PDA

View Full Version : Interesting offensive stats

WarPaint
09-25-2000, 07:09 PM
I looked up some of our offensive stats.

As most of us know, our running game sucks. It doesn't matter where we run we still average under 3.0 a carry:

Left - run 29 times for 60 yards = 2.1 avg.
Middle-run 69 times for 189 yards = 2.7 avg.
Right- run 19 times for 52 yards = 2.7 avg.

Passing, we haven't thrown a lot of long balls even though Elvis has a good completion percentage for passes between 20 and 30 yards:

Behind the LOS: 8-11 72.7%
1 - 10 yards: 27-45 60.0%
11-20 yards: 9-24 37.5%
21-30 yards: 4-8 50.0%
31-40 yards: 1-3 33.3%

I've wondered many times why we don't throw the ball past the first down marker on 3rd and long, the answer may be because we are a dismal 9-24 in that range. Perhaps we have a better shot at passing short (60% completion rate) and having yards after the reception.

Any thoughts or comments?

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-25-2000, 07:15 PM
That's part of what drives everyone NUTS. Throwing a swing pass or a 5 yard out when you need 11 for the first. Nickle & Dime packages follow the bend but don't break philosophy. If you need 15 for the first, they'll give you everything underneath but won't allow all 15 yards.... I don't like that idea unless, by some miracle, all the WR's on our team become incredible blockers overnight. IMHO, our WR corps need some serious downfield blocking work.

Kckrazy
09-25-2000, 09:46 PM
Throw it to Morris

Devin Vierth
09-26-2000, 05:32 AM
I don't like there thinking that the back can make the first guy miss and then pick up the first down. If we had an elusive back, that would be one thing, but we all know we don't.

------------------
bk

sun
09-26-2000, 08:40 AM
Chiefnj

The thought of getting the yards after the reception would be logical, except it seems that the passes that are short are thrown to someone that is double covered. This is the second most frustrating part of the offense (right behind the run game).

------------------
TWB
Less Government in 2000

shakesthecat
09-26-2000, 08:46 AM
Speaking of the running game, or lack of it, I noticed on several different games this weekend, Charlie Garner, 49ers, was one, how he keeps his head up and actually looks for holes. The Chiefs RBs, seem to run the play as designed, without any change in direction, if the hole is sealed off. I wonder if this is because their pysche is so fragile, they are afraid of p!ssing Gunter and JR off, and being benched.

sun
09-26-2000, 08:51 AM
I noticed the same thing. How many times are the backs going to run into the blockers and fall down? It there isn't a hole there, find a new one.

The Chiefs want to be a running team with average talented running backs. Why on earth would a running team choose a wide receiver in the first round? Looks like we should be a passing team.

------------------
TWB
Less Government in 2000

scooter
09-26-2000, 09:00 AM
The swing pass to Cloud was an excellent play that worked to perfection and was only called once. (RAYE!!!!)

I think the major problem with our running game is its predictability. Everyone knows that we'll run between the tackles so the LB's/DB's cheat that way. If we'd use plays to get Cloud/Moreau/Hall out in space the middle would quickly open up.