PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs showing interest in Arena League lineman

keg in kc
06-12-2005, 03:35 AM
This is the definition of a slow news night.

Manasquan's Klein aims for championship (http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050612/SPORTS/506120425/1002)

BY DOUG RUSH
STAFF WRITER
Published in the Asbury Park Press 06/12/05

ArenaBowl XIX will have a Shore Conference flavor.

Former Manasquan offensive lineman Don Klein anchors the offensive and defensive lines for the Colorado Crush (12-6), who face the Georgia Force (13-5) in today's Arena Football League championship game at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas at 2:30 p.m.

Klein played for coach Vic Kubu at Manasquan from 1996-99, and continued his playing career at Temple University from 1999-2003. Klein is now in his second season in Colorado and said today's championship game will be reminiscent of his days as a Warrior.

"My last year at Manasquan, we ended up 12-0, winning a state championship, and I was a two-way player.

"In college, I mostly played just offense, but now in the Arena League, I'm back to playing two-way football again and it's definitely a lot of fun," Klein said.

On offense, Klein is the Crush's second option at center after starting the season at tight end. He is also a defensive end and has one sack on the year.

Win or lose, Klein said his arena football experience has been positive.

"I brought my digital camera and video camera down to Vegas just for this," he said. "This is one of those experiences you never forget and always cherish. My teammates are a great bunch of guys and I'm very fortunate to be down here with them."

The Crush are owned by legendary Denver Broncos quarterback John Elway, whom Klein described as "a great guy."

"John definitely is one of the classiest guys I've ever met," Klein said. "His presence alone is tremendous, but he is just an outstanding individual, especially for what he has done for the city of Denver. Being able to say John Elway is the owner of the team you play for is something really wonderful."

To reach ArenaBowl XIX, Colorado defeated the San Jose SaberCats 56-48 and the Chicago Rush 49-43 in the longest overtime game in AFL history. According to Klein, this year's playoff journey feels a lot better than last season's.

"We lost on the last play to Arizona (45-41) and it was heartbreaking," Klein said. "To be able to come back this season and beat a team on the last play in overtime was so thrilling, and I feel our team can come into (today's) game and win the championship."

After the AFL season ends, Klein will continue trying to land a job in the National Football League, where teams have shown interest in the lineman's services.

Last season, Klein worked out with the Dallas Cowboys; however, they did not draft or sign him. This season, the Kansas City Chiefs have shown the most interest in Klein, who's hoping to land in the NFL as a free agent.

"Up until now, Kansas City has been the team to show the most interest, but now, that's not on my mind. I've been so focused on the playoffs and getting a ring," Klein said. "But when the season's over, getting to the NFL is definitely my main goal, as it has been for a long time."

Kylo Ren
06-12-2005, 07:11 AM
OK. :shrug: Whatever.

teedubya
06-12-2005, 10:21 AM
he is riding John Elgays nutsack, sounds like to me...

DenverChief
06-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Playing defense in the AFL is very hard since it is an offensive oriented game...getting that one sack was an accomplishment...I'm not sure about his skills as an offensive lineman since the ball leaves the backfield a lot quicker in the AFL the linement don't have to hold blocks for as long....but one thing is for sure you have to be good to make it to the championship game....if he has the skills lets bring him in...our O-line isn't getting any younger

go bo
06-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Playing defense in the AFL is very hard since it is an offensive oriented game...getting that one sack was an accomplishment...I'm not sure about his skills as an offensive lineman since the ball leaves the backfield a lot quicker in the AFL the linement don't have to hold blocks for as long....but one thing is for sure you have to be good to make it to the championship game....if he has the skills lets bring him in...our O-line isn't getting any youngeroh, how i lament the linement... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rain Man
06-12-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't want anyone on my team who speaks well of Elway. Send this suckup packing.

whoman69
06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Playing defense in the AFL is very hard since it is an offensive oriented game...getting that one sack was an accomplishment...I'm not sure about his skills as an offensive lineman since the ball leaves the backfield a lot quicker in the AFL the linement don't have to hold blocks for as long....but one thing is for sure you have to be good to make it to the championship game....if he has the skills lets bring him in...our O-line isn't getting any younger
Its also illegal in the AFL to pass rush in any style other than bull rush. I would have a hard time believing any defensive player can make the jump from that game to the NFL>

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Its also illegal in the AFL to pass rush in any style other than bull rush. I would have a hard time believing any defensive player can make the jump from that game to the NFL>
R-Kal had his moments