PDA

View Full Version : What to do... What to do...

Hoover
02-03-2006, 02:40 PM
OK, I'm in a wierd situation with my business

So business is great, I'm having a hell of a year. I've worked hard for the past 4 years to set all of this up. The down side is my business is all about me, its nothing I could ever sell, if I don't work the business doesn't make a dime (insert jokes here). I'm a political fundraiser, I'm the only one in my state that does what I do as a business. There are other people who raise money, but none have the ability to handel multiple clients at the same time.

I work 7 days a week, at night, its all the time. Heck during the State of the Union Address I'm sitting on my lap top looking every 5 minutes at my clients opponents FEC reports to see how I stack up.

I'm young and the work doesn't bother me at all, but my wife and I want to start a family, and now that she is out of law school, I've been looking for a way to work a normal 40 hours a week so I can be with the kids when we have them. I am committed to working the entire 2006 campaign, but after this November I'm thinking about changing careers.

I've been thinking about buying some rental properties commercial office space and residential. I thought that way I could work from home and when I wanted. Last night however someone made me an off that would run through 2008, basicially I would run a political action committee, I could keep everything as is for the rest of this year, but in 2007 I'd be traveling all over the state.

So my question is do I just stay the course, and see what happens in November, and find something that requires less of my time, or do I cash in for 2006, keep traveling in 2007 but shut down the office, or go with my Property Management Company and I can be as busy as I want to be?

Bugeater
02-03-2006, 02:45 PM
I've never heard of anybody laying on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time working.

jspchief
02-03-2006, 02:49 PM
First off, I suggest talking to your wife about it instead of a BB.

If you're serious about having kids, you continuing to put in the hours you do could put a real strain on your marriage. Having kids is a team effort for most families.

The flipside is if continuing to put in the long hours will lead to early retirement and the ability to enjoy life in your later years.

Donger
02-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Kids are overrated. They are noisy, smelly, and expensive.

Hoover
02-03-2006, 02:56 PM

If you're serious about having kids, you continuing to put in the hours you do could put a real strain on your marriage. Having kids is a team effort for most families.

The flipside is if continuing to put in the long hours will lead to early retirement and the ability to enjoy life in your later years.
I'm planning on talking to her about this tonight.

If I took the PAC job I would make a lot of money for the rest of this year with little extra work load. Thats very tempting, but both of us have always talked about me cutting my hours after 2006. the thought is I only take on one client and work from home, or take a job thats allows me to work 40 hours a week. I have a hard time telling her I want to say hell with everything and want to work through 2008.

I think I'll talk to her, but I feel I should tell this PAC its a no go.

SLAG
02-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Sell Rocks

Hoover
02-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Actually I told my wife that I want to run for the State House of Representatives in 2008. You make about 30K a year and work January - April. Home with the kids all summer and Caoch Football in the fall. Thats The type of like I'm talking about!

Donger
02-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Actually I told my wife that I want to run for the State House of Representatives in 2008. You make about 30K a year and work January - April. Home with the kids all summer and Caoch Football in the fall. Thats The type of like I'm talking about!

Why on Earth would you want to spend all summer with the little monsters?

Hoover
02-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Why on Earth would you want to spend all summer with the little monsters?
If they are my little Monsters I will like them.

We have agreed if I stay home I'm joining the Country Club so I can Golf all the effin time.

Donger
02-03-2006, 03:20 PM
If they are my little Monsters I will like them.

ROFL

Amnorix
02-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Apparently, you are an effective Republican fund-raiser. Since I'm a Democrat, the advise is very simple -- you should retire from this ridiculously hectic lifestyle as soon as possible. Your wife won't be young forever, and you're asking her to put your whole family on hold while you selfishly put your own career ahead of her and your young family.

:p

sedated
02-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Kids are overrated. They are noisy, smelly, and expensive.

nothing but little burdens on society.

sedated
02-03-2006, 03:27 PM

why would her opinion matter?

she'd probably just complicate things, then start crying

Hoover
02-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Apparently, you are an effective Republican fund-raiser. Since I'm a Democrat, the advise is very simple -- you should retire from this ridiculously hectic lifestyle as soon as possible. Your wife won't be young forever, and you're asking her to put your whole family on hold while you selfishly put your own career ahead of her and your young family.

:p
I'm good at what I do because I care about my clients.

I'm sure Republicans will be able to continue without me, pluse I only have 10 clients.

Extra Point
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Hoover, sounds like you're in the groove enough with what you have. Play it another year, networking among field of clients. Chances are you'll see more opportunity and higher pay.

Gestation is 9 months. First, figure out what your wife wants to do in her career. You might make a good stay-at-home Dad, trim your client base down, and still pull in the beans to help make it happen.

Hoover
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Hoover, sounds like you're in the groove enough with what you have. Play it another year, networking among field of clients. Chances are you'll see more opportunity and higher pay.

Gestation is 9 months. First, figure out what your wife wants to do in her career. You might make a good stay-at-home Dad, trim your client base down, and still pull in the beans to help make it happen.
Thanks EP. My wife is an attorney and she has landed a nice job.

