PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tackles are up to challenge

Mr. Laz
09-09-2006, 10:05 AM
BENGALS AT CHIEFS | Noon Sunday at Arrowhead

Tackles are up to challenge

Reed, Edwards have gone from out of work to starters against Cincinnati.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Even in their wildest dreams, defensive tackles James Reed and Ron Edwards never anticipated when they joined the Chiefs in the spring that they would open the season as starters.

Start? They merely wanted to make the team.

The Chiefs appeared to have Ryan Sims and Lional Dalton entrenched as starters and John Browning and Junior Siavii to back them up.

Yet when the Chiefs open Sunday against Cincinnati at Arrowhead Stadium, both Reed and Edwards will be with the starting defense. They displaced the underachieving Sims and Dalton while Browning and Siavii are gone.

It’s not exactly as coach Herm Edwards envisioned it, either.

“I imagined they’d come in and compete,” he said. “That’s what you want them to do. Those are the guys that so far have done the best job of being consistent. That doesn’t mean they’re set in stone at those positions. They’ve done everything we’ve asked them to do. They’ve been available (to practice) for the most part.”

Reed and Edwards were available to the Chiefs or any other team deep into the free-agency period. Edwards joined the Chiefs in late March, Reed in mid-May.

By then, most starting free agents had snatched up the available first-team jobs. Backups are left to scramble for leftovers.

“I know I’m a good player,” said Reed, who played the last five seasons for Herm Edwards with the Jets. “I signed late, but I didn’t let that get me down. I was thinking I wouldn’t get a job until right before (training camp) anyway, so I was happy to sign when I did.

“I don’t know why nobody else picked me up. I thought I had a good season last year. That’s in the past. I’m using that as motivation. I’m using that as a chip on my shoulder.”

What’s more, neither Edwards nor Reed has been a full-time starter. Edwards started only one of his five seasons with Buffalo. Ditto for Reed in New York.

But Edwards is a favorite of both defensive-line coach Tim Krumrie, who worked with him in Buffalo, and Herm Edwards, who coached against him with the Jets. At 315 pounds, Edwards is a huge run-stopper who could also rush the quarterback when healthy.

“I just saw this as an opportunity to play,” Ron Edwards said. “I didn’t really look to see who else they had here. I like Tim Krumrie and I like Herm Edwards and I wanted to play for them. It was all about taking care of my business.”

Reed was a favorite of Herm Edwards for his all-out effort and consistency.

“I can’t let him down,” Reed said. “I owe a lot to him. He drafted me in the seventh round when nobody else would draft me. Everybody else thought I was too short. I’ve got to play well for him.

“I’m just happy to be on the field. I was happy to be a backup. I was just happy to be picked up. I told myself if I got picked up by a team that I was going to make it hard for them to cut me.”

The presence of Sims and Dalton loomed as obstacles. Sims was once a high first-round pick for the Chiefs, though he’s underachieved. The Chiefs re-signed Dalton as a free agent last spring.

But not only did Reed and Edwards have the support of their coaches, they also arrived just at the right time, as Herm Edwards was getting his program off the ground. He was giving everyone a fresh start and promoting competition at many positions.

“I didn’t have an opinion one way or another when I took the job,” Herm Edwards said. “I just tried to start off with an even playing field and let them compete.

“When you’re a starter, you have to lose the position. Somebody has to take it from you. Unless the guy plays better than you, then you’re the starter.”

Reed and Edwards have apparently done that. If the intent was to ignite Sims and Dalton, the move appears to have worked.

Both are likely to play as backups against the Bengals, but they aren’t necessarily happy about the situation. Sims engaged in an animated discussion with Herm Edwards after a recent practice.

At issue was what Sims had to do to get his job back.

Dalton wondered whether he should have signed with the Bengals, who offered him more money than the Chiefs when he was a free agent.

“Sometimes it’s frustrating, but I can’t worry about what I can’t control,” Dalton said. “I don’t understand it, but it’s the way it is.

