PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe they're really going through with this.

Spott
09-27-2000, 05:33 AM
Even though the Monday night matchup looks a little better than it did a few weeks ago, I still think this is a bad idea. http://www.kcchiefs.com/latest/mainnews.asp?storyID=1659&cat=1 <BR>

FloridaChief
09-27-2000, 06:27 AM
Seems overly gimmicky and not in good taste to me. Does anyone know if the 'overflow' profit is going to a charity? If so, I would be a little more comfortable w/ the whole thing.

------------------
"It made me sick, to be honest with you. Next to the Jacksonville loss, this was probably the toughest loss I've had since I've been here."

---Denver head coach Mike Shanahan speaking to The Denver Post after the Broncos let a 19-7 lead over the Kansas City Chiefs slip away in the fourth quarter.

Spott
09-27-2000, 06:33 AM
$10 tickets, $15 for the tailgate party, another $15 to park all to watch the game on a tv about 400 feet away. I would rather save the $50.00, & watch the game on a TV just a few feet away on my own couch. I wonder if Lamar ever thought about where these extra 12,000 people(if that many go) are going to park.

DJay23
09-27-2000, 07:40 AM
If you've ever read the Illustrated History of the Kansas City Chiefs by Alan Hoskins you know why this is being done. One of the only reasons that Lamar wanted to own a football team was to fill stadiums with people who would pay to see a football game. One of the driving forces to move the Texans to KC was that KC promised Lamar triple the season tickets and a larger stadium without any other teams playing in it. As you read this book, just about any quote from Lamar always refers in some way to, or leads back to putting bodies in seats to make him money. I had always heard that Lamar wants to fill his stadium every week to keep him fat and giggly, but I never knew that it was his number one goal in football.

Warrior5
09-27-2000, 07:42 AM
Anyone know the latest headcount for Kauffman tickets?

morphius
09-27-2000, 07:46 AM
I still basically think it is an interesting idea, not something I would do, but interesting to say the least. It will give some people who want to a chance to sit in a stadium with 10,000 other Chiefs fans and scream and chant at will. I think of it as a big bar type thing, only difference is that it will be outdoors, no smoking, and nothing but Chiefs fans. So I can see why some people might get a kick out of, especially if their into tailgaiting anyway. I have heard that some fans go out to Arrowhead for the tailgaiting and never go to the game, I could be wrong, but something like this would be perfect for someone like that.

Luzap
09-27-2000, 07:52 AM
If I lived in KC and didn't have tickets to the game, I would definitly be there.

The parking lot/tail gating atmosphere at Arrowhead on a Monday night is an event to experience.

Besides, if we have a large crowd, KC and the Chiefs will be the talk of the NFL all year! Think of the impression you would have if you were watching a Monday Night game in Seattle and the TV showed a STADIUM AND A HALF of fans! Everyone will envy the fan base in KC.

Luz
opposing teams will say that the chiefs can't pack all of their fans into the stadium ~ litterally!...

bishop_74
09-27-2000, 07:59 AM
I would be there too. Of course that is what Lamar is doing... it is his job. He is a business man out to make money. Plain and simple. I can accept that. He just wants to beat a record in this instance though. He is PROUD of the fact that he has the best fans in the business and probably wants to show it off... or he has a measly $1,000,000 bet with the previous record holders owner (RAMS). I don't know, I don't care, I think it is a fun idea, and if I was in KC, I would be there.

[This message has been edited by bishop_74 (edited 09-27-2000).]

Mile High Mania
09-27-2000, 08:02 AM
Sounds pretty weird to me ... I don't think all that much about the record. Why not just rent out all of the stadiums/Domes in Missouri and charge fans $5 to watch the games on jumbo trons?

Did you hear what is going on in Denver?

Sounds like they're the first of a few cities where Guiness Book folks will be there to register the "loudest fans". Nothing like picking the Pats game...

Cannibal
09-27-2000, 08:15 AM
Last I heard they had only sold 1,000 tickets. That only leaves 11,500 to go.

morphius
09-27-2000, 08:20 AM
Brad - To get the record, it has to be in the same complex, and both Arrowhead and Kaufman stadiums are in the Truman Sports Complex.

Mile High Mania
09-27-2000, 08:22 AM
Ahhhh, thanks for the tip.

I think it would still be a goofy and somewhat *tainted* record. It's fine to do it, but then if they get the record and make a big deal out of it would be kinda silly.

morphius
09-27-2000, 08:24 AM
Brad- Lamar figures that we may just end up being an * next to the record, but he figures it would be a fun thing if people want to do it. Plus I think it is the Raiders that have the record right now, and there is something wong about a team who can't sell out 1 of 25 games at home having this record.

redbrian
09-27-2000, 08:38 AM
What is it with this charity thing.

Number 1 the Chiefs & Lamar are not doing this for the money. At $10.00 a pop this will not cover the extra overhead and promotional costs.

Number 2 the record is held by the LA Rams and I don't remember who at the Coloseum (sp)

Number 3 It's just for fun guys, lighten up, if you don't see the value don't go.
This is what the free market is all about.

morphius
09-27-2000, 08:40 AM
Redbrian - I had heard that it was the LA Colisium and assumed it had to have been the Raiders. Thanks for the correction.

Spott
09-27-2000, 08:58 AM
Redbrian,
If they're not doing it for the money, then why are they charging $10 for tickets & full parking price?

[This message has been edited by mizzou5 (edited 09-27-2000).]