PDA

View Full Version : NFL TO GRIESE: PAY US $10,530

NFLMarty
10-31-2000, 08:25 AM
NFL TO HAMMER GRIESE WITH $10,530 FINE

by Marty McDonald
Posted on 10/31/2000

The future doesn't look good for Denver Broncos QB Brian Griese. The NFL will fine Griese $10,530 after a weekend arrest for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, according to the Denver Post. While Griese is losing roughly half of his weekly game check (he is scheduled to make $358,000 in base pay this season), the consequences of his actions speak volumes about how serious the NFL feels about alcohol-related law violations. Denver head coach Mike Shanahan informed reporters that Griese will be randomly tested for alcohol up to 10 times per month for the next two seasons. One violation will cost Griese four weeks of pay, or $84,235. A second violation results in a four-game suspension and a third violation will result in a one-year suspension. Griese has entered Level 2 of NFL's Substance Abuse policy, which means he has a past violation on file with the league office.

"I'm going to stand up and take it like a man," Griese said Monday.

He also admitted that he had a couple of drinks during dinner on Saturday night. What triggered the incident was that Griese was doing 80 mph in a 65 mph zone.

"I think it can happen to anybody," Shanahan said. "I think sometimes you don't use the best judgment. You go out to dinner and you have some drinks, and you make a bad decision. You think you're fine and you're not. And that's what happened with Brian. It's something that doesn't reflect good on him or the organization, but it's happened. He's quite disappointed that he made a poor judgment."

<BR>

alanm
10-31-2000, 08:34 AM
Man that's rough about the testing. Even your common everyday civillian on probation for DUI doesn't even have to test 10 time per month.

BIG_DADDY
10-31-2000, 12:54 PM
Gee, what did they do to Ray Lewis?. Maybe they should just castrate him.

58Forever
10-31-2000, 01:23 PM
No they only castrate sex offenders...so if I were Mark Chumura, I'd be wearing a cup all the time... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

drpixel
10-31-2000, 05:57 PM
Sounds like the NFL is sick of getting its reputation dragged through the mud. The guy screwed up and now he's gonna pay. Can't say I feel too sorry for him.

The only bad thing said was from Shanahan when he tried to downplay it. Better not to say anything at all. Look what a hornet's nest that issue stirred up here on this BB already. Imagine what it'll do to organizations like MADD.