PDA

View Full Version : Pappa John's type pizza recipe

Ninjaman
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Damn good. Note. The recipes at this site mimic the pro's. The people there are a bit fanatical. Pizzahut and others in there too.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,696.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1387.0;id=1750;image

Hammock Parties
07-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Looks like he needs to pop some bubbles.

DJay23
07-13-2005, 04:27 PM
If you really want it to taste like Papa John's make sure you don't cook it all the way through.

I swear to God, everytime I have one of those I end up eat a pizza that is essentially "dough with the fixins."

jspchief
07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Papa John's sucks. Why would I want to duplicate that crap.

Dartgod
07-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Nasty, vile crap. :Lin:

Ninjaman
07-13-2005, 05:29 PM
They have some others too. Like vintage PizzaHut thin and crispy, Pizza Inn and some other strange pizza places from around the country. NY pizza too.

Now I know why my pizzas never turned out like the big pizza chains. You can't even buy the flour at the grocery store.

There are some nuts that actually build a special brick pizza oven like in italy.

Gravedigger
07-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I work at Papa Johns have been for over a year and trust me youd rather eat at ours then Pizza Hut or Little Caesars I've worked for both of them and the other two dont require thier employees to clean out the pans they make pizzas in so grease just sits papa johns is the best.

Ninjaman
07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Grave. Do you guys use a pan or screen ?

I worked at like 3 pizza places once.

penchief
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM

You're shitting me, right? Are you sure you aren't mistakin' Papa John's for the local Poppa Jon's, or something?

I think Papa John's Pizza is the equivalent of Krispy Kreme glazed donuts.

Pizza with flavor minus the grease. Who'd a thunk?

penchief
07-13-2005, 06:26 PM
I work at Papa Johns have been for over a year and trust me youd rather eat at ours then Pizza Hut or Little Caesars I've worked for both of them and the other two dont require thier employees to clean out the pans they make pizzas in so grease just sits papa johns is the best.

Agreed. I call Pizza Hut "Greasy Hut."

Hammock Parties
07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Grave. Do you guys use a pan or screen ?

I worked at like 3 pizza places once.

When I worked there we used screens. I ****ing hated that job.

eazyb81
07-13-2005, 06:36 PM

I definately agree with that, I used to work at Papa Johns back in high school and they really kept that place clean.

I didn't think it was such a big deal until I worked at Minsky's Pizza later in high school. Let's just say that they are MILES apart when it comes to cleanliness and "respect" for the customers. :shake:

Ninjaman
07-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Anybody else work at a pizza place ?

DJay23
07-13-2005, 06:42 PM
I don't care how clean it is. It still sucks when you sink your teeth into hot dough.

Someone told me that the reason this is, is that Papa Johns puts their pizzas on some kind of conveyor belt that takes it through an oven. Sometimes, to get the pizzas out faster, especially when busy, they pull them out a little early, thus the gooey center.

Was I lied to? Why is the local Papa John's doughey? (and there are 2 in my town, both of which don't cook their pizzas all the way through.)

eazyb81
07-13-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't care how clean it is. It still sucks when you sink your teeth into hot dough.

Someone told me that the reason this is, is that Papa Johns puts their pizzas on some kind of conveyor belt that takes it through an oven. Sometimes, to get the pizzas out faster, especially when busy, they pull them out a little early, thus the gooey center.

Was I lied to? Why is the local Papa John's doughey? (and there are 2 in my town, both of which don't cook their pizzas all the way through.)

Couldn't this be solved by asking them to cook it a minute or two longer?

Papa Johns does use a conveyor belt, but I don't think we ever took them out early and I don't remember any especially doughy pizza. Maybe your local Papa Johns does things differently.

J Diddy
07-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Anybody else work at a pizza place ?

I manage a Domino's.

|Zach|
07-13-2005, 06:50 PM

Papa Johns does use a conveyor belt, but I don't think we ever took them out early and I don't remember any especially doughy pizza. Maybe your local Papa Johns does things differently.
Did you do the animated .gif in your sig?

DJay23
07-13-2005, 06:56 PM

well, yeah, that's what the guy who told me about the conveyor belts said. But it's the principal of it. I shouldn't have to ASK a pizza place to cook my ****ing food all the way through.

|Zach|
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Thats a cool picture in the topic post.

eazyb81
07-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Did you do the animated .gif in your sig?

Nope, a friend of mine on another board made it for me.

J Diddy
07-13-2005, 07:20 PM
well, yeah, that's what the guy who told me about the conveyor belts said. But it's the principal of it. I shouldn't have to ASK a pizza place to cook my ****ing food all the way through.

