PDA

View Full Version : Our weakest position & potential draft....

Phobia
09-22-2000, 09:06 AM
This is straight from the other board. One of the better topics I've seen there in a few months and I hope the response is duplicated here for those that don't participate on kc.com(Credit to Rod Mcmillan).

Where are our weaknesses & what should we draft for next year? I'd like to see a PK drafted late that can also boom kickoffs. I think Sauerbraun is being distracted by kicking off & is being thrown because the mechanics are different. I want him to concentrate on punting. Reading between the lines on Gun's defense of Sauerbraun, I think he feels the same. I'd like to see a CB picked first. Someone with the skills to also possibly return kicks would be helpful. Is there a Champ Bailey Jr. available next year?

Your thoughts?

HC_Chief
09-22-2000, 09:11 AM
RUNNING BACK! First and foremost!!!!!!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Clint in Wichita
I think CB was thoroughly addressed in the last draft, and there's always Warfield to fall back on.

I still wanna see a QB or RB taken with a high first round pick.

Michael Vick or Deuce McAllister, preferably!

Phobia
I take it you aren't on the Moreau wagon, HC?

Phobia
09-22-2000, 09:13 AM
Clint,

I don't follow College as much as I used to but do you think Vick is an NFL style QB? I think he's another Kordell waiting to happen....

HC_Chief
09-22-2000, 09:16 AM
Phobia - I like Moreau... but I don't see him as a featured back. Just like all of our other average backs, he has only warranted 5-10 carries per game (as per the way our 'coaches' have utilized him). If he couldn't take the starting spot from Cloud this week, then we obviously need to find that elusive 'go-to' RB.

Cormac
09-22-2000, 09:23 AM
CB should be a priority again, as Hasty will likely retire this time around. I don't know that we'd find a Champ Bailey-type player though. He is to CBs what Jevon Kearse is to DEs. This year's top CB prospects Deltha O'Neal and Rashard Anderson (converted to Safety by Carolina) haven't shown that kind of potential.

I'd like a STUD RB too. Especially if Gun is no longer coaching for some reason. That way he'd hopefully get a chance to prove himself. Then again, in a new system, maybe one of our existing plethora of HBs would be good enough.......Moreau is good, and I hope he'll continue to show good vision and power-running, but he hardly has Fred Taylor/Edgerrin James kind of potential.

It's time to draft a top flight QB for development also. Chris Redman would have been a nice pick-up last season, he slipped further than I expected and became an absolute steal in the 3rd round for the Ravens. He has 1st round talent IMO, but after last year's QB extravaganza, I think this year's class might have been underestimated.

We'll likely need a new QB crusher also. Our D-line is thinned by injuries already, Browning is unreliably injury-prone, Clemons is only on a 1-year contract, Word didn't pan out, Dan Williams has to have several more 2-sack games before he justifies his cap-number, Steve Martin has been invisible as far as I can tell....etc......

[This message has been edited by Cormac (edited 09-22-2000).]

ck_IN
09-22-2000, 09:34 AM
I don't think QB is a draft need this year. Like him or not, EG is probably with us for another 5 years. I also don't see any QB's coming out that would A) fall to us, B) would be worth a #1 pick at that point. (Vick would be a top 5 pick. Brees isn't a 1st rnd pick at all)

We most likely won't have a shot at McCalister. The most likely RB we'd have a chance at would be Travis Henry from Tenn. He looked real good against FL.

The guy that has piqued my interest is Dan Guy from Jackson State. He's 6'1" 200+lbs with 4.3 speed. I still don't think we have our burner at WR. This guy seems a smaller quicker version of Morris and might fit the role.

A defensive tackle would be good but I don't think a 1st round need, unless one of the top guys falls.

Phobia
09-22-2000, 09:37 AM
Chuck,

Like Nebraska backs, I've never been a fan of Tennessee's backs in the NFL. Both program's products have typically underachieved recently in the NFL, IMHO.

ck_IN
09-22-2000, 09:42 AM
Can't argue with you there, but Jamal Lewis has looked great in Balt when he was healthy. He busted several long ones last week. And Henry has the same stats and subbed for Lewis when injured.