“I knew there was going to be competition. I see the film. I guess we’re seeing two different things. But it doesn’t matter what I think.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Adam Teicher, Chiefs reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4875 or send e-mail to ateicher@kcstar.com

Smed1065
09-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Wow from the RSS from the front page, thanks.

noa
09-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Sounds like Dalton is pissed. Hopefully, its good motivation for him to step it up.

bishop_74
09-09-2006, 10:31 AM
It makes me wonder if our DT's are so bad, other teams backups are that much better, or is this really a motivational tool?

wazu
09-09-2006, 10:55 AM
For all my bashing of Herm, I really do like this move, as well as getting rid of Siavii and Browning. Siavii was just embarrassing to have on the roster, and Browning was an enigma. He survived three head coaches while seemingly never making any plays. The only thing more beyond my comprehension was the insistence on keeping Bartee year after year.

milkman
09-09-2006, 11:17 AM
From the article:
[Lional Dalton]“I knew there was going to be competition. I see the film. I guess we’re seeing two different things. But it doesn’t matter what I think.”

I wonder which film he's been looking at?

milkman
09-09-2006, 11:20 AM
For all my bashing of Herm, I really do like this move, as well as getting rid of Siavii and Browning. Siavii was just embarrassing to have on the roster, and Browning was an enigma. He survived three head coaches while seemingly never making any plays. The only thing more beyond my comprehension was the insistence on keeping Bartee year after year.

Browning was simply a hard worker, and we didn't have anyone better to displace him.

MGRS13
09-09-2006, 11:43 AM
This tells me more about Sims and Dalton then it does about Reed and Edwards. Sort of the same deal with Black at Tackle, tells me all I need to know about Svitek.

Mr. Laz
09-09-2006, 11:49 AM
It’s not exactly as coach Herm Edwards envisioned it, either.

“I imagined they’d come in and compete,” he said. “That’s what you want them to do. Those are the guys that so far have done the best job of being consistent. That doesn’t mean they’re set in stone at those positions. They’ve done everything we’ve asked them to do. They’ve been available (to practice) for the most part.”

hardly a ringing endorsement by Edwards

milkman
This tells me more about Sims and Dalton then it does about Reed and Edwards. Sort of the same deal with Black at Tackle, tells me all I need to know about Svitek.

Do you EVER have anything positive to say, or are you just a pain in the ass whiney bitch?

CupidStunt
Perfect blend at the DT position. It'll be refreshing to see a big man/explosive undertackle in the middle instead of two no-hopers.

MGRS13
09-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Do you EVER have anything positive to say, or are you just a pain in the ass whiney bitch?
I'm a realist. Sorry jackass, do you still believe in the ****ing easter bunny too?

go bo
09-09-2006, 12:02 PM
mmmm, easter bunny...

sounds delicious...

hypersensitiveZO6
09-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I am very pleased that Dalton and Sims are pissed.

:D

Archie Bunker
09-09-2006, 12:05 PM

Because no one on the Chiefs can actually be any good.

Hydrae
09-09-2006, 12:05 PM
It may be interesting to see what Sims and Dalton do when they get their chance to get in the game. If they want to be starters, having a monster game week 1 would go a long way to showing that although they were not "available (to practice) for the most part", they are still the better players.

milkman
09-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm a realist. Sorry jackass, do you still believe in the ****ing easter bunny too?

You just don't get it.

I don't have any high expectations for the upcoming season, the Herm era, and the final years of Carl.

But to get on here and just constantly bitch and moan just makes you look like a whiney ass bitch.

My expectations and hopes are no higher than yours.

The difference is that I refuse to dwell on the negative.

The old saying "Perception is reality" is even more true on the internet.

Since I'm probably not the only one that sees you this way, it must be real.

MGRS13
09-09-2006, 12:33 PM
You just don't get it.

I don't have any high expectations for the upcoming season, the Herm era, and the final years of Carl.

