PDA

View Full Version : Printer question : Hooking up a Lexmark color

ROYC75
06-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Popped in the disc, went thru the intro, setup complete, prints perfect on my wins xp.

Problem is when I shut it down and went to reboot next morning, it locked up during the download. Stopped right on the motherboard........ reboot it, does the same thing.

If I unplug the printer lead to the pc, it rebots just fine. I can plug the printer back up, prints fine. Shuts down fine........ go to reboot, it locks up unless I have it unplugged .

Any ideas on the problem ?

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Have you tried reinstalling the driver? Could be some glitch in the driver that is interfering with the process.

listopencil
07-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Do you turn the printer off before you re-booted? Other than that, I have no idea. Lexmarks are about the cheapest things out there. You're better off buying a new Lexmark when the ink runs out instead of a new cartridge because the price for many models is the same. You could also go download the driver one version behind what you have. It may be a glitch in the newest version that hasn't been worked out yet and the previous one may be more stable.

DaFace
07-01-2006, 09:05 AM
If by "Stopped right on the motherboard" you mean that it freezes up before you get to the WindowsXP logo, then your problem isn't with a driver or any software. It's causing some sort of a hardware conflict, which can be a bitch to troubleshoot. Try plugging it into different USB ports to see if you can get it to load. If that doesn't help, you're gonna have a tough time troubleshooting this one. I'd exchange the machine for a different model.

If the problem is that it's freezing after the XP logo comes on, then yeah, reinstall the driver or get an updated version off of the web.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-01-2006, 10:29 AM
If by "Stopped right on the motherboard" you mean that it freezes up before you get to the WindowsXP logo, then your problem isn't with a driver or any software. It's causing some sort of a hardware conflict, which can be a bitch to troubleshoot. Try plugging it into different USB ports to see if you can get it to load. If that doesn't help, you're gonna have a tough time troubleshooting this one. I'd exchange the machine for a different model.

If the problem is that it's freezing after the XP logo comes on, then yeah, reinstall the driver or get an updated version off of the web.

Might want to make sure the motherboard USB drivers are all up to date as well

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Like many have said, you should try installing an updated driver.

It sounds to me like the printer is causing a problem with a Windows service that starts when Windows starts. I would especially check this if your Lexmark has an onboard memory stick/card reader.

My HP has built-in ports for reading all kinds of removable storage like SD cards and such. The driver that came on the CD caused errors in the Windows Image Acquisition service, which was causing my PC to boot up very slow.

ROYC75
07-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah, it locks up before the windows xp appears. Ask me to enter setup or cancel to escape. Problem is, it does neither.

If I unplug the printer and restart/ reset it comes up fine. Plug in the printer, it works fine.

I uninstalled it, reinstalled it........ still the same thing. Monday I'm going to call them, it has me pissed.

ROYC75
07-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Like many have said, you should try installing an updated driver.

It sounds to me like the printer is causing a problem with a Windows service that starts when Windows starts. I would especially check this if your Lexmark has an onboard memory stick/card reader.

My HP has built-in ports for reading all kinds of removable storage like SD cards and such. The driver that came on the CD caused errors in the Windows Image Acquisition service, which was causing my PC to boot up very slow.

During the download, it asked me to do so, I clicked yes and it said no new drivers available ......

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 04:33 PM
During the download, it asked me to do so, I clicked yes and it said no new drivers available ......

What model of Lexmark is it, specifically?

ROYC75
07-01-2006, 05:34 PM
What model of Lexmark is it, specifically?

4300 series ...... P 4350 Color, All In One.

htismaqe
07-03-2006, 05:29 AM
I'll do some digging around later and see what I can find.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey Roy, did you get some help? I haven't had time yet due to the 4-day holiday, but now I'm back at work. ;)

ROYC75
07-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Hey Roy, did you get some help? I haven't had time yet due to the 4-day holiday, but now I'm back at work. ;)

Nope, holiday kept me away from it. I'll try this afternoon when things slow down a bit here.

jlscorpio
07-05-2006, 09:16 AM
I'd go with Casey Printers...

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Where did you buy the printer?

I just wonder, because the model number you gave isn't even listed on Lexmark's website.

That's usually not a good sign.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 09:27 AM
OK, I found it.

Download this and run it.

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:479:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=5703&searchLang=en&searchLang=en

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Nevermind, found your answer in the Lexmark KB.

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:479:0:0&framed=&docid=ENUS23664&relevance=1

ROYC75
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
OK, I found it.

Download this and run it.

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:479:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=5703&searchLang=en&searchLang=en

OK, I done this one,it said that I already have the driver installed. It then said to run it in case of updates. I did, it found an update. It told me to restart the pc, as I was closing programs down, I got an error message...... Download failed to update due to program shutting down.

WTF ?

Closed it out and the pc rebooted ....... Don't ask me, but it works now . :shake:

ROYC75
07-05-2006, 03:34 PM
BTW, thanks for the help ! :thumb:

I was on hold for 20 mins with customer service when I checked this thread and decided to try it.

htismaqe
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
No problem.

ROYC75
07-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Unbelievable ........ the damn thing started doing it again.

I'm tossed ........ guess I will have to call them now.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-07-2006, 06:24 AM
I worked at Lexmark - for what it's worth - never buy another one again - they are terrible