KC Kings
02-03-2006, 04:01 PM
I've never heard of anybody laying on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time working.
Then you've never talked to a homeless guying freezing to death on a park bench.

trndobrd
02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Hoover, you are incorrect in your assumption that you are the only one who can do what you do. There are other people out there who can do the same thing. Hire them. Put them to work for you. Everything in political consulting and/or fundraising is about reputation. It sounds like now is the time to start cashing in on that reputation. Find two hard working young political hacks and use the 06 cycle to get them trained up. You are the one with the relationships, so you will still have to make the "big" calls (well, the candidate should really be doing that but none ever want to), but your employees can start out by setting up fundraising events, coordinating with your candidate's schedulers, working with the party ED, dealing with small fry lobbyists, opposition research, etc. You would still be "the man", but there is no reason you should be reviewing FEC filings yourself. Yes, it would cost $35k or so to bring someone onboard, but it would also enable you to bring in more clients and thus, more money. Life is better with minions at your command.

Rain Man
02-03-2006, 05:01 PM
nothing but little burdens on society.

With an average mental age of 9.

Bugeater
02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Then you've never talked to a homeless guying freezing to death on a park bench.

ROFL Well, you just shot that point to shit.

mike_b_284
02-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Sell Rocks

:shake:

You can't say "sell rocks" you have to say "sell crack-cocaine" or "slang rocks"

Duh

Skip Towne
02-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Hoover, you are incorrect in your assumption that you are the only one who can do what you do. There are other people out there who can do the same thing. Hire them. Put them to work for you. Everything in political consulting and/or fundraising is about reputation. It sounds like now is the time to start cashing in on that reputation. Find two hard working young political hacks and use the 06 cycle to get them trained up. You are the one with the relationships, so you will still have to make the "big" calls (well, the candidate should really be doing that but none ever want to), but your employees can start out by setting up fundraising events, coordinating with your candidate's schedulers, working with the party ED, dealing with small fry lobbyists, opposition research, etc. You would still be "the man", but there is no reason you should be reviewing FEC filings yourself. Yes, it would cost $35k or so to bring someone onboard, but it would also enable you to bring in more clients and thus, more money. Life is better with minions at your command.
So that's why Phobia always has minions hanging around.

Skip Towne
02-03-2006, 05:52 PM
And he doesn't even pay them! Phobia's slick.
Yes, yes he is. Ballsy too. Did you know about him using Willie Lanier's bust for a hatrack? And telling Willie about it?

Hoover
02-03-2006, 06:51 PM
You make some really good points, but its hard to find people with the work ethic I'm looking for. I've tried paying good money for young political talent. I need people who are willing to work til a project is finished, not when its 5 p.m. I need people who are willing to work Nights, Weekends when there are big event. thats how I set up the business, but it failed. I fired all my hacks, and went after local people who were willing to work the phones. Now I got great people to make calls, and when its 5 pm they go home and thats fine with me.

For example if I had a hack this is what his week would have needed to be like this week.

Monday 9 to 5 p.m (If everything is ready for the next day)
tuesday On the road at 7am to be at the State capitol by 8:30. Spend all day meeting with Legislators and Lobbyists, leave the capitol at 4:30 or 5, drive home.
Wednesday 9 to 5 p.m (If everything is ready for the next day)
Thursday 9 to 5 p.m (If everything is ready for the next day)
Friday Regular day but there is a huge event tomorrow night, everything has to be ready for the event, you stay til its ready.
Saturday, Event from 6-9 p.m. need to be there at 5 p.m.

Nobody ever wants to take ownership in a project. And its not about the money, I've paid good bucks in the past. Maybe I just have not found the right person, but its hard enough finding a person who can just make phone calls.

Rain Man
02-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I agree with Hoover about finding good employees. It's really hard to find people who think about careers and are willing to invest the time and effort to succeed. It's a rare person in my biz who's going to stay late to write a proposal because they understand that there's a link between winning proposals, company profitability, and their own career path. But that's what it takes. It's a bit frustrating to spend a lot of money getting someone trained only to see them leave for "an easy job" (their words, not mine) at a big company or the government.

sedated
02-03-2006, 07:20 PM
:shake:

You can't say "sell rocks" you have to say "sell crack-cocaine" or "slang rocks"

Duh

I thought he meant pet rocks

alanm
02-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Term limits and not actually getting elected could put a real crimp in those plans. :)

Hoover
02-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I agree with Hoover about finding good employees. It's really hard to find people who think about careers and are willing to invest the time and effort to succeed. It's a rare person in my biz who's going to stay late to write a proposal because they understand that there's a link between winning proposals, company profitability, and their own career path. But that's what it takes. It's a bit frustrating to spend a lot of money getting someone trained only to see them leave for "an easy job" (their words, not mine) at a big company or the government.
I think its crazy that in Iowa the best paing jobs are in state and local government....

All young political hacks want is enough money to drink, smoke, and have a nice car.

Hoover
02-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Term limits and not actually getting elected could put a real crimp in those plans. :)
There are no term limits in Iowa, and If I can't get elected I have bigger issues to deal with.

trndobrd
02-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I think its crazy that in Iowa the best paing jobs are in state and local government....

All young political hacks want is enough money to drink, smoke, and have a nice car.

The difference between your line of work, and Kevin's is that not many people are ideologically committed to developing proposals. Maybe my selection of the term "hack" was misleading. Committed people are out there. We are working on getting a YR club started in Iowa, that would normally be a good option (PM me if you have any ideas on that). Take a look at successful campaigns and ask around. If someone has been a good campaign manager for a house or senate race, or has been a player on a statewide race, they are probably focused enough to work the fundraising side. Ask the local party folks who are the real activists. The nice thing is that you can hire people that have a proven track record. It sounds like your plan to hire some people wasn't necessarily bad, just premature. You may have tried to hire some kids who hadn't really ever gone through the wringer of a major campaign. Is the person you need going to cost more, probably. Are they going to get the job done, and maybe have some of their own contacts and fundraising ideas, probably.