is winning out. Any additional comments are helpful. I make break down and get it for him. Would like to get Playstation 2, but this needs to be a Christmas present and $100 vs $300+ is big difference.

SEC: they live in Baring. Do you know Terry Morrow? He is my brother-in-law and was principle at Brashear a few years ago.

Bricky

ROBHONDA
11-30-2000, 10:29 AM
bricky...man, i am busted...i know terry well...he always asked me to run the scoreboard at the brashear basketball tourney every year. hated to lose him when he left.

he also was kind enough to aim my twins in the right direction a couple times before they graduated. good guy.
later,
sec

Fat Homer
11-30-2000, 10:36 AM
I have an Atari system for sale...a piece of shi....I mean collectors item.... :D

Seriously, I am thinking about buying the Playstation 2 when the price drops...do all you that have a video game system use your regular TV or do you have a separate TV?

I'm reluctant to hook up a game system to my TV considering I have a vcr, dvd and stereo system already hooked up...I'm afraid the picture quality would deteriorate if I hook up a game console...

So, do I have to go to a pawn shop and get me a cheap second tv?

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 11-30-2000).]

ROBHONDA
11-30-2000, 10:41 AM
anybody remember pong?
sec
early 70's?

TEX
11-30-2000, 10:46 AM
sec,

i remember pong...someone gave it to us when i was a kid, after atari came out...and i got an atari hand-me-down when activision came out....at 14 I went on the road with an autocrusher....man work/good money for a boy....my first check i bought new work boots, a NEW Nintendo, and mike tyson "punchout" for my brothers and sister...

played pong every night before bed for wuite a while...

karob
11-30-2000, 10:54 AM
I remember Pong very well. We had one that had four games. All versions of Pong. One of the three games was for one person and the other three were 2 person games.

The TV question is a good one. I haven't decided what to do about the TV yet. A TV in my son's room is not going to happen.

Bricky
vivid memories of pong

ROBHONDA
11-30-2000, 10:55 AM
pong was hi-tech...
blip...blip...blip...
sec

ROBHONDA
11-30-2000, 10:59 AM
might want to re-think that tv deal, bricky...shell out a couple bills for a game, it better get used. and if it gets used, it's gotta be hooked to a tube. if it's hooked to a tube, the game you're gonna be watching aint football, buddy.
sec

[This message has been edited by seclark (edited 11-30-2000).]

karob
11-30-2000, 11:08 AM
SEC: Good point. Looks like this is going to get expensive. Hook up Playstation to the TV in the living room, finish off the basement, complete with wet bar. Buy a 50+ inch TV for watching sports...

Bricky
now to sell this to my wife

TEX
11-30-2000, 11:09 AM
brick,

i'm thinking garage sale or auction...you can pick up a decent TV for that without alot of expense..

ROBHONDA
11-30-2000, 11:15 AM
wanna mess w/the kids mind? give him the playstation, and an old black and white zenith to hook it up to...
sec
~kinda grinchy

TEX
11-30-2000, 11:23 AM
sec,

thats pretty funny...i played alot of pong on a b/w...it will work...

Brick,

if you are worried about them spending too much time..i have an idea..and it is working good for my buddy....he "rents" the connection cable to his kids...the earn "time"..so much for the grades on the report cards...so much for chores, and can get extra time for extra work...his kids fight over some of the extra chores like mowing the yard....think about it...

Fat Homer
11-30-2000, 11:33 AM
Iowa, that is one of the best ideas I've heard in a while...

Too bad they can't "buy" time to go out side and play instead of watching TV, etc...

I'm so glad they didn't have video games when I was a kid...all I could think about was playing football, baseball, basketball and any thing else I could play...outside...in the sunshine...nothing like a lazy summer day playing baseball all day long...use to be on the field at 8:00 a.m and leave at dark...man...those were the days...

ChiefsAlltheWay
11-30-2000, 11:37 AM
Wow, that "rent" idea is a pretty good one. I'll have to make use of that with my kids.

Of course they are 5, 3, and 4 months.

scooter

might be awhile :D

[This message has been edited by scooter (edited 11-30-2000).]

TEX
11-30-2000, 11:43 AM
you know,

I'd prefer to send em' outside if i had kids..but i will implement this system in my home...it teaches time/"money" management, responsibility of "earning" extras in life..and they have to work for what the get..in school and out of school they have to work to be able to sit in front of the game...

i'm no child psych guy..so this is probably cruel and unusual punishment and will get me 5 years for child abuse someday http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

ROBHONDA
11-30-2000, 11:49 AM
i remember when i was a kid my mother made me stay inside and watch the watergate hearings on tv when i was bad...to this day, i accuse her of cruelty.
sec

BigChiefsFan
11-30-2000, 12:15 PM
I have a PlayStation and love it. The football games they have are great (although recommend EA Sports games vs. 989—much more realistic) and they are the only system with a college football game (which rocks, by the way).

One thing to consider: There is a company called Bleem that has a product that is used on the Sega Dreamcast (much better than PS1 or Nin64). What it does is make the DC think it is a PlayStation, thus letting you play PS1 games (including "backup" or copied copies) with better graphics. The PS2 lets you play the old PS1 games, but doesn't add anti-aliasing or enhanced resolution (they look the same as on a PS1).

Sony is fighting Bleem, but so far Bleem has been winning. Sega has stayed out of it. The packs should be available on-line or in stores by early next year.

If you're looking for a system that both you and your son can play, go with a PS. They have more "gown up" games and they are cheaper. If your son will be dominating the action, I'd suggest a Nintendo. A little more $$ for games, but more kids' games.

