PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs don't want shootout with Broncos

htismaqe
09-19-2000, 05:33 AM
Did you all just hear Bob Dole scream in aggravation?

"We don't want to get into a shootout," Chiefs quarterback Elvis Grbac said. "We want to be able to control the ball. When we played Indianapolis, we tried to keep their offense off the field. That's what we're going to have to do against Denver a little bit. We're going to have to run the ball well, we're going to have eat up some clock, and we're going to have to score points.

Perhaps someone could point out to Elvis and the coaches that KC ran a balanced offense last Sunday (34 rush, 33 pass) rather than going back to the oh-so-effective "we're going to have to run the ball" and still won the time of possession battle 35:09 to 24:51.

Bob Dole never ceases to be amazed...
http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/chiefs.pat,sports/3774c51a.918,.html <BR>

CASHMAN
09-19-2000, 05:36 AM
I think that's the perfect plan! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Mi_chief_fan
09-19-2000, 05:38 AM
Senator,
Don't worry: it's just part of the deception plan!
Seriously, I think Grbac is just trying to state that the Chiefs need to keep the Donks offense off the field as much as possible. He better NOT be advocating more 3 and punts just to "run down the clock".

htismaqe
09-19-2000, 07:06 AM
I'm not too terribly worried by these comments and I actually agree.

There is no need for us to go to a pass first Offense. A balanced O is our strength and hopefully our D can keep the Donks from jumping out to a humoungus lead and pulling us out of a balanced attack.

On the other hand, if the Donks stack the line... air Elvis!

Luz
give moreau the ball...

Raiderhater
09-19-2000, 07:09 AM
I disagree, Luz. You pass to set up the run. That's what we did last week, and it's what we should continue to do.

Excluding the first quarters same-ol-same-ol, once we started getting the ball downfield the game changed immeasurably.

DaKCMan AP
09-19-2000, 07:13 AM
The question really is, can the Donx stop our run this year? They were not able to last season, so we will have to see.

I of course want us to keep a balance attack, nothing made me happier then actually passing on third and long to get the first downs. Hopefully like a few others have said, it is mostly talk.

Raiderhater
09-19-2000, 07:17 AM
Just throwing this into the mix, but if anyone recalls all the talk before the Tennessee game was that we were going to 'open the playbook' - this resulted 6 pass attempts in the first half.

Using this logic, 'running the ball,clock and playing defense' should mean actual offensive production.

The one flaw in the reasoning--using reason and logic to deduce what JR/Gun might do.

Warrior5
09-19-2000, 07:20 AM
The Broncos might not be able to stop our running game like last season, as Morph pointed out. I'd like to see early PA passing mixed in, but we might be successful running the ball in this game.

FWIW, I hope we don't underestimate Mike Anderson and that we tackle well like last week. We have to hold him to half the yardage he got against the Raiduhs.

Dr. Red
09-19-2000, 07:21 AM
Morph - that's difficult to tell. We have been stopping our own running game by being so obvious in our attack.

Time of possession is going to be a key to the game, but we are going to have to put up +27 points to win this game, IMO. Denver has the ability to gain yards in bunches (to use a Marty phrase). If we want to match them puch for punch, I think we're going to have to put the ball in the air 30x on Sunday.

htismaqe
09-19-2000, 07:23 AM
Titus,

If they put eight in the box for us, we can (and should) pass to set up the run.

I suspect they will either do that, or play a normal D with additional blitzes to pressure Grbac.

If the later, I feel a balanced game would be the way to go. We (finally) have a lot of tools to use, but they will only be available if we can keep their D guessing what we'll do next.

If I understand you correctly, you're advocating passing until we can force them into nickle packages on most downs and I just don't see that happening.

Luz
not that i haven't been wrong before...<P>

Raiderhater
09-19-2000, 07:27 AM
Well, almost Luz. I dont think they're going to give our passing game so much respect that they play a lot of nickel coverage.

But stretching the D should be an imperative for us early in the game. By stretching, I mean, pass more times than not especially on the typical running downs for the Chiefs. Then KC can come back and run out of a 3 wide set later in the game or pass out of a 2 TE set.

Of course, when you line up in the I on 1st and 10 with 2 TE's, you're kind of limited to what you can do.

DaKCMan AP
09-19-2000, 07:27 AM
Chitown - I mostly agree with that. As for how many points they are going to put up I'm not sure. Our teams know eachother so well it could go any which way, just like with everyone else in our division.

Chieffan
09-19-2000, 07:38 AM
They must make enough yardage to make the Broncos drive the length of the field to score. That means that every drive must make it to at least the 45 yardline of the Chiefs to give "Sourbuns" the chance to pin them deep. Punting/Special Teams is going to be key, this will be a typical AFC West barfight. As far as deception goes, the Chiefs are great at deceiving their own team.

redbrian
09-19-2000, 07:54 AM
IMO the Broncos secondary is even weaker than the front 7...they certainly have no answer for DA AND Morris. Who's going to stop the Cat? Terrell Buckley? Ray Crockett? HA HA HA!! If Gun 7 Co. will be aggressive on both sides of the ball, KC could dominate.