Actually I'm not seeing any standout RB's that we'd have a real shot at getting. I'm not willing to do a Ditka to get McCalister.<P>

Cormac
09-22-2000, 09:46 AM
Chuck,

I am happy with Grbac as our QB for as long as he is healthy/productive. The reason I would like to see us draft a QB in the 2001 draft (like Redman or Rattay i.e. 3rd or 4th rounder with potential) is to develop a decent back-up. We currently have back-ups with no real upsides. Back-ups get a whole lot of PT and it's an important position to have filled. If we were lucky, one might dislodge Grbac as starter if good enough in a few years. If not, then we still might have time to try to draft again before Grbac is gone.

BTW, I totally agree with your opinion of Brees.

Oxford
09-22-2000, 09:54 AM
If EG is still in thier plans then a mid round QB. If not trade up to get a franchise type if available.

If we are drafting late 1st again, then trade down if we can get extra #2 or #3 in this year (this assumes that a starter at G, C, or LB is not available).

Guard, Center, LineBacker are our weakest points. RBBC is here to stay because of the salary cap and offensive philosophy.

Chiefnj
09-22-2000, 10:31 AM
1st round: best available athlete at HB, QB or DE.

2nd round: best available athlete at HB, QB, or DE whoever wasn't taken in the first at that position.

3rd round: best kicker.

Carl is good/great at finding late round DB's so I wouldn't pick one in the first round.

milkman
09-23-2000, 08:48 AM
The positions I think the Chiefs need to target are, in no particular order, QB, RB, OT, DL, CB. Take the best athlete available at those positions when the picks come up.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>

TEX
09-23-2000, 12:52 PM
I'd make RB a priority. I'm through with the RBBC thing. Get a legit featured back and Grbac also improves. Shoot. I bet it would even make Raye look good!

Oxford
10-17-2000, 09:52 AM
Had to bring this one from the depths. After watching the Raider debacle, what say ye about the draft next year? I think we are weak at OLB, OG and of course RB.
Assume that we build through the draft (NO-NO-NO to Corey Dillon), and there will be no franchise RB out there at our draft position. What now............

TEX
10-17-2000, 10:05 AM
I'd still go RB round 1 followed by DT, OG, CB. I'd also draft a PK later.

nmt1
10-17-2000, 10:30 AM
What I think we will do: Draft an OT. Carl's got a hard on to move Victor Reily inside and we can't go two years straight w/out drafting one in the first round.

What I think we should do: Draft RB in the first round. We would probably be able to get Lamont Jordan from Maryland in the first or second round. Also, we could probably pickup Antoine Womack of Virginia in the later rounds. Wouldn't mind seeing us draft an inside OL in the middle rounds of the draft.

[This message has been edited by nmt1 (edited 10-17-2000).]

Tribal Warfare
10-17-2000, 10:36 AM
Chiefs should draft these RBs in the 1st round I say get A Lamont Jordan- plays like bigger Emmitt Smith but with better acceration, Travis Henry- Stephen Davis Clone, James Jackson- Ricky Watters clone, or Rudi Johnson- plays like quicker Jerome Bettis with better acceleration.
Come on Carl pick on these guys!!!!!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 10-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 10-17-2000).]