Also, you can't use either on a projection TV. Ask my uncle. He has little shadows all over his screen.

MM
--Has too much time on his hands.

nmt1
11-30-2000, 02:24 PM
Just wait for a gamecube from Nintendo. They are coming out in April, for around 150 bucks and are 3 times faster than the PS2. THREE TIMES!!! Anyway, they also will have developers like Rare, to go along with the sports titles from EA, etc. This may be a better LONG term solution.

------------------
GO PITT!

BigChiefsFan
11-30-2000, 02:32 PM
Microsoft has its XBox (or something like that) coming out next year as well. Similar to the cube, but many more games (supposedly).

I still say go with a DC with a Bleem pack.

MM
--Wishing he could afford a DC or PS2...but will enjoy his PS1

Lightning Rod
11-30-2000, 04:52 PM
I have to chime in with my $.02 on this one.

I currently own a Sega Dreamcast and I love it. You can buy the Sega Sports pack (includes Black console, two controllers, NFL2K and NBA2K) for about $150. It is also the first console that is internet compatible and there are already at least 4 online games you can buy. NFL2K1 is a must have, but at $50 it's a bit pricey.

Other benefits:

Support for up to 4 controllers at once without additional splitter (which means up to 4 on 4 for online football or basketball). Also four player games are fun when you have four people.

Broadband adapter coming out beginning of January for about $60.

Bleem Pad allows you to use PlayStation controllers if you like them better. Bleem will also let you play PS games on the DC.

DC is 128bit. PS is 32, N64 is 64. More bits equals better graphics and more action.

Sega is publishing tons of titles and breaking new ground with games like Shenmue.

Shannon - I posted a while back about Sega.net and NFL2K1, but nobody was really interested. If you have the game and maybe want to play sometime, let me know. My buddy also has QuakeIII - pretty fun, but causes gaming glaze-over for me.

BigChiefsFan
11-30-2000, 06:09 PM
Disco--
I don't have a DC, but am hoping Santa brings me one. :D

Doubt it. I do pay the bills around here.
:(

I've played on one, and do like the PS controllers better. But damn do those graphics rock on the DC!!! And, not to be an a$$ about this, but I believe the PS is actually two 32 bit processors. That's why it takes so long to load.

By the way, the Cheifs have won the SB twice this year on my TV. :D

MM
--Just realized what a game dork I am. Thank god I'm already married.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 11-30-2000).]

Coogs
12-01-2000, 10:12 AM
Disco - I'm getting NFL2K1 for Christmas, so once I figure out how to get online with it and all, I'd love to play ya! Email me at smltheppl@aol.com so I'll have your email address and can let you know when I get it all set up.

Shannon

DoubleWannaB
12-01-2000, 10:41 AM
Well, I used to sell them both so maybe I can offer some input. The Playstation by far has more games, but the system itself is more adult oriented. The Nintendo on the other hand, has the capabilities of much better graphics because of it's video card which utilizes 3-D technology. Unfortunately, the Playstation still uses outdated bitmapped technology. But to be quite honest, with the advancements in software these days, it's looks much better than I had anticipated. Also, keep in mind that the Nintendo is marketed towards younger people and has the EXCLUSIVE rights to Pokemon if you are interested in that. So if you want Pokemon, you want Nintendo. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

Lightning Rod
12-01-2000, 01:19 PM
Shannon - If you like football, you'll love NFL2K1. It's got all the individual playbooks (something like 2,000 plays) and you can even update current rosters on the game by downloading from sega.net. I have your e-mail addy and I will e-mail you within the next few days so that you can reach me when you get up and running. It certainly is more fun playing aginst human opponents than it is playing against the computer.

Some other GREAT DC games:
Virtua Tennis - If you thought Pong was fun, you'll love this. 1-4 player compatible and easy as pie to learn.

Re-volt - Race any one of over 30 remote control cars through gigantic places like "the hood", museum, grocery store, and more. 1-4 player compatible and really fun once you figure out how to pick up and use the weapons (bottle rockets, oil, water balloons, etc).

Resident Evil: Code Veronica - One player role-playing game. Beautiful graphics, engaging plot, and spooky action make this one loads of fun.

Crazy Taxi - One player arcade hit where you have to get your passengers to their locations on time. It's on the All-Star list now and I think it sells for $20.

STAY AWAY FROM WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 2K1! DO NOT BUY IT!<BR>

Lightning Rod
12-01-2000, 01:26 PM
Mark M - Isn't it funny how the Chiefs do so much better when they have someone else running things. :) No biggie on the PS proc thing. It's amazing how these consoles now have more power than the top-of-line computers of a few years ago. Hang in there on the DC. I bet the price goes down even more in the next year - probably to about $100. Sega is positioning itself to have a very large library of games and online ability while the PS2, XBox, and Gamecube are all still working on getting up and running - and at half or a third of the price.<P>

Coogs
12-01-2000, 01:56 PM
Disco - I already have NFL2K and I've loved it...so I can't wait to get 2K1!! I just gotta learn the new stuff on it before I play anyone else!

I also have Crazy Taxi...it's pretty fun. And of course I have Sonic..what would Sega be without Sonic?? Another one that's a lot of fun if you like the Sonic-type games is Rayman 2.

Shannon

Lightning Rod
12-01-2000, 02:29 PM
Shannon - Yeah, Sonic is a blast. I think it's an All-Star now too - $20. Sonic 2 should be coming out within the next few months. I'll have to try Rayman 2 - maybe I can rent it. What I'm really waiting for is a good golf game or a good baseball game, whichever comes first.<P>