PDA

View Full Version : Chargers linebacker says shooting may end his career

the Talking Can
02-04-2007, 08:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2752655

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Five months after he was shot by an off-duty policeman, Chargers linebacker Steve Foley thinks his career may be over.

"I don't want to count anything out or rule myself out, but it's a reality that I won't be able to play again, period," Foley said by phone Friday from Miami, where he was visiting friends during Super Bowl week.

Foley declined to comment on the events of Sept. 3, when he was shot three times by off-duty Coronado policeman Aaron Mansker near his home in the San Diego suburb of Poway. Foley wouldn't comment on the civil suit he filed Wednesday against Mansker and the city of Coronado or on the drunken driving charges against him.

But, he said: "I don't feel like I did anything wrong or unlawful. I have no regrets."

Eight days before the season opener, Mansker shot Foley after following him on the freeway to Foley's home. Mansker was a rookie officer who was off-duty at the time and suspected the football player of drunken driving.

Mansker told investigators that he shot Foley after the player reached for his waistband. Investigators said Foley was unarmed.

Foley has pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence of alcohol. Police say Foley had a blood-alcohol level of 0.233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent...

...Foley, who turns 32 in September, was shot in the left leg, hip and hand, requiring several surgeries. He said he suffered severe nerve damage in his leg and lost 50 pounds, factors that could severely impact his attempt at a comeback.

Doctors told Foley it could take a year or more for the nerve damage to heal. Although he can move around on his own, he has trouble walking and performing other daily activities.

Smed1065
02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
"I don't feel like I did anything wrong or unlawful. I have no regrets."

Police say Foley had a blood-alcohol level of 0.233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent...

But did nothing? Wrong?

Maybe the bengals have a roster spot then? WTF

Hootie
02-04-2007, 09:36 AM
In all honesty, a rookie police officer probably shouldn't pull the shit this guy pulled OFF-DUTY.

chop
02-04-2007, 09:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2752655

"I don't want to count anything out or rule myself out, but it's a reality that I won't be able to play again, period," Foley said by phone Friday from Miami, where he was visiting friends during Super Bowl week.

He must have been drinking when he made this comment.

trndobrd
02-04-2007, 09:48 AM

Police say Foley had a blood-alcohol level of 0.233 percent, nearly three times California's legal limit of 0.08 percent...

But did nothing? Wrong?

Police say he had a high BAC, court will decide that. They certainly shouldn't have had any problem getting a blood sample.

RNR
02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Police say he had a high BAC, court will decide that. They certainly shouldn't have had any problem getting a blood sample.
LMAO That is so wrong it is funny!

Bowser
02-04-2007, 10:21 AM

But did nothing? Wrong?

Officer Mansker: "Uhh, dispatch, this guy is really freaking big and really freaking drunk. He says he lives here, his ID says he lives here, but I'm still not sure what to do."

Dispatch: "CAP HIS ASS!! NOW!!!"

HolmeZz
02-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I thought this was about Merriman shooting up, not Foley getting shot down.

58-4ever
02-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Lost 50 Lbs.? Sounds like we know where Merriman got the roids from.

Eleazar
02-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I was only swerving my car down the highway at three times the limit! I didn't do anything wrong!

Bugeater
02-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Eight days before the season opener, Mansker shot Foley after following him on the freeway to Foley's home. Mansker was a rookie officer who was off-duty at the time and suspected the football player of drunken driving.

Mansker told investigators that he shot Foley after the player reached for his waistband. Investigators said Foley was unarmed.
I seem to remember there being a little more to this story than this. Wasn't his girlfriend in the car revving the engine the whole time too? They weren't exactly being cooperative if memory serves me right.

whoaskew
02-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I understand that we are Chiefs fans and all that, but lets look at things from the other perspective.

Drunk or not, imagine that you and your girlfriend are driving on the freeway and you notice a car following you. This car follows you for miles and parks behind you when you get home. Keep in mind the car following you is not a police car and the guy that steps out is not in uniform.

Wouldn't you be a little uncomfortable and maybe uncooperative when the guy pulls a gun out and starts yelling at you?

RealSNR
02-04-2007, 12:57 PM
I was only swerving my car down the highway at three times the limit! I didn't do anything wrong!Really? Holy crap, that's almost exactly what this Foley guy did too. You guys should hook up sometime.

Frazod
02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
I understand that we are Chiefs fans and all that, but lets look at things from the other perspective.

Drunk or not, imagine that you and your girlfriend are driving on the freeway and you notice a car following you. This car follows you for miles and parks behind you when you get home. Keep in mind the car following you is not a police car and the guy that steps out is not in uniform.

Wouldn't you be a little uncomfortable and maybe uncooperative when the guy pulls a gun out and starts yelling at you?

That's a good point.

Bowser
02-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I was only swerving my car down the highway at three times the limit! I didn't do anything wrong!

CAP HIS ASS!!!

RealSNR
02-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Wouldn't you be a little uncomfortable and maybe uncooperative when the guy pulls a gun out and starts yelling at you?Totally agree. Couldn't the dumbass police officer just call in a unit or simply take down his license plate? Totally unnecessary what he did.

Demonpenz
02-04-2007, 01:06 PM
thank a police officier today

Bugeater
02-04-2007, 01:44 PM

What you're supposed to do in that situation is contact the police yourself, which of course you're not going to do if you're driving when you're shitfaced.

StcChief
02-04-2007, 03:15 PM
thank a police officier today
Not a chance in Hell.

Foley was wrong

The off duty cop with gun was even more wrong.
Fire him, He can work security somewhere.

We don't need aggressive gun toting cops on the street.

Extra Point
02-04-2007, 03:19 PM
No sweat. Foley will be a Raider in a couple years.

Overzealous, inexperienced cop card will be played. Case will be reduced, and then he gets to play for Uncle Al.

Bwana
02-04-2007, 03:20 PM

Hmmm :hmmm:

I never thought of it like that.........great post.

Easy 6
02-04-2007, 03:24 PM
As much as i loved giving dolt fans grief about it at the time, this cop was an idiot, he should have called a marked unit in if he wasnt in uniform...guy needs to be fired for sure. As far as carrying a weapon though, off duty cops are encouraged to pack a roscoe, they are cops on & off duty.

Foley, he's just as reckless & stupid as the cop & already had a nice little rap sheet, so he's no saint & it doesnt hurt my feelings one tiny bit that he's outta football.

2 wrongs = 2 wrongs.

Ultra Peanut
02-04-2007, 03:26 PM
thank a police officier todayWinnar. Yuo.

KcMizzou
02-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't you be a little uncomfortable and maybe uncooperative when the guy pulls a gun out and starts yelling at you?Uncomfortable, absolutely. Uncooperative? Hell no.

Phobia
02-04-2007, 03:35 PM

If dude identified himself as the po-po (which is second nature to them as I understand it) and pulled a gun.... Hey, I'd do just about whatever he wanted me to do. I might even exercise.