PDA

View Full Version : How did Frerotte Play?

chiefsnathan
09-25-2000, 12:54 PM
Sometimes, being a fan of a team, it is hard to objectively judge its players. My Bronco fan friends are all over the board on this question, so I figured I'd get some perspective from non-Bronco fans.

waKCo
09-25-2000, 12:59 PM
He did a fine job. Up until the Chiefs D finally starting getting to him. He looked a little shakey after Wesley hit him.

waKCo
09-25-2000, 12:59 PM
He did a fine job. Up until the Chiefs D finally starting getting to him. He looked a little shakey after Wesley hit him.

Dr. Red
09-25-2000, 01:01 PM
I thought he had an excellent 1st half, but seemed to lose confidence as the game progressed. His timing was obvioisly off in the late 3rd qtr and the whole 4th qtr. It looked like some of the dropped balls effected his throwing judgement. Denver needed some spectacular QB'ing in the 2nd half of the game, and they got avg. production from an avg. QB.

All in all, I would give him a C+. He contributed to your loss, but certainly he was not the biggest factor.

DaKCMan AP
09-25-2000, 01:02 PM
Drew - I think the offense was built well for Griese not to make too many mistakes, and it seemed to work well for Gus. I thought he played well and hit most of his passes. I really wouldn't blame him for that last INT, when you get hit it is kind of hard to make even a remotly accurate pass, and he had to pass. I wouldn't be too worried yet, but we did play a real lax D yesterday which allowed for tons of short stuff. Which he took good advantage of on the quick slants. Dropped balls didn't help him much and he played better then I expected him too.

Romel
09-25-2000, 01:15 PM
He probably should have taken more chances downfield. I doubt that Easy Ed and Rod Smith were covered *that* well. On the other hand, the Denver offense is complicated and it's not really fair to blame a backup QB for not driving it well in the first real game he's in control. One thing I admire about Shanahan is that he manages his players' egos well. I bet that while Gus gets more familiar with the offense, his coach will do a great job of minimizing the negative effects of unfair fan reaction and the self-doubt that could overcome some of the players in the clubhouse.

Look at how important Shanahan has been to Griese's success. I think only a handful of NFL head coaches could have pulled that off, and I don't mean that as a knock on Griese either. It just takes a special coach to recognize talent that might not be apparent to others and to have enough credibility to keep the detractors at bay while the talent gains experience.

alanm
09-25-2000, 01:24 PM
Gus did a pretty good job. He seemed to lose his composure in the second half. That is surprising, since we did not really bring the heat on him until later in the game. The only complaint might be that he did not go deep downfield, but I suspect that might have been a coaching decision to keep the drops short. You can’t blame the INT on him because he was hit when he threw the ball. His biggest mistake was holding the ball out for grabs on the Wesley strip. He was just asking for someone to take the ball away from him.

All in all, a solid, steady performance by the backup pushed into a starting role. He sure had our DL dancing the Off Sides shuffle.

xoxo~
gaz
has little bad to say about Ferrotte.<BR>

mcnall
09-25-2000, 01:25 PM
I was fairly impressed. He and Smith were really getting on my nerves for a while. If he would like to be the Chiefs 2nd stringer next year after Moon retires I would have no objection. Considering the talent level (or lack there of) at QB these days he definitely looked better than some of the starters.

Coogs
09-25-2000, 01:30 PM
I think Gus definitely played well enough to win. Sadly for you, fortunately for us, the receivers(not just the WRs, but all players in a pass pattern) did not. Way too many dropped passes. Smith, Griffith, Carswell all dropped key completions. Denver had us on the ropes, but kept making mistakes, and we never quit.

It just doesn't matter most of the time if one team is heads above the other, when KC and Denver hook up, always a grudge match (only VERY few exceptions). The team who makes more mistakes, usually cannot overcome them.

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-25-2000, 01:37 PM
He looked better than average, IMHO. That's actually quite a compliment considering. Like Rod, I would welcome him as KC's backup at anytime in the future. That IS a very nice compliment. The blood of this game is not on his hands, IMHO. KC's defense stole it!

DoktorSmith
09-25-2000, 01:49 PM
Drew, I was surprised about how well he played...I expected him to be throwing INTs all day like the one he threw in the last couple of minutes...

He played exceptionally well. I know the Coaches put in a simpler game plan for him but that doesn't take away from his performance...he showed me that Denver can win if he has to be the QB...not against the Chiefs of course, but most teams... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

If Griese is out for an extended time, you may not score as many points with Ferrotte, but the way your D is playing you may not need too....

I'm actually saying good things about the Broncs...it is easier when we beat them... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

kcred
09-25-2000, 03:08 PM
I think the fact that the Rat simplified the playbookfor him helped him... For the most part he played well.... I would pin this loss on the offensive playcalls down the stretch.... I expected to see a steady dose of Anderson/Terrill down the stetch especially since they were running well...

redbrian
09-25-2000, 03:11 PM
Rod Smith had a huge day, but where was McCaffrey & who was covering him?

Actually, I failed to notice who was covering Smith as well. I was too sick to notice.

htismaqe
09-25-2000, 03:17 PM
Warfield was on Smith a number of times.

Bob Dole only noticed because both of them are from here...

Baby Lee
09-25-2000, 05:27 PM
Drew I was up in nose bleed section 502 yesterday down by the south bleachers. And from where I sat I thought that Gus played pretty well. Considering that Rat and Co. had the shackles on him. The game ending int was due more to the fact that he had his arm smacked delivering the ball. He's a good QB.

chiefsfan58
09-25-2000, 05:35 PM
Drew: For a guy that came in cold out of the blue, he looked darn good. It will be intresting to see what he has if the rat lets him turn it loose next game and throw a few more long down field passes.

It was easy to see he was on a short rope yesterday...........kind of reminds me of another QB wearing red up until a few games ago........