PDA

View Full Version : Admins... More help on getting the Planet at home please.

KCTitus
09-19-2000, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure if you got my e-mail, so I'll try you here.

I typed in the numbers in the address box, and got thru to the server.

What do I need to do now?

Thanks,

Coogs

AustinChief
09-19-2000, 09:19 AM
Who do you use as your ISP at home?
Where do you live?

--AustinChief

Fat Homer
09-19-2000, 09:37 AM
"Typed in the numbers"? - you have to put the IP address in? If so, your problem is with your ISP's DNS server. DNS resolves FQDNs (domain names such as www.chiefsplanet.com, (http://www.chiefsplanet.com,) www.microsoft.com, (http://www.microsoft.com,) etc.) to their IP address (123.1.2.3, etc.). If typing in the domain name does not work, then your DNS is not resolving the address. This can be verified by typing the site's ip address in manually (as you have). http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

KCTitus
09-19-2000, 09:41 AM
Austin Chief,

JBN telephone company out of Wetmore, Kansas.

I live in Mahaska, Kansas. Small town of about 100 people on the Nebraska line.

KCTitus
09-19-2000, 09:43 AM
Austin Chief,

Like I said before, in case you forgot, I could get the Planet until you switched servers.

AustinChief
09-19-2000, 09:49 AM
Coogs,

HC_Chief is probably right...when we switched servers the IP address that was tied to the domain name(ChiefsPlanet) changed. So all the DNS servers out there needed to be updated...your ISP may not have updated their DNS...this happens alot in smaller markets. I have sent JBN an email asking them to check on this situation.

Thanks,
Kyle

KCTitus
09-19-2000, 10:00 AM
Austin Chief,

Thanks!

Sorry for the trouble!

Coogs

AustinChief
09-19-2000, 10:16 AM
Coogs,

Just spoke to one of the server guys at JBN and they checked and everything should be OK now. If problem continues tonight...they asked that you call them at
(877)704-4268
Monday to Friday - 9 am to 11 pm
Weekends - 12 noon to 6 pm
...they seemed really friendly and ready to help. You also may try and clear any cache that your browser has.

--Kyle

AustinChief
09-19-2000, 11:08 AM
I'm still not seeing any of these emails.

By the way, nice call on the DNS problem. I found 2 ISPs here in Iowa with the same problem when I was trying to get to the Planet from the road this weekend.

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
Jimmy Raye for President...anything to get him out of Kansas City
[i]More Moreau</I>

AustinChief
09-19-2000, 11:11 AM
htismaqe,

Send a test email to Admins@chiefsplanet.com

I can't seem to forward admin to us but admins seems to be working fine.

I'll look into it.

--Kyle

wutamess
09-19-2000, 11:14 AM
I thought those things were suppossed to get automatic updates like router tables??? Or is that just IPX GNS requests???

Dave (Wanting to sound smart too... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif)

KCTitus
09-19-2000, 11:17 AM
Austin Chief,

The ISP here at school is the same as the one at my home.

If it is a cache I have to clear at home, well, I'm don't know how to do that either!

Could you guide me through that process?

Thanks!

Coogs <P>

Lurker Brett
09-19-2000, 11:41 AM
Kyle, did you ever get the email I sent you and the admin email account?

AustinChief
09-19-2000, 11:45 AM
Coogs,
It shouldn't be a cache issue but just in case...

In Netscape 4.x:

<ol.<LI>Select Edit, then click Preferences. Select Advanced, then click Cache.<LI>Click on Clear Memory Cache and Clear Disk Cache buttons to clear the cache.[/list=a]

In Explorer 4.x:

<ol><LI>Select View, then click Internet Options (this is under "Tools" in Explorer 5.x) Select the General tab.<LI>Click on Delete Files to clear the cache. [/list=a]

In AOL:

<OL><LI>Select My AOL. Select Preferences, then click <A HREF="http://WWW.<LI>Select" TARGET=_blank>WWW.<LI>Select</A> Delete Files.[/list=a]

...also goto your TCP/IP settings for your Internet Connection and check to see if the DNS settings are...
Primary DNS - 63.86.133.3
Secondary DNS - 63.86.133.2

--Kyle

P.S. If this still doesn't work...call JBN...they can probably walk you through this pretty quick.

Fat Homer
09-19-2000, 11:50 AM
Dave - generally, ISP Name Server host tables are updated when they synchronize with their backbone's name servers - but that is usually for reverse-lookups (resolving IP traces of addys to their fqdn); or for updating host tables for servers hosted on a specific network (i.e., servers hosted by the ISP). Most ISPs use caching DNS for ourgoing calls -- when a client attempts to connect to a site, the request hits the client's primary DNS server - if the hostname is not found, the request moves up to the client's secondary (and tertiery if applicable) -- then to Primary's primary, secondary, tertiery, and so on -- all the way to a root server if necessary. Once the resolution takes place, the Name Server retruns the addy to be cached on the client's primary DNS... and the client itself - so that further requests for resolution take less time. This alleviates the necessity of maintaining cumbersome host tables manually -- what a pain that would be! If the cache is dumped on the client's workstation & the primary DNS for that client, the resolution process has to start all over again.

In this particular instance, I bet the ISP's timeout variables were set too low for resolutions. It is either that, or they had not dumped their cache in some time -- leaving an incorrect IP addy for the domain name CHIEFSPLANET.COM.

Hope this helps some... rudimentary DNS explaination http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

AustinChief
09-19-2000, 11:58 AM
I am having trouble with the ADMIN account
but the ADMINS account is working fine.

so for now, please use admins(<-note the s)@ChiefsPlanet.com

--Kyle

Lurker Brett
09-19-2000, 12:02 PM
Kyle,

If #15 is in reference to me I emailed my tracert info to:

adminS@ChiefsPlanet.com and 'KyleT@kw.com'

I did this 9/18/00 at 1:22 PM

Mark

KCTitus
09-19-2000, 12:11 PM
Thanks fellas.

Wish I wasn't so dog gone ignorant in this area!

Coogs