Virtually all pizza joints use conveyer belt ovens nowadays. There is too much variation between dough temp, amount of toppings (yes you people who want double toppings it won't freaking cook right), cleanliness of the screens or age of dough. Hopefully they should have caught it at the dough table. By doughy in the middle do you mean like opened a can of pillsbury biscuits kind of thickness or just a thin line.

|Zach|
07-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Nope, a friend of mine on another board made it for me.
Impressive

unlurking
07-13-2005, 07:51 PM
God I miss Godfather's Pizza.

Man, that was some good shit.

In Colorado, I stick to Pudge Bros. or Louie's.

KChiefs1
07-13-2005, 08:07 PM

Whatever happened to Godfather's? They used to be everywhere & they put Pizza Hut to shame. :clap:

Best pizza I've had lately was at Funhouse...used to go there when I was just a kid & I still love the place. :drool:

Dartgod
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Best pizza I've had lately was at Funhouse...used to go there when I was just a kid & I still love the place. :drool:
That's because Funhouse is the best. No one comes close; not Pizza Hut, not Papa John's (bleeech), not Domino's, no one.

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Whatever happened to Godfather's? They used to be everywhere & they put Pizza Hut to shame. :clap:

I don't know, but I still have a glass Coke pitcher with the Godfather's logo on it. Never tried Funhouse.

Delano
07-13-2005, 08:39 PM
I like how the guy praises his recipe with comments like this:

The crumb structure was perfect.

KChiefs1
07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't know, but I still have a glass Coke pitcher with the Godfather's logo on it.

I've got eight of those things! I was using them as beer mugs for my keg parties before I got married! I haven't seen them in awhile....I wonder what happened to them? :hmmm:

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:58 PM
I've got eight of those things! I was using them as beer mugs for my keg parties before I got married! I haven't seen them in awhile....I wonder what happened to them? :hmmm:
hahahaha

The wife tried to throw mine out too. Break out now and then for mixing 151 'n cokes.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 09:38 PM
I definately agree with that, I used to work at Papa Johns back in high school and they really kept that place clean.

I didn't think it was such a big deal until I worked at Minsky's Pizza later in high school. Let's just say that they are MILES apart when it comes to cleanliness and "respect" for the customers. :shake:

I don't care how dirty Minskys is - that dirt tastes damn good.

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I had Imo's tonight, down the street a bit. Pretty decent pie, that was.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 09:40 PM
That's because Funhouse is the best. No one comes close; not Pizza Hut, not Papa John's (bleeech), not Domino's, no one.

If Minskys and Funhouse were next door to me, I would tie myself in a knot trying to make a decision.

ZootedGranny
07-13-2005, 09:43 PM
"They say that the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime. But I tried to make it at home. There's more to it than that."

"Hey, you want some more homemade Sprite, man?"

"Not until you figure out what the **** else is in it!"

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
"Hey, you want some more homemade Sprite, man?" I've got some homemade sprite for you. It'll be a little warm at first, though. And salty. But the color's close.

schneider221
07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Eric's Basement or downstairs or something in Breckenridge is hte best pizza ive ever had...

unlurking
07-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah, sounds like bitching about Jack Stacks cause the "drippings" get into the beans.

Gravedigger
07-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah we use screens at Papa Johns and its better cause it doesnt collect grease like others do if you honestly want fresh dough you should go to Little Caesars cause they make their dough fresh every day or so I've always enjoyed little caesars and papa johns and the only thing i really can stand from pizza hut is their thin crust I love it.

Ninjaman
07-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Grave. Thats what I thought. I agree with Domino's manager. They all use the screens now. Same as when i worked at Pizzahut and Minsky's. Minsky's Dough sheeter - another fancy pizza machine made pretty tasty pizza.

Godfathers pizza review thread. Lots of good memories at Godfathers. Dad loved it. Deepdish pretty good. And always some funky gimmick to get people 'loaded' on Coke with the pitchers. Haha.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,3.0.html

http://www.godfathers.com/index_files/image001.jpg

Rausch
07-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Most of the Mom&Pop places around here use Hobart or block-ovens. Most of the chains use the belt ovens.

If you come early and all the employees are sober you get one cooked to your specifications. You come after 10 PM and you're rolling the dice...

Gravedigger
07-14-2005, 03:16 AM
I do however love original pizza located inside the malls like Oak Park that pizza is flippin good two slices and a wild cherry pepsi mmmmm.

Goapics1
07-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Pizza Hut gives me the shit's.

Idahored
07-14-2005, 08:35 AM

It's been over 10 years since I left the KC area and I still crave Minskys pizza. I used to LOVE their 5 pounder....

shakesthecat
07-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Eric's Basement or downstairs or something in Breckenridge is hte best pizza ive ever had...

Downstairs at Eric's-Because Everywhere Else Just Sucks

I'll be there in about 2 weeks.

redfan
07-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Worked at Pizza the Hut many moons ago. What an armpit. We called it "Pizza Butt". Nothing gets that greasy stank outa your clothes.

Donger
07-14-2005, 11:32 AM

Man, that was some good shit.

In Colorado, I stick to Pudge Bros. or Louie's.

If you are in South Denver, try Big Bill's NY Pizza at the corner of County Line and Holly. It's incredible.

keg in kc
07-14-2005, 11:34 AM
It's incredible.Random moment: I never realized the close proximity of "incredible" and "inedible".

gblowfish
07-14-2005, 11:41 AM
If Minskys and Funhouse were next door to me, I would tie myself in a knot trying to make a decision.
Funhouse is on 40-Highway in Independence. Legendary great pizza, but a weird place. They only accept cash, interior is really dark like a dungeon, old stand up video games. The place is basically stuck in 1980's.

Minsky's has always had good pizza. Never greasy, very good quality. They just re-modeled the Independence store. Very nice place.

We've got a little mom and pop place called Tim's Pizza right down the street. Nice guys, and pretty good product. A little pricey.

I can't handle Pizza Hut. Always greasy and nasty. Dominos the same, only worse ingredients (if that's possible). Tried Papa John's once. It made me and my wife sick. Think the pizza was undercooked. Yikes.

Ninjaman
07-14-2005, 01:10 PM
So funhouse is like Minsky's . Never tried it.

whoman69
07-14-2005, 01:18 PM
I just get Papa Murphey's and cook it myself. Alot cheaper and better too. If I go out for Pizza, its Godfathers.

Dartgod
07-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Funhouse is on 40-Highway in Independence. Legendary great pizza, but a weird place. They only accept cash, interior is really dark like a dungeon, old stand up video games. The place is basically stuck in 1980's.

There is also a Funhouse in Raytown. They take CCs but not checks, IIRC. This is the one we usually go to. I haven't been to the one on 40 HWY in years. They also recently opened one in a strip mall in Lee's Summit. Totally different atmosphere the other stores but the same awesome pizza.

We've got a little mom and pop place called Tim's Pizza right down the street. Nice guys, and pretty good product. A little pricey.

I've eaten there before. Good stuff. Here's a little factoid:

The owner used to work at a place called Pappi's Pizza in Lee's Summit. Pappi's is basically a Funhouse clone. I used to work there waaaaay back when I was 15 years old and I remember Tim from there. He was a manager or something. So Tims is also very similar to Funhouse.

Valiant
07-14-2005, 01:23 PM
You're shitting me, right? Are you sure you aren't mistakin' Papa John's for the local Poppa Jon's, or something?

I think Papa John's Pizza is the equivalent of Krispy Kreme glazed donuts.

Pizza with flavor minus the grease. Who'd a thunk?

The fact that you just equated Papa Johns with Krispy Kremes screws your argument... Krispy Kremes are the nastiest piece of shit donuts in KC... You are better off buying Little Debbies... Lamars or Rons whatever it is called now depending where you are at is the best best donuts...

Krispy Kremes good, I am going to be sick...

Dartgod
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
So funhouse is like Minsky's . Never tried it.
No, not the same at all. Unless Minsky's has changed their recipe. I haven't had it in years.

Dartgod
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I just get Papa Murphey's and cook it myself. Alot cheaper and better too.
Yeah, they're pretty good too.

Valiant
07-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I think JOe's Pizza in westport across from Kelly's has the best pizza...

I bought one Papa Murphy's pizza and never will agian.. That thing had the same amount of grease as six pizza huts...

Ninjaman
07-14-2005, 02:19 PM
pizzahut is all grease. Basically , it's a deep dish.

It may not even be pizza anymore compared to brick oven cooked thin real italian.

Simplex3
07-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm a fan of Pizza Shoppe here in KC. It's the only one I've found that knows what a spice is. Minsky's takes a close second for understanding herbs exist.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 01:44 AM
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Promos/P123165.asp

Here's what the public thinks.

Hehehehe.

Rausch
07-15-2005, 02:20 AM
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Promos/P123165.asp

Here's what the public thinks.

Hehehehe.

Dominoes was my least favorite of those 3.

There was a local delivery driver here for Dominoes that was beaten so bad in a robery he's in a coma now. He'd been delivering for like 10 or 15 years. Great guy. NEVER late. Never.

