PDA

View Full Version : Brad2K - I met someone interesting tonight

KCWolfman
10-23-2000, 08:19 PM
Brad,

I went to my daughters school counselling session and met her social studies teacher. He was a scout for the Broncos for many years. He was actually instrumental in picking Davis and wanted him 2 rounds earlier. He was fired from the Broncs when he pushed for a WR in the draft 2 years ago. He stated that management (he wouldnt mention names) said that this receiver would never make it in the NFL and his life was too full of problems to focus on football. When he pushed the issue he was fired.

The receiver - Randy Moss.

No moral or "your team screwed up" or anything like that on this thread. It was merely an anecdote I got this evening that I thought you would appreciate.

The teacher seems pretty cool and actually has a great many good things to say about the Denver fans. Obviously he is a little bitter about the firing with management.... Oh, BTW he showed me his 2 of his rings from prior AFC Championships.

gh4chiefs
10-23-2000, 08:29 PM
Sounds like we need hire this guy.

------------------
Gary

KCWolfman
10-23-2000, 08:42 PM
Gary - I agree; however, your politically correct whiners would run him out here as well.... After all, a football player is not allowed to make a mistake 6 or 7 years ago in his youth without someone throwing it in your face.

Mile High Mania
10-24-2000, 08:42 AM
Russ, that's pretty cool. When I first read your topic title, I thought "holy crap... who could we possibly both know?"

Several teams walked on Moss, but I get your point. Ah well.

Spott
10-24-2000, 08:55 AM
Wouldn't Denver have had to trade up to get Moss in the 98 draft?

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Mile High Mania
10-24-2000, 09:00 AM
I don't recall...

Spott
10-24-2000, 09:02 AM
Was 98 the year they drafted Al Wilson as their 1st rounder as the last pick in the 1st round?

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Spott
10-24-2000, 09:04 AM
Nevermind, that was 99. Marcus Nash was in 98. Did he go before Moss?

KCTitus
10-24-2000, 09:05 AM
no, Den had the last pick in the 1st...they won the SB.

They would have had to move up before the 21st pick to get Moss. Probably few takers.

Cormac
10-24-2000, 09:27 AM
Kevin Dyson was the only receiver taken before Moss in that draft if I recall correctly.

Mi_chief_fan
10-24-2000, 09:56 AM
I still find it hard to believe that 20 players were drafted ahead of Moss.

Donkey Drew
10-24-2000, 10:13 AM
Denver didn't have a shot at Moss without trading up.

That's interesting on Davis, though. The funny thing about him is the whole '6th round legend' thing has sort of taken a life of its own. I usually pay close attention to the draft and I remember Davis well. The book on him was that he was a sure fire 3rd round or earlier pick if not for the bad mouthing Ray Goff did about him. Thus, he didn't just come out of nowhere. Scouts knew he had tremendous vision and football sense and good cutback ability. They just didn't know if he had the right attitude or if he wasn't injury prone. Thus, he fell.

hawaiianboy
10-24-2000, 10:46 AM
I know the Raiders traded up to get a second pick in the 1st round to try and get Moss.
Minny crossed us up by taking Moss 1 pick before us... We ended up doing a KC impression and taking an O-Lineman (Mo Collins) to go along with our other draft pick Chuck Woodson.... A draft of Woodson and Moss would have been sweet.

KCWolfman
10-24-2000, 04:33 PM
Guys - I never said Moss was available when DEN picked... My daughter's teacher stated that they had an opportunity to trade up.

I just thought the guy was very interesting as an individual. He could almost make one like a den player or two - almost.