Gaz
10-17-2000, 10:46 AM
It is too soon to know if our rookie CBs will pan out, but just for fun…

1. RB. No contest. This is the huge hole in our Offense. We have a very good WR corps, a great TE, a great FB and a QB who seems to be coming into his own. We need a featured HB.
2. DE. Speed to crush them QBs. 'nuff said.
3. LB. We need speed in our LB corps. I am very happy with Edwards and Patton and I love Maslowski's 'tude [and isn't that the prototypical LB name?], but we lack pure speed. If we do not re-sign Shields and Grunhard, this moves to the #4 position.
4. CB. If we are going to play Chiefs Defense, we need man coverage CBs. This assumes that Warfield does not develop the mental 'tude that both he and Hasty say he lacks.
5. ORT. I agree with moving Riley to OLG. That would give us Riley and Blackshear. Acceptable. It would be a real treat if Alford lives up to his press and takes over the ORT position. In that case, this need evaporates and depth can be achieved via FA. I am assuming that we re-sign Shields and Grunhard. If not, this moves immediately to #3 position.

xoxo~
gaz
premature, but enjoying the speculation.<BR>

Cannibal
10-17-2000, 11:14 AM
1st - RB plain and simple. Trade up if you have to Carl.

2nd - Center

3rd - CB

4th - CB

5th - LB

6th - DE

7th - DT

Carl is good at drafting D in the later rounds so drafting a corner in the first makes very little sense to me. We need a RB first and a run blocking Center a very close second. Grunny will retire soon and because Carl can draft D late, he should use the second round pick on a Center IMO.

WisChief
10-17-2000, 11:14 AM
Knowing that Sly is playing makes me think that a 1st round RB would indeed kill the committee. But how do we know that? Would this guy join the group or would he really get the 20-25 carries needed to be productive. It's been asked before - but if Edge would have came here and Cloud would have gone to Indy would the situation be the same? Give one of the guys the ball, I don't give a crap who and let's see if we need to draft a RB. Man oh man this Committe sucks!!!

Wade

------------------
if I have to listen to one more Packer fan blame it on injuries I'm gonna scream!!!

WisChief
10-17-2000, 11:16 AM
when will that lurker tag go away?

Wade

------------------
if I have to listen to one more Packer fan blame it on injuries I'm gonna scream!!!

Cannibal
10-17-2000, 11:18 AM
Moving Riley to RG is a mistake IMO.

He has played extremely well at the RT position this year. He has basically dominated everyone he's lined up against this year. I think he's finally come into his own at his position.

I prefer Riley to stay at RT as much as everyone else wants TRich to stay at FB.

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 10-17-2000).]

KCTitus
10-17-2000, 11:19 AM
in 16 more posts. - 30 posts to become a regular

ct
10-17-2000, 11:51 AM
I didn't read through the entire thread, so if someone has already mentioned it, I'm not trying to steal your thunder.

Like it or not folks, KC WILL draft an OLineman round 1. Center, and OG are HUGE needs for this team RIGHT NOW!! Judging from the accounts in the war room article, CP sees OT as a huge need as well.

We drafted 3 DBacks last year, 2 RBs, a 1st round WR, and yes, Elvis will be with us for quite a while. LBs are solid, DLine is also a big need, but as bad as our running game is right now, we all know CP will look OLine before RB.

Sorry to rain on y'alls parade, but I'm simply preparing myself for the inevitable.

------------------
ct
[b]Give TRich the Ball!!!</B>

htismaqe
10-17-2000, 02:21 PM
Cannibal,

The reason it took 2 years for Riley to "come into his own" at tackle is because he's a natural GUARD. You think he dominates now? Move him back inside and he'll be a TRUE force. If we had another tackle on this roster, he could replace Szott today.

------------------
Parker
[b]ChiefsPlanet Administrator</B>

Tribal Warfare
10-17-2000, 03:20 PM
Why?? cort their's plenty of good FA OL and the Chiefs will convert Riley to OG and Darnell Alford will be placed at RT. Bingo troubles are solved there!!!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/cool.gif

Peterson draft a premiere RB (Lamont Jordan, Travis Henry, James Jackson,or Rudi Johnson) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Tribal Warfare
10-17-2000, 03:24 PM
No it wouldn't Cannibal the Chiefs need all their best players if that includes moving Riley to OG(which would be easier for him) than do it!!! put Alford at RT .

Peterson draft a premiere RB (Lamont Jordan, Travis Henry, James Jackson,or Rudi Johnson) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif