PDA

View Full Version : Stats for top college RB's...

Coogs
09-27-2000, 02:46 PM
There are 3 or 4 top notch (size and speed)seniors , and a couple of juniors (if they come out).

Of the seniors,
Deuce McAllister of Mississippi...45 carries for 276 yds, 8 receptions for 100 yds, 6 punt returns for 125, and 6 kickoff returns for 106, withh 7 TD's total.

LaDainian Tomlinson from TCU... 86 carries for 559 yards, and 3 receptions for 5 yards, with 7 total TD's - all rushing.

Anthony Thomas from Michigan... 96 carries for 649 yards, 3 receptions for 44 yards, with 6 TD's all rushing.

Travis Henry from Tennessee... 69 carries for 355 yards, 5 receptions for 13 yards, with 3 TD's.

Lamont Jordan from Maryland (rated highest comming into season)... 64 carries for 188 yds, 7 receptions for 106 yds, with 5 TD's.

Juniors

Rudi Johnson from Auburn... 115 carries for 588 yds, 3 receptions for 44 yds, with 7 TD's.

DeShaun Foster from UCLA... 114 carries for 471 yards, 8 receptions for 60 yards, with 6 TD's.

Pro teams needing RB's...

New England 0-4
San Diego 0-4
Chicago 0-4
San Fran(?) 1-3
Dallas(?) 1-3
Cinncinnati(?) 0-3
Pittsburgh(?) 0-3
Cleveland(?) 2-2
Kansas City 2-2
Miami 3-1

Cannibal
09-27-2000, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info.

Very interesting...

It looks like it's gonna be tough for a lot of teams to snag a decent RB next year.

I had no idea the "A-Train" was putting up those kinds of numbers.

Phobia
09-27-2000, 03:12 PM
Show me Thomlinson's numbers after TCU plays somebody.

Thanks for the info! Coogs, you are the college football authority around here as far as I'm concerned.

Mosbonian
09-27-2000, 03:27 PM
Cannibal:

I know you are going to blast me for pushing this guy, but here are the stats for Woody Dantzler:

Rushing- 58 carries for 500 yards, 5 Td's rushing

Passing- 52 completions-79 attempts for 691 yards, 1 Int., 7 TD's passing (longest - 52 yards)

Receiving- 1 reception for 3 yards

not too shabby....

mmaddog

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"

pauly24_76
09-27-2000, 03:30 PM
why do the 49ers need a new rb??
they got one of the best in the league in garner

Cannibal
09-27-2000, 03:36 PM
I ain't gonna blast ya...

But I still think the guy has much to prove.

Those are insane numbers though, what teams did he put them up against?

Mosbonian
09-27-2000, 03:47 PM
Cannibal:

The Citadel, Wake Forest, Missouri and Virginia.

Not exactly the top 50, but not creampuffs either. The Citadel has a pretty good Division 2A record, Wake Forest was supposed to have a good defense/crappy offense, Virginia an average team but the game was played at Charlottesville.

But to be honest most of the numbers put up by the guys mentioned here were probably by teams playing the same type of schedule.

The toughest part of their schedule comes in their last 4 games. They have:

North Carolina (at Chapel Hill)
Georgia Tech
Florida State (at Tallahassee)
South Carolina

mmaddog

------------------

HC_Chief
09-27-2000, 03:54 PM
Thomas from Michigan fits the KC smashmouth mold: Big, Tough, N/S RB.

Cannibal
09-27-2000, 03:54 PM
Those are some pretty horrible teams. We'll see how he does against the tougher competition.

You think Danztler might play RB in the pros?

Mosbonian
09-27-2000, 03:56 PM
Or staying in South Carolina, here are some numbers for Sophomore Derek Watson from the USC Gamecocks:

68 rushes for 451 yards, 7 TD's
10 catches for 73 yards, 0 TD's

Their schedule was:

New Mexico State
Georgia (rated #9 when they played them)
Eastern Michigan
Mississippi State(#24 rated when they played them)

mmaddog

------------------

Mosbonian
09-27-2000, 04:01 PM
Cannibal:

He is probably better suited to the RB position. He bowled over the kid from Mizzou who is supposed to be the stud defensive guy on the way to the end zone on one play.

He is the kind of guy who would be good as a RB who can truly throw the HB option pass.

mmaddog

------------------

Cannibal
09-27-2000, 07:03 PM
IMO, a guy like that could be invaluable.