When the Rams lost to the Pats in the super bowl he stayed for 3 keg mugs (during the Pats game winning drive.) Great guy. When the Pats won he got a big tip for cheering against the Lambs.

Off topic, but I hope the two ****s that robbed him die of a ripped colon...

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Dominoes was my least favorite of those 3.

There was a local delivery driver here for Dominoes that was beaten so bad in a robery he's in a coma now. He'd been delivering for like 10 or 15 years. Great guy. NEVER late. Never.

When the Rams lost to the Pats in the super bowl he stayed for 3 keg mugs (during the Pats game winning drive.) Great guy. When the Pats won he got a big tip for cheering against the Lambs.

Off topic, but I hope the two ****s that robbed him die of a ripped colon...

Yeah I hope the die of a ripped colon as well.

As for being the least favorite of the 3.

:)

Rausch
07-15-2005, 02:32 AM
Yeah I hope the die of a ripped colon as well.

As for being the least favorite of the 3.

Hey, sorry. I'm a deep dish guy.

And I think Pizza Hutt has the best deep dish of the there.

Despite their clams of all natural toppings Pappa Johns is the king of MSG. So I'm out.

Dominoes does have the best thin crust of the 3 though...

Rausch
07-15-2005, 02:35 AM
BTW, here's the article...

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/2005/07/12/news_local/0712050002.txt

Jenson71
07-15-2005, 02:36 AM
That'd definitely be cool to try and make. I wonder if you really do need any special kind of equipment.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 02:37 AM
Hey, sorry. I'm a deep dish guy.

And I think Pizza Hutt has the best deep dish of the there.

Despite their clams of all natural toppings Pappa Johns is the king of MSG. So I'm out.

Dominoes does have the best thin crust of the 3 though...

Yeah, our deep dish sucks.
It burns too easily.

Rausch
07-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Yeah, our deep dish sucks.
It burns too easily.

And you use corn meal insted of flour, an even bigger carb no-no. Plus, the crust just doesn't have the same flavor.

But they did have a chiefs-related discount deal this year. Can't hate on that...

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 02:42 AM
BTW, here's the article...

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/2005/07/12/news_local/0712050002.txt

****ing pricks.

They need to be roasted. Dude was carrying $20 and probably another $20 worth in food.

I hate assholes like this. They did something like this to a 50 year old woman in my town. Not quite as bad though.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 02:45 AM
And you use corn meal insted of flour, an even bigger carb no-no. Plus, the crust just doesn't have the same flavor.

But they did have a chiefs-related discount deal this year. Can't hate on that...

Flour is just to big a pain in the ass to work with as you go. Pizza Hut preps all their stuff in the morning either frozen or through stretching machines and proof it. We proof it and stretch it as needed.

Rausch
07-15-2005, 02:48 AM
****ing pricks.

They need to be roasted. Dude was carrying $20 and probably another $20 worth in food.

I hate assholes like this. They did something like this to a 50 year old woman in my town. Not quite as bad though.

It's always bad.

Guy has a wife and 3 kids. The great thing about this being a small town is that they'll get the book. And if they don't someone else will throw it at 'em...

Logical
07-15-2005, 02:49 AM
Just say no to thick crust pizza.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 02:51 AM
It's always bad.

Guy has a wife and 3 kids. The great thing about this being a small town is that they'll get the book. And if they don't someone else will throw it at 'em...

Damn I smell a courthouse lynching.

I do love a good lynching.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Just say no to thick crust pizza.

I'll make you a hell of a deal on one.

Logical
07-15-2005, 02:54 AM

:)What I love is that ultra thin pizza cut in squares (I seem to recall there was a Sicilian place in Columbia that used to make it). I also loved Green Pepper's pizza in Columbia, I bet we ordered it 3 or 4 times a week. How we came up with the money I cannot remember.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 02:57 AM
What I love is that ultra thin pizza cut in squares (I seem to recall there was a Sicilian place in Columbia that used to make it). I also loved Green Pepper's pizza in Columbia, I bet we ordered it 3 or 4 times a week. How we came up with the money I cannot remember.

Oh i got thin crust too....

The only place I'll touch nowadays besides my store is a little joint in Joplin called Pizza by Stout. Good stuff, dine in and they have over 200 beers on tap. Don't get by there that much, partly because I make that stuff 50 hours a week. Not really big on eating it away from work.

Rausch
07-15-2005, 02:59 AM

I'm guessing you don't deliver to my neighborhood...

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 03:01 AM
I'm guessing you don't deliver to my neighborhood...

Well sure, but the 30 minute guarantee will not apply and there will be a hell of a delivery charge.

Logical
07-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Oh i got thin crust too....

