PDA

View Full Version : Mike Maslowski coming back?!?!?!?

Bowser
10-11-2005, 09:33 PM
He is, according to Nick Athan. Jack Harry had a quick hit of an interview with Athan, saying Maz has been working out 7days a week in Olathe, and the Chiefs are very interested in re-signing him, hinting that we are gong to make a permanent shift to the 3-4 due to poor defensive line play.

I just can't believe that Maz is ever going to play at a high level again. I hope for his sake and ours that he can, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Is this for real, or is this another "Athan-ism"?

teedubya
10-11-2005, 09:34 PM
im embarassed for you Bowser

Hydrae
10-11-2005, 09:34 PM
There are days I wonder who his connection is because he is smokin' some fine swag!

tk13
10-11-2005, 09:36 PM
MAZ!!!!! Super Bowl here we come baby! htismaqe will be eating his words then!!!! :)

:D

jspchief
10-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Maz should be back in the next 48 hours.

Eleazar
10-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, I dont consider this very likely... it is Athan after all... but it would be nice to see Maz get back out there.

The Bad Guy
10-11-2005, 09:44 PM
If this is true, it's a god damn joke.

The guy was SLOW and not the answer when his knees weren't shot.

Where is he going to play? OLB? Bell is the inside backer in the 3-4. That would leave him on the outside and that is a disaster.

Good lord.

Simplex3
10-11-2005, 09:49 PM

Where is he going to play? OLB? Bell is the inside backer in the 3-4. That would leave him on the outside and that is a disaster.

Good lord.
In a 3-4 you have two inside backers. Bell & Maz. Two outside. Johnson and who cares.

DenverChief
10-11-2005, 09:52 PM

Good lord.

If he plays OLB in a 4-3 why couldn't he play OLB in a 3-4?

Dunit35
10-11-2005, 09:55 PM
he played an inside backer in the 3-4..which Ive heard is the same as a outside backer in 4-3. or maybe im wrong

Simplex3
10-11-2005, 09:58 PM
He played RILB (may have been LILB) at Pittsburg. It isn't really like either the MLB or OLB from a 4-3, it's kind of a hybrid of the two.

Mr. Kotter
10-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Mitchell and Bell: one would be inside, and one would be outside....if Maz is signed for inside in a 4-3.

From what I've seen of Bell, either we go to a 2005 version of the 3-4 "Falcon" with Bell as DT.....or we switch Mitchell to the outside.

Either way, we better do it SOON. Personally, I'm in favor of giving this a look. It's too bad Fujita is wearing a Cowboys uniform and we have to pray Maz can pull this off. :banghead:

Archie Bunker
10-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Good god. This would be a terrible. He was a glorified below average MLB before the knee injury. He doesn't fit anywhere. Kawika has been a good MLB in the 4-3 and Bell would move inside in a 3-4.

Give Maz's league min to a DT or WR.

Mr. Kotter
10-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Good god. This would be a terrible. He was a glorified below average MLB before the knee injury. He doesn't fit anywhere. Kawika has been a good MLB in the 4-3 and Bell would move inside in a 3-4.

Give Maz's league min to a DT or WR.

I cannot for the life of me believe the Chiefs are sitting pat at DT.....there are a couple of wide-bodies sittin' on couches somewhere who could fuggin' put Junior on the bench, I'm afraid. :banghead:

:shake:

Halfcan
10-11-2005, 10:15 PM
At least Maz had the heart of a lion. I watched the interview on tv. Maz has been workig out everyday.

the Talking Can
10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
jesus ****ing a christ

this is what's come to?

Dunit35
10-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I cannot for the life of me believe the Chiefs are sitting pat at DT.....there are a couple of wide-bodies sittin' on couches somewhere who could fuggin' put Junior on the bench, I'm afraid. :banghead:

yea Cletidus Hunt?

beer bacon
10-11-2005, 10:30 PM
OH MAN I AM SO UPSET!!!!!11111FIVE

Eleazar
10-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Just another ploy by Vermeil to prevent the rise of Scanimal

B_Ambuehl
10-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Didn't Maz make 150+ tackles one year playing OLB?

Regardless, he's a proven veteran that if nothing else can fill in for one of the young MLBers you have playing special teams (Grigsby and Scanlon). Either one of those guys can be moved to the practice squad or you can cut Washington to make room for him.

jidar
10-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Maz is old and beat up, but the guy played his ass off. He might be good for depth reasons, which if we pick him up will be what he's used for. I couldn't see him in very many snaps and he probably wouldn't even suit up most of the games.

That said none of this matters because this is a Nick Athan rumor so it's nearly 100% likely going to be wrong.

Anyong Bluth
10-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Just some food for thought.

Maz isn't ideally suited for coming back, as people has above posted. He has limited range and his presence would require Bell to remain outside - where I think he is ill-suited. His inside role affords him a better chance to run down in pursuit on running plays that stretch it to the outside, and he's big enough to hold his ground while clogged in traffic in the middle. Putting him outside requires him to operate in more soft space and he just doesn't excel it seems like that.