If he has the talent to play RB as starter and possibly backup or emergency QB in the NFL you could save a roster spot with him. Just play him at RB and carry only two QB's with the RB being the third QB in case of emergency. Then you could carry an additional player at another position.

NaptownChief
09-27-2000, 07:14 PM
Anthony Thomas' numbers are inflated this year because of a very good offensive line...He is very slow to the hole for a Division I back...He is a grinder but I really don't think he has the quickness to be very successful at the NFL level. Keep a eye on TJ Duckett from Michigan St, he is everything the Chiefs need. He is huge with 4.4 speed and strong as an ox...Benches around 465 pounds...He played LB as a freshman and plays the RB position the same way...But he is only a Sophomore so we will have to wait at least a year.

Coogs
09-27-2000, 07:32 PM
Pauly,

I didn't know how old Garner was. Still don't for that matter. But I was thinking the 49ers might do something like the Seahawks did last year and grab a young guy to be his replacement if one is available. That's why I put the question mark by some teams.

One Arrowhead Dave
09-27-2000, 09:27 PM
I've never noticed the A-train as being slow to the line. Duckett and Thomas are very similar backs but Duckett needs to improve greatly before he is compared to Thomas.
The A-train is NFL all the way.

------------------
CHIEFS

One Arrowhead Dave
09-27-2000, 09:58 PM
"Show me Thomlinson's numbers after TCU plays somebody"

Does that mean Jerry Rice, Sly Morris, Greg Wesley, Walter Payton, Marshall Faulk, & other small school players did not play anybody when they were in college? Opponents do not determine talent. Good players make it to the NFL and LaDainian Tomlinson is NFL material all the way, IMO

------------------
CHIEFS

[This message has been edited by Best-in-West (edited 09-28-2000).]

Mi_chief_fan
09-28-2000, 06:16 AM
Coogs,
What's your take on Clinton Portis of Miami(FL)? He ran well last year, except for the fumbles. He remided me alot of Edgerrin James, the guy he replaced. IMO, if he finds a cure for his "fumblitis", he's the best out there.

alanm
09-28-2000, 07:36 AM
Your forgetting about Dan Alexander at Nebraska. Came from Wentzville Mo.-sp. He's 6'2" 250lbs about 3% body fat. Runs the 40 in 4.5 and averaging 144.5 ypg. Check him out Saturday night! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Coogs
09-28-2000, 07:47 AM
Mi-Chiefs-Fan,

I really haven't seen a lot of these guys play. I have seen McAllister, Thomas, Johnson, and Foster. I have no idea on your guy from Miami, but that is one reaon I started this post. I would like to find out who the top backs are, and who the board prefers, so I can watch them more closely the rest of the season.

Alanm,

I just didn't mention Dan Alexander because he is from Nebraska. I am a Nebraska fan, but the RB's from NU usually don't pan out as stars in the NFL.

alanm
09-28-2000, 11:40 AM
I don't know Coogs most of the recent crop of RB's and Fullbacks have made teams recently.

chiefs
09-28-2000, 11:47 AM
He's still young and new, but I would keep an eye out on Montrell Lowe from Purdue. I think in the next couple of years he'll prove to be something great.

NaptownChief
09-28-2000, 11:59 AM
Best in the West,

So you think Duckett has a long way to go before he is up to the 4.3 yards per carry avg that the A Train put up last season? You can't fairly evaluate Thomas based on this years numbers cause they have come against lowly programs like Bowling Green and Rice. His performance against Illinois is impressive and against UCLA he looked good but they are always very soft on defense especially against he run. Throw in the fact that he is probably running behind the best O line in college I don't believe he is doing anything that a lot of other Div 1 RB's wouldn't do with that schedule and O line. I could be wrong but lets re-evaluate after we get a few games into the Big Ten season and see if his numbers don't migrate towards that 4.3 average he put up last year.

ct
09-28-2000, 12:05 PM
alanm,

Ahman Green, Lawrence Phillips, Derek Brown, Calvin Jones
in recent memory. Only Phillips got any press, and we all know what kind of press he got.

Now FBs, I'll give you that one. Very solid FBs in the NFL from Huskerland. But RBs, I think I'd have to go back to Roger Craig, and that's ancient history.

Have I forgotten someone?

------------------
ct
Give TRich the Ball!!!

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 09-28-2000).]

NaptownChief
09-28-2000, 12:13 PM
coyrt,

Don't forget the great Ken Clark #32.

ct
09-29-2000, 08:06 AM
For anyone interested, a draft preview for the RB position on CBS Sportsline's site.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/feature/0,1518,2844296_59,00.html

ct