PDA

View Full Version : A Hugh Win! But where's our running game?

alanm
09-25-2000, 08:35 AM
I'm as elated as the next guy about our resurgent passing game, But where did our running game dissapear to? I know that Szott is a major cog that were missing and Blackshear is as good a replacement as there is. But let's face it we haven't been able to run on anyone this year. On the bright side though, the pass blocking has been a plus so far. I was at the game yesterday and it looks like they are executing run plays at half speed. I didn't see one back hit any hole at full speed. It's starting to look like the backs are hesitating and picking and choosing where to run. There were holes yesterday but the backs were slow getting to the line of scrimmage.

Red Till Dead
09-25-2000, 08:41 AM
We have been the recipient of many run blitzes so far this year. How many times have our backs been hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Think this is why the last several games we have seen the chiefs do so well in the passing game. Chiefs throwing on running downs, into a run blitz, easier to for back to pick up LB coming up the middle. So we have had great protection, and open receivers.

When teams start blitzing off the edges, corners and LBs to stop the pass, and middle defense drop into coverage, we may see Grbac get killed a few times, but also see the running game open back up!

Doing what you opponent doesn't expect gives our players the best chance to succeed.

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2000, 08:53 AM
Main thing that is happpening in the past 3 games is their forcing Grbac to beat them.Another thing did anyone else see the the cutback lanes when Cloud ran.

[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 09-25-2000).]

Gaz
09-25-2000, 09:13 AM
Take what the Defense gives you and attack there. I don’t care if we have zero rushing attempts If the enemy D plays run, THROW THE BALL OVER THEM!

I was surprised that the Broncos Defense did not start playing the pass in this game. They did stuff our running game [kudos to the D], but when we threw over them, they did not drop back and adjust. It seemed to me that they kept keying on the run.

Of course, I was at home. Did it appear that way in the stadium?

xoxo~
gaz
a staunch proponent of “hit ‘em where they ain’t.”<BR>

Tribal Warfare
09-25-2000, 09:20 AM
Where was Cloud vision almost on every rrun of his their was a cutback lane and he didn't go through it. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 09-25-2000).]

Luzap
09-25-2000, 09:26 AM
I also have questions.

Was Denver putting eight men in the box (either by formation or blitzing)? I couldn't tell from the TV angles (when oh when will we get the technology to choose our view?).

If that is the case ~ 4 games; 4 Ds totally committed to stopping our run ~ then I am not as worried about our running game. I do think, however, that there are things we could do to make it better.

For example, it's one thing for a D to cheat up against the run, but when they only have to cheat up on a run between the tackles... it's murder.

Run some off tackle and quick pitch plays!

Of course, it would be necessary to put the right personnel on the field ~ a RB that can go inside or outside ~ LIKE MOREAU!

Luz
give moreau the ball...

[This message has been edited by Luzap (edited 09-25-2000).]

Idaho Chief
09-25-2000, 10:13 AM
I did enjoy the one screen pass to Cloud. He picked up eight or ten yards and made a good move or two. He seems much better out in space. However, I think that TRich runs this play even better. I really wished that we would have seen more screen passes and passes to our RB's in the flat.

------------------
GO CHIEFS!!!!

58Forever
09-25-2000, 10:17 AM
It may be time to start looking at swing and screen passes instead of runs...I'm in agreement...take what the D give you...if everyone wants to key on the run...pass...screens and swings or little over the middle dumps are as good as runs...sooner or later they'll back off and it will open up the run...but Gun has to pick a guy and let him run 20 or more times...one guy, not 3, one...that's the only way to get any consistency in the running game IMO...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

TEX
09-25-2000, 10:21 AM
Without Dave Szott - the running game will be sub par all season - same as '98. Without Dave, our average RB's can't get the job done. Just another reason why we NEED a LEGIT RB behind Tony!

TEX
09-25-2000, 10:24 AM
ChiefPriority,
Yep, the lanes were there but Cloud did NOT see them. I noticed it on several of his runs, had he seen the lanes, the cut - back was there! I don't know how on earth he missed them. <BR>

Lightning Rod
09-25-2000, 10:32 AM
Sorry,
I just duplicated half of this post in my own topic.

I feel your pain A win is a win but we can't expect to keep winning games with half the offense and no special teams help.

Desert Chief
09-25-2000, 10:54 AM
It is troubling about our yds/carry average. Priority has a point, I too saw the cutback lanes open and was saying to myself "We miss a back with vision like Marcus".

Maybe it's time to see Anders in the back field. He can catch and loves to burn teams on the swing pass...

Some props to Denver for scheming our Running game --Can we do any worse V. Seattle ? I doubt it.