PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beating the Raiders

KCatMU
10-30-2000, 11:42 AM
After watching the Raiders this year, I see the following as keys to pounding them into the turf.

1. Cheat up with the safeties. Rich Gannon cannot deliver an accurate deep throw. The Raiders are moving the ball with short passes, and passes in the middle to Tim Brown. This will also help against Gannon's scrambling. Dare him to beat you deep. He can't do it. This will also enable us to stop the run more effectively and to stop the screen.

2. Early on, run lots of screens and draws to suck out the over-enthusiasm of the Raiders D. Make them wary.

3. Play tight bump n run coverage. This goes with #1. Gannon will not beat you deep, but he will nickell and dime you to death.

4. Don't blitz too often. Gannon has a knack for avoiding the blitz and running for 10+ yards.

Anyone have any stats on the number of completed deep passes Gannon has thrown this year?

Anyone have anything to add? Comments?

------------------
Don't think....feel.

ROYC75
10-30-2000, 12:15 PM
Here's a thought! 4 man front/man to man,with Patton keyed on Gannon!

He can't beat you going over the top,just dink and dunk passes and his leggs! Gotta apply pressure up front and stop the run! We contain the run and Gannon's run ability,we win!

Phobia
10-30-2000, 12:16 PM
I agree with everything but #4. Blitz early & blitz often. However, we must be accountable for the containment responsibility. The better we collapse the pocket, the happier Gannon's feet are. If he can't sit comfortably in the pocket early, he'll be running & ad-libbing the whole game. We all saw the kind of problems that created last night. All that said, I still think we can pressure him all night with the front four and throwing a corner/safety blitz his way from time to time.

The most important factor in this game is proper tackling technique. I don't care to remember all the recent times Wheatley has powered his way through arm tackles or bounced off a hit where the wouldbe defender failed to wrap. Kaufman is entirely to slippery to halfass tackle as well.

I highly agree with cheating the safeties short. That will get us burned once or twice but I think the payoff here is a classic case of the end justifying the means.....

TEX
10-30-2000, 12:19 PM
KCatMU,
Excellent Take! E-mail this to Gun. You know if the Chiefs can only accomplish #1 & #3 on your list we will win. Make DINK MASTER Gannon BEAT YOU WITH THE LONG PASS! Gannon will pick you apart if you give him the short pass, that's exactly what the Chiefs did last time.

Archie F. Swin
10-30-2000, 12:20 PM
A properly coached Chiefs team can beat the Raiders. The Bolts proved they(Raiders) can be contained.

I dont keep stats week to week. I've never been football coach or player. But I have been a Chiefs fan for 13 years and I know that this team may not be the most talented, but it is the most exciting and promising team I've seen in many years.

If the coaching staff convinces the team of their potential and guides them toward a winning strategy this game can be won.

if the Chiefs win ...Chiefs 6-3...Raiders7-2
if the Chiefs lose ...Chiefs 5-4...Raiders 8-1

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif***if we only had a running game*** http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
C.R. Pants
(that damn liberal)

TEX
10-30-2000, 12:22 PM
KPhobia is correct in that we SHOULD blitz Gannon, but we better time them well!

KCatMU
10-30-2000, 02:04 PM
Hasn't Gannon handled the blitz well this year?

I worry about him hitting Brown on a slant during a blitz and taking it all the way. I also worry about Gannon avoiding the blitz with his fancy feet and burning us for big yardage on the ground.

Another huge concern I have is Kaufman running around the ends. How do we stop this? I would suggest studying tendencies, and then blitzing on the ends, making sure to not let Kauffman get outside of your containment. Possibly Donnie Edwards would be the man for this type of role?

------------------
Don't think....feel.

Gaz
10-30-2000, 02:23 PM
Keys to beating the Raiders:

1. DEFENSE: Dope-slap Schottenheimer repeatedly. Promise to kneecap him if he even THINKS about calling a soft zone against the King of the dinkdunk game. Clog the line and the short zone stop the run, contain Gannon and force him to beat you with the long ball.