NOW- anyone else kind of wish we had Fujita around since K.Fox went down? Heck, Monty Beisel probably could be servicable. Wasnt his more natural position at outside because of his quickness, better coverage skill & weakness of holding ground in the middle and stuffing the gaps?

I think DJ, KM, KB and SF would be servicable? You could stack Bell and DJ on the sameside sometimes, but might have to account for teams then directing their attack away from them?

The loss of Fox & Sims really put quite a blow on depth and ability to mix up formations

Braincase
10-12-2005, 04:59 AM
From my sources:

Sports Reporters from the Planet Omicron Persei 8 have been in touch with Nick Athan, and have reported that orthopaedic surgeons from the Contact Sport Communal Mind Tank have been manipulating Maz's knee tissue through a combination of brain wave manipulation, protein rubs, and space fruit cocktail.

That's all I've got for now... time to put the aluminum hat back on to prevent brain cell irradiation...

Red Dawg
10-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Whatever? Maz has not played in 3 years.

Warrior5
10-12-2005, 06:15 AM
Maz should be back in the next 48 hours.

But there's only a 50-50 chance of it.

Demonpenz
10-12-2005, 06:26 AM
maz surgery had them like cutting off his leg at the knees and then reattatching it. The guy is awesome just for walking again

Mr. Kotter
10-12-2005, 06:45 AM
yea Cletidus Hunt?

Yup; and others.

greg63
10-12-2005, 06:46 AM
At least Maz had the heart of a lion. I watched the interview on tv. Maz has been workig out everyday. Maz is old and beat up, but the guy played his ass off. He might be good for depth reasons, which if we pick him up will be what he's used for...
Agreed, I always liked his intensity.

jspchief
10-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Why would KC want him? Mitchell's play has been pretty solid, plus MLB is one of our deepest spots.

I'd just as soon have the young prospects getting on the field for STs snaps.

Gaz
10-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Do we have roster room for a “Special Teams Warrior?”

If so, Maslowski is certainly The Man.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has a soft spot for overachieving guys with tons of heart.

morphius
10-12-2005, 07:02 AM
It's so sad that Jack Harry has outed himself so far out of the orginization that he has to rely on Athan as his main Chiefs insider.

Why do they let either of these guys on TV?

Seek
10-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Oh this is great. I needed a good laugh this morning. I am starting to think the janitor (his source) giving Nick Athan his information is being paid under the table by CP just to get a laugh.

First, we don't know if MAZ can even play. I would certainly think that Bell would be a better ILB putting Griffin (my first choice), or Scanlon on the outside. Or even that put Boomer or Scanlon on the inside and keep Bell outside.

jspchief
10-12-2005, 07:06 AM
It's so sad that Jack Harry has outed himself so far out of the orginization that he has to rely on Athan as his main Chiefs insider.

Why do they let either of these guys on TV?The sports media in KC is a joke.

I can't believe someone qualified hasn't come in and taken that city by storm. It's pretty sad when Des Moines has better sports media than KC.

greg63
10-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Do we have roster room for a “Special Teams Warrior?”

If so, Maslowski is certainly The Man.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has a soft spot for overachieving guys with tons of heart.

Good point. I could see him contributing on special teams.

ROYC75
10-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Some guys just never give up ?

Bowser
10-12-2005, 07:51 AM
im embarassed for you Bowser

Did you run into my high school counselor?

Bowser
10-12-2005, 07:55 AM

Why do they let either of these guys on TV?

That is exactly what I thought after watching his interview last night. Athan has become a bit of a fixture on Harry's 38 Sports Spot bit. I'm not really one of the Athan bashers, and don't follow his predictions real closely, but when was the last time the guy and his "insider information" on the money?

I laughed at the TV when Harry used this as his lead Chiefs story on the 10:00 news last night. I would watch Frank Boal for sports, but it seems like Fox has limited his segment to three minutes or less.

Bowser
10-12-2005, 07:57 AM
The sports media in KC is a joke.

I can't believe someone qualified hasn't come in and taken that city by storm. It's pretty sad when Des Moines has better sports media than KC.

Well, hell. You guys get Mitch Holthus every week for one-on-one interviews. Mitch is mostly on the radio with the head coach or GM/CEO/President/Grand Poo-bah, lobbing up softball pitches and playing yes man.

Iowanian
10-12-2005, 07:59 AM
If the Chiefs make a switch to the 3-4 this week........and didn't take advantage of an EXTRA week of practice to fully implement it....They're beyond fuggin morons.

The DTs DO suck.....and I think it makes alot more sense to bring a damn DT in, instead of a LB with a worn out Knee, with barber likely/possibly coming back.

I'll consider the source. Someone wake me up if he's ever right.

JakeT
10-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Nick Athan -- 6% of the time, he's right everytime

Kyle401
10-12-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm for it. He would be a great mentor/coach for Mitchell, Boomer, Griffin, and Scanlon. Plus, as Gaz mentioned, he is a standout contributor on special teams. I'm sure Dante would love to see him back.

4th and Long
10-12-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm sure Dante would love to see him back.
http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/1977/mazlownskied5ql.jpg

jspchief
10-12-2005, 08:37 AM
http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/1977/mazlownskied5ql.jpgAwesome.