But to get on here and just constantly bitch and moan just makes you look like a whiney ass bitch.

My expectations and hopes are no higher than yours.

The difference is that I refuse to dwell on the negative.

The old saying "Perception is reality" is even more true on the internet.

Since I'm probably not the only one that sees you this way, it must be real.
My favorite thing about the planet is that a few of the people that post here, yes you are one milkman, really think that other people actually care what they think. Please don't continue to waste your time telling me what you think of me or, even worse what you believe other people must think of me, because I honestly could not care one single bit less what you think.

Brock
09-09-2006, 12:44 PM
My favorite thing about the planet is that a few of the people that post here, yes you are one milkman, really think that other people actually care what they think. Please don't continue to waste your time telling me what you think of me or, even worse what you believe other people must think of me, because I honestly could not care one single bit less what you think.

You care enough to reply. LMAO

Hammock Parties
09-09-2006, 12:47 PM
My favorite thing about the planet is that a few of the people that post here, yes you are one milkman, really think that other people actually care what they think.

I care what milkman says. His opinion, more often than not, is informed.

Your opinion, on the other hand, is worthless.

JBucc
09-09-2006, 12:47 PM
My favorite thing about the planet is that a few of the people that post here, yes you are one milkman, really think that other people actually care what they think. Please don't continue to waste your time telling me what you think of me or, even worse what you believe other people must think of me, because I honestly could not care one single bit less what you think.You suck. Everyone thinks you suck. Everyone.

milkman
09-09-2006, 12:54 PM

I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one that perceives you as a whiner.

If you don't care that almost everyone, not just me sees you as a whiner, that's fine.

Just don't be surprised when someone suggests that you're tongue is Richard Simmons' favorite ass wipe.

Rain Man
09-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Even in their wildest dreams, defensive tackles James Reed and Ron Edwards never anticipated when they joined the Chiefs in the spring that they would open the season as starters.

Start? They merely wanted to make the team.

This makes me kind of sad.

If you can show up, you get the job. I'm a little more sad.

Reed and Edwards were available to the Chiefs or any other team deep into the free-agency period. Edwards joined the Chiefs in late March, Reed in mid-May.

By then, most starting free agents had snatched up the available first-team jobs. Backups are left to scramble for leftovers.

Sadness descends over me.

“I don’t know why nobody else picked me up. I thought I had a good season last year. That’s in the past. I’m using that as motivation. I’m using that as a chip on my shoulder.”

(Sigh.)

“I’m just happy to be on the field. I was happy to be a backup. I was just happy to be picked up. I told myself if I got picked up by a team that I was going to make it hard for them to cut me.”

I think I should go now.

penchief
09-09-2006, 04:02 PM

IMO, Browning get's a bad rap. Staying healthy has been his problem. And he's been constantly moved around, often being forced to play inside when his best position is DE. For nearly a decade he's been our most consistent defensive lineman when he's been healthy. If he had played along side better linemates and been allowed to stay at end instead of always being moved to where he was needed most, he would have had a more distinguished career.

That said, his career has probably wound down.

StcChief
09-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Real games Start tomarrow bring it then, everybody needs to show what they got.

Rain Man
09-09-2006, 06:06 PM
IMO, Browning get's a bad rap. Staying healthy has been his problem. And he's been constantly moved around, often being forced to play inside when his best position is DE. For nearly a decade he's been our most consistent defensive lineman when he's been healthy. If he had played along side better linemates and been allowed to stay at end instead of always being moved to where he was needed most, he would have had a more distinguished career.

That said, his career has probably wound down.

I agree. He should have been our left defensive end, which is where he started out.

milkman
09-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I agree. He should have been our left defensive end, which is where he started out.

I thought he started at RDE, before the injuries.

milkman
09-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Real games Start tomarrow bring it then, everybody needs to show what they got.

OK, I give up.

Who were you?

Mr. Laz
09-09-2006, 07:01 PM
I thought he started at RDE, before the injuries.
they just kept sticking him inside at DT