2. OFFENSE: Bite the bullet and admit that we are now a passing team until we revamp our OL and get a franchise HB, neither of which is going to happen until next season. For the rest of this season, for better or worse, we are Air Grbac.

3. SPECIAL TEAMS: Hope that Mike Stock misses the plane.

xoxo~
gaz
continues to fear his own coaching staff more than any opponent.<BR>

DJay23
10-30-2000, 02:25 PM
Punch em in the mouth early. Score quickly and be aggressive on D. I'm not much for X's and O's so I can't tell you who to line up and do what, very few of us really knows what will and will not work.

Anyway, get on em quick, be aggressive and intimidating, kick, fight, scratch, claw, and STAY ONSIDES!!!!!!! Once we have a two score lead or better match them score for score like we did to the Rams. If it's good enough to beat the defending Super Bowl champs, it should work against Oakland. And don't forget EXTREME INTENSITY!!!!! These are the reviled disgusting Raiders, get PUMPED! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Bring it on!!!

KCatMU
10-30-2000, 02:33 PM
Gaz...

I agree..we are a passing team now. We have two options to be able to keep the defense off balance. 1) Continue to ineffectively run the ball of the center's butt for 1 yard. or 2) Use screens, draws, and hitting the back in the flat to take away the aggressiveness of the defensive pass rush that just KNOWS you are going to throw.

I'll take #2.

That said, who is our best running back for this type of role? My vote goes to Anders.

We should ditch having a fullback and split out another wide receiver, or use another tight end, splitting Tony out in the flat while keeping the other tight end on the line.

[This message has been edited by KCatMU (edited 10-30-2000).]

Donkey Drew
10-30-2000, 02:39 PM
One sure fire method to beat the Raiders is to be the Denver Broncos.

Gaz
10-30-2000, 02:42 PM
KCat MU-

I think you've got the right idea. Our rushing attack needs a disguise. We are no longer able to pound an average HB behind an exceptional OL. That exceptional run-blocking OL is undergoing a metamorphosis into something else [an exceptional pass-blocking OL, it would appear].

Draws and screens are the right avenue to get a rushing attack going. Fortunately for Grunhard's 'rhoids, the path no longer leads up his butt. Use the pass as your main weapon and toss those passes into the flat to keep the D honest.

Yes, Anders is the proper delivery system for that particular warhead.

xoxo~
gaz
hardly dares to ask for innovation from our coaching staff.<BR>

Gaz
10-30-2000, 02:45 PM
Drew-

Sure, but then you lose to the Bengals…

xoxo~
gaz
not ready to go down that dark, bloody road.<BR>

KCatMU
10-30-2000, 02:46 PM
Oh....and don't let Grbac try to throw that flare pattern in the flat to our wide receivers. Just how many times will it be intercepted until someone gets a frieking clue?

------------------
Don't think....feel.

Donkey Drew
10-30-2000, 03:21 PM
Gaz:

Even in bad years it is gratifying to have the Raiders' number. I particularly like listening to Raider players whine, ***** , cry, and make excuses after games.

Gaz
10-30-2000, 03:56 PM
Drew-

Just like sweet, sweet music, ain't it?

xoxo~
gaz
finding common cause with the enemy of his enemy.

[This message has been edited by Gaz (edited 10-30-2000).]

Gaz
10-30-2000, 04:03 PM
Hasta, y'all.

Time to head for the ranch and some quality face time with Mrs. Gaz. It just does not get any better than this.

GO CHIEFS!

xoxo~
gaz
just a rapidly-fading memory.<BR>

milkman
10-30-2000, 07:56 PM
Like Phil (KPhobia) I agree with your keys except for #4.
I think well timed blitzes from Wesley, Woods or a corner from Gannon's blind side (Bartee at the nickel) can get to Gannon before he has an oppotunity to get away. Even if they miss initially, Gannon doesn't have the speed to elude them when they recover and come after him. May not always get a sack, but could force hurried throws and mistakes.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>

DJay23
10-30-2000, 09:53 PM
Remember all those years when throwing to Anders in the flat WAS our passing game? If we could do it then, why not do it now?