The only place I'll touch nowadays besides my store is a little joint in Joplin called Pizza by Stout. Good stuff, dine in and they have over 200 beers on tap. Don't get by there that much, partly because I make that stuff 50 hours a week. Not really big on eating it away from work.I really wish I could check out your place, two things really suck out here in San Diego, Pizza and BBQ. But we have the best Mexican and some of the best Asian I have ever eaten.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 03:03 AM
But we have the best Mexican and some of the best Asian I have ever eaten.

Um your talking about food right.

Logical
07-15-2005, 03:05 AM
Um your talking about food right.

:)Actually both, matter of fact we have a Asian young lady at work that would be to kill for, Ms Yu is primo.

Hammock Parties
07-15-2005, 08:27 AM
I manage a Domino's.

That explains why I hate you. I've never met a male pizza manager that I didn't hate.

eazyb81
07-15-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm a fan of Pizza Shoppe here in KC. It's the only one I've found that knows what a spice is. Minsky's takes a close second for understanding herbs exist.

Yep, Pizza Shoppe and Minsky's are the two best tasting pizza places in KC, hands down.

Dartgod
07-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Yep, Pizza Shoppe and Minsky's are the two best tasting pizza places in KC, hands down.
I like Pizza Shoppe also. They seem to be making a comeback in KC.

Have you ever tried Funhouse?

eazyb81
07-15-2005, 08:56 AM
I like Pizza Shoppe also. They seem to be making a comeback in KC.

Have you ever tried Funhouse?

No, i've never even heard of Funhouse. I'm in North KC, is there one around here?

Dartgod
07-15-2005, 09:01 AM
No, i've never even heard of Funhouse. I'm in North KC, is there one around here?
No, 350 Hwy in Raytown would be closest to you.

http://www.funhousepizza.com/coupons.htm

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
That explains why I hate you. I've never met a male pizza manager that I didn't hate.

As opposed to meating a crossdresser he didn't like

eazyb81
07-15-2005, 09:08 AM
No, 350 Hwy in Raytown would be closest to you.

http://www.funhousepizza.com/coupons.htm

Hmm...I'll have to try it out sometime. What type of pizza do you suggest I order?

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Hmm...I'll have to try it out sometime. What type of pizza do you suggest I order?

Try a round one. They're great.

jidar1
07-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Papa Johns is the best pizza... mmmmm..
I could so tear up a Papa Johns pie right now.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 09:18 AM

:spock:

Dartgod
07-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Combo. No onions or peppers but it does have 'shrooms.

KCChiefsMan
07-15-2005, 09:47 AM
that pizza looks moldy in the crust

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 10:32 AM

The respect is mutual meatpeeker.

J Diddy
07-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Papa Johns is the best pizza... mmmmm..

Why are there visions of American Pie dancing wildly through my head right now.

Please for your safety let it cool off first.

Rausch
07-15-2005, 10:33 AM
The respect is mutual meatpeeker.

Indeed.

excessive
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Can't get good delivery where I live, Pizza Hut and Dominos only, so I've taken to making my on. It's pretty easy to do from scratch but time consuming.

Here's something faster, cheaper, and as good as any franchise pizza.

Get a Freschetta Brick Oven Pizza. I always keep a couple in my freezer. Pepperoni and Classic Supreme work for me. Add whatever extra toppings work for you. Me, I slice up some onion, garlic, and jalepeno, and load it up.

It's good.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 11:27 AM
I have a friend that puts marbles of cream cheese on frozen pizza and adds more cheese. They say it rocks, I have never tried it, but plan to.

I have another friend that their family when he was growing up used to cook the Totino's pizzas and then spread peanut butter on it and eat it.

They were strange tho.

eazyb81
07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Back in college I used to eat the $1 Totino's Crisp Crust pizzas all the time. I loaded them up with extra pepperonis, hamburger, and cheese, they were pretty good when coming home from the bars.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Oh I'm not dissing the Totino's - they are good when you're smashed.

excessive
07-15-2005, 11:36 AM
I think it's a midwest thing, loading up cheap pizzas. There were 9 kids in my family, didn't have a lot of money. Totinos and toppings ruled when I was a kid--until the yearly trip to Shakeys.

Ninjaman
07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
moldy ? try flour buddy.

I can see that your accustomed to the typical chain store fare.

Try a 'REAL' italian wood fired pizza. It's crispy and real moldy looking. MMMMM.

Jenson71
07-15-2005, 11:42 AM
moldy ? try flour buddy.

I can see that your accustomed to the typical chain store fare.

Try a 'REAL' italian wood fired pizza. It's crispy and real moldy looking. MMMMM.

Do you make them? What kind of equipment do you need?