PDA

View Full Version : Hey Delt....you're slacking off

Nzoner
05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
The Great American Beer crisis (http://www.slate.com/id/2117896/?GT1=6443)

The great American beer crisis.
By Daniel Gross

When the economy is booming, we pound a six-pack of Bud with our buddies and watch the game. When the economy is lousy, we pound a six-pack of Coors with our buddies and watch the game. When the economy is flat, we pound a six-pack of Miller with our buddies and watch the game. This is why companies that make beer—like those that make diapers, electricity, and cereal—have countercyclical stocks. When the economy hits a soft patch, investors take refuge in them.

But now there's a fear in our beer. Last week, two leading beer companies reported disappointing results. Anheuser-Busch, which claims more than half the U.S. beer market, announced it was suffering from falling demand and rising costs. The volume of Bud and Michelob sold in the U.S. fell 2.7 percent from the year-ago quarter. Newly merged cross-border beer powerhouse Molson Coors reported a loss, with net sales in the U.S. down 2 percent, and U.S. operating income off by nearly one-third. The most recent trading statement of Miller, the No. 2 U.S. beer brand now owned by SABMiller, showed marginal growth. In the past two years, according to Gary Hemphill, managing director of Beverage Marketing Corp., beer volume has risen at a meager 0.5 percent annual rate.

Why are brewers crying in their beers? In part, they're facing the same difficulties as other manufacturers. Costs for raw materials and energy are rising, and they're having difficulty passing costs along to consumers. But beer companies are also butting up against some powerful demographic and cultural trends that may flatten sales for years to come.

Nzoner
05-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Personally,I think more and more beer drinkers are just realizing that those beers mentioned really do suck.

**edited to add** Just one beer drinkers opinion.

Phobia
05-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah - those "brewers" (and I use that term loosely) are going to see their profits continue to flatten as more and more people realize they've been consuming pisswater for the past century.

Hammock Parties
05-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah - those "brewers" (and I use that term loosely) are going to see their profits continue to flatten as more and more people realize they've been consuming pisswater for the past century.

I can't stand the pretentious "This is Budweiser. This is beer." commercials with George Clooney.

Miles
05-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Seens like several of the premium brands have stepped up their marketing efforts in the last few years. Wonder if that has much to do with it.

I definitly seems like people are drinking premiums and micros at bars more often these days. Hell at most places its not much difference in price either. Chip in the extra quarter and you can drink something that doesnt suck.

Nzoner
05-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Seens like several of the premium brands have stepped up their marketing efforts in the last few years. Wonder if that has much to do with it.

I definitly seems like people are drinking premiums and micros at bars more often these days. Hell at most places its not much difference in price either. Chip in the extra quarter and you can drink something that doesnt suck.

We got a place here that has 24 oz Blvd Wheat for $3.75.

Works for me.

Spicy McHaggis
05-07-2005, 11:44 PM

Very true, last night I was drinking Bass while my friends went Miller Lt. When the night was over I had only spent about $2 more than them. And my beer didn't taste like piss. The only problem is that the good beers don't come in the convenient 30 pack.

Fairplay
05-08-2005, 04:28 AM
I gave to a charity yesterday that goes by the name of Boston Lager.

mikey23545
05-08-2005, 05:41 AM
No response by Endelt all night...He must have been out "working overtime" trying to correct this problem....

SCTrojan
05-08-2005, 06:43 AM

After spending a lot of years in Germany, I got used to beers with a little more kick to them. Can't drink the standard brands anymore. I think the trend in the U.S. beer industry is the customer base is becoming more loyal to local breweries and specialty brands.

AirForceChief
05-08-2005, 07:00 AM
As I have been deployed for the last earnings period, I take full responsibility for this decline. I will correct this oversight immediately upon my return to the States...JUST UNDER TWO WEEKS TO GO!!

JimNasium
05-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I can't remember the last time that I actually drank a macro-brewery product.

Nzoner
05-08-2005, 10:51 AM
As I have been deployed for the last earnings period, I take full responsibility for this decline. I will correct this oversight immediately upon my return to the States...JUST UNDER TWO WEEKS TO GO!!

This Bud's for you.

http://www.texasbikini.com/Dawn/dwbud.jpg

go bo
05-08-2005, 12:37 PM
As I have been deployed for the last earnings period, I take full responsibility for this decline. I will correct this oversight immediately upon my return to the States...JUST UNDER TWO WEEKS TO GO!!all right!

have a saft trip home...

and thank you for your service...

GO CHIEFS!!

chiefs4me
05-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I didn't realize when I stopped drinking it would cost them so much..:)

FloridaChief
05-08-2005, 04:27 PM

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/~aparsons/whoami/horrified_sarah.jpg

chiefs4me
05-08-2005, 04:54 PM
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/~aparsons/whoami/horrified_sarah.jpg

at least get it somewhat right.....:rolleyes: blonde hair and blue eyes.....

Nzoner
05-08-2005, 04:58 PM
No response by Endelt all night...He must have been out "working overtime" trying to correct this problem....

Hopefully they got the new sign installed by his complex.

http://www.dougrusty.com/drunks.jpg

Bowser
05-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Hopefully they got the new sign installed by his complex.

http://www.dougrusty.com/drunks.jpg

ROFL

By his complex, by his hallway, by his door........

FloridaChief
05-08-2005, 05:09 PM
at least get it somewhat right.....:rolleyes: blonde hair and blue eyes.....

It was actually supposed to convey the horrified reaction of *anyone* upon hearing you had quit drinking.

Ya know, after knowing what a sot you are....I mean-were....

QUITTER!!!!

:cuss:

chiefs4me
05-08-2005, 05:14 PM
It was actually supposed to convey the horrified reaction of *anyone* upon hearing you had quit drinking.

Ya know, after knowing what a sot you are....I mean-were....

QUITTER!!!!

:cuss:

so on top of everything else you all think I am a lush....ROFL

Spicy McHaggis
05-08-2005, 05:49 PM

You mean you watch NASCAR...sober? (shudder)