Frazod
10-30-2000, 10:48 PM
One key above all others - POUND GANNON. CRUSH GANNON. BEAT GANNON INTO THE GROUND. EARLY AND OFTEN. No let up, no mercy.

We can handle every other aspect of Oakland's game. If Gannon runs wild again, we're doomed. HE MUST BE STOPPED! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

I also completely agree with cheating up on the safeties. More bodies to CRUSH GANNON!

------------------
Frazod

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF DENISE! DEATH TO OAKLAND!

[This message has been edited by frazod (edited 10-30-2000).]

KCinNY
10-31-2000, 12:11 AM
The Bolts had success last night keeping Harrison up close in an 8 man front, most of the time. This helped contain Wheatley a little and clogged up the middle of the field for Gannons little dink and dunk passes.
Marty's brother needs to lose the 2 deep stuff this week, keep Wesley and/or Woods sniffing around the line of scrimmage.

Ugly Duck
10-31-2000, 12:20 AM
Good news for you, bad news for me. Oakland has been very lucky on the injury front. That is, until the Bolt game. At least they are still winners even with their 1st-stringers out. Check this out from the San Francisco Chronicle:

The Raiders mounted their game-winning drive with three of their front-line offensive players on the sideline, and at least one of them might be there for a while.

Coach Jon Gruden said he was "very worried" about tackle Matt Stinchcomb, who had to leave the game in the fourth quarter with a knee sprain.

"Somebody just rolled up on me," Stinchcomb said afterward. "It is pretty sore right now."

Barry Sims, who filled in at left tackle last year when Mo Collins was injured, took over last night and did a creditable job.

Running back Tyrone Wheatley had a "high ankle" injury, and fullback Jon Ritchie strained a calf muscle. Neither of those injuries is believed to be as serious as Stinchcomb's.

On the defensive side, end Lance Johnstone injured a groin muscle, and safety Johnnie Harris, who had practiced last week with a sore ankle, aggravated it Friday and was not even active for the game. <P>

Ugly Duck
10-31-2000, 12:25 AM
Good news for you, bad news for me. Oakland has been very lucky on the injury front. That is, until the Bolt game. At least they are still winners even with their 1st-stringers out. Check this out from the San Francisco Chronicle:

The Raiders mounted their game-winning drive with three of their front-line offensive players on the sideline, and at least one of them might be there for a while.

Coach Jon Gruden said he was "very worried" about tackle Matt Stinchcomb, who had to leave the game in the fourth quarter with a knee sprain.

"Somebody just rolled up on me," Stinchcomb said afterward. "It is pretty sore right now."

Barry Sims, who filled in at left tackle last year when Mo Collins was injured, took over last night and did a creditable job.

Running back Tyrone Wheatley had a "high ankle" injury, and fullback Jon Ritchie strained a calf muscle. Neither of those injuries is believed to be as serious as Stinchcomb's.

On the defensive side, end Lance Johnstone injured a groin muscle, and safety Johnnie Harris, who had practiced last week with a sore ankle, aggravated it Friday and was not even active for the game. <P>

Red Till Dead
10-31-2000, 09:35 AM
Agree with most of you on playing the Raiders man to man and cheating up Wesley in run support, and closing down those short crossing routes.

Biggest key on blitzing is coming from the "outside". Raiders are getting pretty good at picking up the middle blitz, and even when they miss it Gannon has shown the ability to side step the rush and make you pay.

On passing downs would suggest bringing the blitz from the outside on Gannons right. Either with Edwards or the corner blitz. Have our defensive end and defensive tackle pinch toward the middle. Outside blitz would force Gannon to move to his left (which he certainly can't throw deep doing) and the defensive lineman pinching in toward the middle would keep Gannon from exploiting pass rush gaps in the pocket.

If we keep Gannon moving left we will get a few of those duck passes, and certainly no pass over 15 yards long. As always could be wrong.

[This message has been edited by Red Till Dead (edited 10-31-2000).]