Iowanian
10-12-2005, 08:40 AM
If Vermiel thought Warfield was "too rusty" to consider starting after 4 games, I suppose Maz wouldn't be viable to play for...a couple of years.

penguinz
10-12-2005, 08:46 AM
If Maz comes back we won't come close to the playoffs. He was an average player at best when he was healthy.

ROYC75
10-12-2005, 08:55 AM
If Barber comes back, that could be an upgrade, could as in maybe. The only thing Maz could help is possibly ST, could as in maybe.

Sorry, having visions of Maz chasing TE's, HB's or FB's downfield getting tourched is disturbing to say the least.

Personally, Maz coming back is well wishing, but for Harry and Nick to report it is like throwing at a dart board when you are drunk. You have a better chance of hitting the wall or the floor.

Kyle401
10-12-2005, 09:08 AM
If Maz comes back we won't come close to the playoffs. He was an average player at best when he was healthy.

An average player who holds the KC single season tackle record. Say what you want about his range and speed, but he finds his way to the ball and knows how to bring down the ball carrier when he gets there.

Seek
10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
An average player who holds the KC single season tackle record. Say what you want about his range and speed, but he finds his way to the ball and knows how to bring down the ball carrier when he gets there.

But that is the problem. We dont' want a guy to find the ball carrier. We want the guys we have know who attacke the ball carrier.

Maz lead the team in tackles but offense was gainiing 5+ yards after he made the tackle.

Sure-Oz
10-12-2005, 09:25 AM
no thanks

Lzen
10-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Whatever? Maz has not played in 3 years.

Correction, not quite 2 years. He played the first 10 games of the 2003 season.

htismaqe
10-12-2005, 11:12 AM

10 yards downfield...

htismaqe
10-12-2005, 11:38 AM

10 yards downfield...

chief99
10-12-2005, 12:44 PM

I agree. Get a DT.

Browning and Dalton are NOT cutting it.

Lets 'HOPE' for Siavii and Sims get healthier.

StcChief
10-12-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm NOT holding my breath until press conference by CP... :) :rolleyes:

Kyle401
10-12-2005, 01:58 PM
10 yards downfield...

Playing ROLB in 2002, (Stats available here (http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule/KC/2002)) Maz gave up an average of 2.87 yards on running plays and passes to the RB on plays where he made the tackle. Obviously without doing a complete film study of every defensive snap in 2002, I cannot say how many yards were given up on plays where he was out of position, blew a coverage, or missed a tackle. But at least this average shows he made a lot of plays against the run up near the line of scrimmage. He also had 3 picks and 2 FF in 02, so I would say he did a decent job of attacking the ball carrier and playing the ball in the air.

With all that in consideration, this is an Athan rumor at this point and Maz has had Major knee surgery since 2002. If he were to rejoin the team I think that his primary contributions would come on special teams and as a mentor to the young LB's that we have. In a 3-4 alignment I could see him being utilized as a situational OLB (i.e. short yardage rushing situations).

Chiefnj
10-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Kyle's kicking but.

Maz also had 9 passes defensed the year he started as an outside LB which helps to dispel the rumor he was poor in pass defense. That's as many as Warfield had in 2003 and 2004.

htismaqe
10-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Kyle's kicking but.

Maz also had 9 passes defensed the year he started as an outside LB which helps to dispel the rumor he was poor in pass defense. That's as many as Warfield had in 2003 and 2004.

Yeah, that "9" in a stat column sure helps me forget all those times I WATCHED him get burned...

BigRock
10-12-2005, 02:49 PM
This info is coming from Maz's agent, so there's no need to blame Nick Athan. If someone is making things up, it's the agent.

BigChiefFan
10-12-2005, 02:54 PM
If he can contribute, why not? I'm very skeptical he can contribute, though.

jspchief
10-12-2005, 03:01 PM
This info is coming from Maz's agent, so there's no need to blame Nick Athan. If someone is making things up, it's the agent.When Nick Athan is the only person reporting it, there's a reason to blame. Moreso when it turns out to be bullsh*t, like all Athan "scoops".

Now go help Nick with his spelling Mrs. Athan.

chefsos
10-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Damn, 4th, that Maz/Dante pic is absolutely kickass.

However, that's in the past, just like the legend of Maz. I think it's better kept there. It seems a substantial number of us would love to see him come back, but even if it happens, I don't see any way we could be anything but disappointed given the anticipation and buildup. Memory is funny that way.

I don't want to make this read like an eulogy, but let's just remember Maz, the player, as he was. That way, we can still swap increasingly outrageous fish stories involving his exploits, without the tarnish of an inevitably sour-tasting comeback.

Eh, neither the Chiefs nor Maz know or care what I think, anyway.

JMO.

BigChiefFan
10-12-2005, 04:03 PM
We don't need a starting DT, we need an over-the-hill, slow-ass, back-up LBer.

Bowser
10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
We don't need a starting DT, we need an over-the-hill, slow-ass, back-up LBer.

Now you're thinkin'.......