PDA

View Full Version : Just a gut feeling...

htismaqe
09-19-2000, 03:04 PM
Not to be a bummer, but does anybody else get the feeling that this win was our start on the way to another 8-8 or 9-7 season, no playoffs, and the retaining of our coaching staff?

I mean, we had games like this last year (Ravens game), we'd lose a couple and then blow some hapless team out. Just enough points to call off the dogs, and then we go out and go ultra-conservative again and start the process all over.

I hope I'm just suffering from a severe case of cynicism right now, but I can see this being just enough to keep us mediocre and keep our current coaching staff intact.

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
Jimmy Raye for President...anything to get him out of Kansas City
[i]More Moreau</I>

HC_Chief
09-19-2000, 03:06 PM
Yes. Until these guys prove that last week's coaching & execution was not a fluke, I believe we're in for another dreary 'almost' season. Because we 'were so close', the stooges will be retained... and we'll be stuck with a piss-poor offensively philosophy yet again next season.

I hope I'm wrong... I really do.

G_Man
09-19-2000, 03:07 PM
The Chargers game last wek was VASTLY different from the Ravens game last year. We were HORRIBLE offensively against the Ravens. We won that game with two defensive touchdowns, and because Stoney Case was at QB, NOT because we introduced them to our air game. They're both sub-par teams (or, at the point we played them anyway), but this game left WAY more to look forward to. I agree, it's too early to tell whether this was a one-game fluke, but I wasn't nearly this happy after the ravens game.

TEX
09-19-2000, 03:09 PM
When have the Chiefs ever finished 8-8?

htismaqe
09-19-2000, 03:11 PM
TX,

I was speaking figuratively... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Parker
[i]More Moreau</I>

ck_IN
09-19-2000, 03:13 PM
I've wondered this myself HQ. I can see an 8-8 or 9-7 or even a 7-9 being just enough to let Gun make excuses and retain his job and the staff's.

Regardless I think Raye should go. Unless Gun shows some kind of commitment to opening the O he should be gone as well. We've too much talent for a subpar record.

TEX
09-19-2000, 03:13 PM
That is also my biggest fear. I can see the Chiefs just playing well enough to keep Raye and NOT get a good draft pick. This team has talent and once a new coaching staff takes over, I wouldn't be surprised to see a dramatic improvement.

Seriously, I'd love to see Gun STAY ONLY if he FIRES Raye, hires a new offensive coordinator (AL SAUNDERS) and keeps his hands OFF the offense. He can be the most help on the DEVENSIVE side of things. For one, he can help Kurt grow a pair. I 'd also welcome the addition of Steve Deberg as QB Coach.

HC_Chief
09-19-2000, 03:19 PM
TX - Saunders is the OC in StLouis now, no? Why would he leave a SB calibre team for a struggling franchise like KC? AND, is that move legal? I thought position coaches could only go to another team if they were fired -- if they were still under contract, their move had to be vertical (e.g., from QB coach to OC)

Saunders wanted to be HC -- I don't think he would come back for any lesser position.

htismaqe
09-19-2000, 03:28 PM
IMHO, we've got guys in here playing that we haven't had before, or at least of a different caliber. Not only do we have Donnie Edwards and Eric Hicks, but we've got Wesley, Dennis, and Bartee, who are all future studs. Not that big of a surprise on defense.

But on offense we have the Cat, Gonzo, Tait and Riley, TRich, Lockett, possibly Moreau and Hall. I can't remember the last time we really did have this much firepower on offense.

I'd really hate for it to go to waste, and under the current coaching staff that's exactly what's going to happen. There's not really anything, short of 13 more games of identical playcalling as last week that will change my mind.

------------------
Parker
[i]More Moreau</I>

TEX
09-19-2000, 03:34 PM
HC,
Saundars is only the Rams Receivers Coach - not the OC. He might come back here for a promotion. Mike Martz is both their Head coach and OC. That is exactly the roll I want Gun to fill except on the defensive side of course!!!

HC_Chief
09-19-2000, 03:41 PM
TX - hrmph, I thought Saunders was promoted. Oh well...

I agree 100%!! Saunders, back here as HC & OC... or, Gunther as HC & DC, with Saunders as OC -- either way, it's a HUGE improvement over the Three Stooges. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

TEX
09-19-2000, 03:59 PM
HC,
You know as well as I that only one, if any,of the Stooges will be replaced. IMHO, the biggest improvement would be if Raye is the one that gets the boot.

I read a recent article (I believe on ESPN)in which Al Saundars said very good things about Carl Peterson. It was ALL good. Maybe, he's keeping the door open. This is only speculation on my part but at this point I can still dream!! *grin*

HC_Chief
09-19-2000, 04:08 PM
TX - if Saunders were to get the HC job, I'm almost positive he would replace 80% of the current coaches with his own choices. I don't know if he would want to be HC/OC though...

DaKCMan AP
09-19-2000, 05:28 PM
What I'm scared about is the Seahags. No, I don't think they are a very dangerous team now, but in the future. Shawn Alexander looked like a stud in preseason and is waiting in the wings for Ricky's departure. I have become a Dallas Cowboy's fan this season, hoping they can win as many games as possible. Can you imagine the Seahags getting two top 10 or top 15 draft picks? They'd probably get their QB and a WR/DL. Then they get Dallas's number 1 the year after too. Hopefully the Boy's can get a decent record.

stevieray
09-19-2000, 05:58 PM
In reply to post#8...This is why I don't feel we will go 8-8. Look at the YOUTH on the roster...This is not the same team as last year...How many sacks this time last season? How many TD passes?

42 points without 1 defensive score...When was the last time THAT happened for the Chiefs?

Remember, TG didn't even get a catch last year till the third game, and he went to the PB...

I hope we are rounding the corner, A chiefs win and Faider loss puts us in FIRST place...

Somebody pinch me...

gh4chiefs
09-19-2000, 08:22 PM
I share your concerns Parker. If we have another "almost there" season, we'll probably come back with the same thing (read coaches and offensive philosophy) next year. That's been the Chiefs MO over the last few years.

The thing is, I really believe we're a good football team at the core. IMHO we're just a good coaching staff and stud HB away from really being a serious SB contender.

I find myself in this strange position of knowing that the coaching staff has to go, and for them to go, I know it's going to take a really bad season. So do you want them to win or lose? If they win, I want them to win it all. If they're just gonna win 8 or 9 games miss the playoffs, well I say the hell with that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

------------------
Gary

Chiefnj
09-19-2000, 09:41 PM
I'm still too excited about last weeks win to get bummed out. The thing about the game that was great was that we actually changed our style of play. We didn't eek out a 14-13 game by playing it safe and playing not to lose. We were aggressive on both sides of the ball for a change. Gun and the coordinators must have all gotten into a car accident while making a late night Dunkin Donuts run and hit their heads. Whatever the cause, it was refreshing.

If we come out against Denver with a balanced Offense that utilizes the deep ball and an aggressive defense where we get pressure from our front 4 and get vicious hits from our secondary I will be happy, even in defeat.