Of course, they won't.

Raiderhater
09-19-2000, 07:55 AM
Exactly, Clint. Which is why the should pass first. Attack that D.

redbrian
09-19-2000, 08:01 AM
I agree, but I'm afraid that Gun will crawl back into his shell.

DaKCMan AP
09-19-2000, 08:11 AM
We proved that we can beat a good D this last week, I would like us to prove that we can embarrass a bad D this week. I just want us to go with what they give us, and prove that no matter what a team gives us that we can beat you doing it.

alanm
09-19-2000, 08:13 AM
I agree that we do not want a shootout.

Grbac had a great game Sunday, but let’s not get carried away. We are not “Air Cunningham.” The Chargers are a very good run D and they stacked the line against the run. Under those circumstances, you MUST throw the ball.

If the Broncos come out in a conventional D, then we should rely heavily on the running game, throwing occasionally on 1st & 2nd down to keep them honest. Give them a dose of good old smashmouth with Richardson and Moreau. Throw to Gonzalez and Morris from play action. Classic Chiefs football. There is no reason to be ashamed of smashmouth when it is properly used.

If the Broncos come out with 8 or 9 on the line, then we throw over them and force them to back off. Then go back to the smashmouth attack. A “we’re gonna throw the ball and you can’t stop us” attitude is not a significant improvement over “we’re gonna run the ball and you can’t stop us.”

Balance, Grasshoppers, is all.

xoxo~
gaz
depending on Raye to adjust to the Broncos D, and still nervous about it.<BR>

Dr. Red
09-19-2000, 08:21 AM
Gaz -

I would agree with some assemblance of balance, but I think we'll need to pass more than run against the Donks.

When we had an effective run against the Chargers last week it was due to our ability to pass the ball. I just don't want to see the Chiefs come out and run the ball the first two downs and get into a 3 and 7 situation right off the bat. We familiarized ourselves with that quite frequently in the first 2 games of the year.

Play action passes could be our best friend in this game.

Fat Homer
09-19-2000, 08:26 AM
Greg Robinson's D relies heavily on all-out blitzes. Denver runs them so often, and so recklessly, that it becomes exploitable. The O philosophy that has worked best against them thus far: quick passing to the outside, screens and draws. KC should be able to execute the short passing game effectively against Denver, and TRich is a monster on screen plays. Draws, however, will not work unless you have a fast, shifty back (N Kaufman tore them UP!). We need to exploit the Denver weakness: sloppy, over-agressive blitzing in front of a suspect secondary. We should take at least two shots down the field per half -- it keeps a D honest http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by HC_Chief (edited 09-19-2000).]

Lurker Brett
09-19-2000, 08:52 AM
Shootout or not the game plan has to be flexible enough to exploit what you are faced with.

If the Donks want to line 8-9 guys up front then you better be ready to pass.

God forbid if we try to run against an 8-9 front just to run clock. Result, definite loss.

DaveC
09-19-2000, 09:54 AM
I can't understand the "regular or de-caf" either/or scenario a necessity at all. The reason why the offense was able to set up a squatters camp on the field Sunday was a result of creatively mixing the two, not only when appropriate, but inappropriate, as well (when was the last time you saw a pass on first down?) Predictability will result in predictable results. Heck, I'd like to see Moreau throw the ball - but sometimes this plate in my head makes me a little sleepy.

WarPaint
09-19-2000, 10:09 AM
I think the key is that we need to get off to a faster start than we did against the Chargers. Early on we couldn't run the ball and our routes were short and passes even shorter. Grbac was throwing at their shins. Unfortunately, Denver will be able to move the ball. We can't fall into a hole early and expect to climb our way out of it.

Frazod
09-19-2000, 12:08 PM
I agree with those who say to take what the defenses give us. We have the weapons to take advantage of both the run and the pass. If they bring everyone up to stop the run, go over the top with our big receievers. Who do they double-team, Slymo or Gonzo? Either way one of our receivers will be open. If they play loose and respect the pass, smashmouth them with TRich and Moreau. Taking advantage of what the defense gives us will eventually open up the other for a good balance. I'm just elated at the offensive possibilities. I just hope that our coaches will take advantage of that all season. Who knows how far we can go?

Dan

ddpatterson
09-20-2000, 04:29 AM
If Grbac called audibles against SD only half as much as has been speculated, the crowd noise in Denver will effectively put the game in the hands of the Skybox Stooge. This thought scares the hell out of me.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>

Duck Dog
09-20-2000, 07:33 PM
I don't care if we win by 3 or 30, I just want them to play like they did last week. A balanced mix of runs and passes keep the oposing team off balance and gives us the advantage.

I love it when they air it out. Makes the game even more exciting.

[This message has been edited by dawsonpa (edited 09-20-2000).]