PDA

View Full Version : My Basement is Leaking Care to Chime In?

SLAG
03-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Here are some "Action" Photos..

the water is weeping from under the stairs and you can hear a constant of running water..

I have shut off the Main House Water and It is still coming.. You can hear the water running into the sump pump area and the sump pump seems to be working..

Is it just that its soo much rain... we have had HARD rain before but nothing has leaked.. even when we got the house inspected it had Rained real bad the night before and no water anywhere

anyway just seeing if anyone had any ideas or maybe you can offer up a prayer lol

thanks
If you want a high res pic i can give you a link or just copy the picture location and remove the "normal" tag

http://chillplace.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCF0282.JPG

http://chillplace.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCF0288.JPG

http://chillplace.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCF0285.JPG

http://chillplace.net/coppermine/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCF0283.JPG

SPchief
03-01-2007, 12:40 AM
You have a hole somewhere that water can leak in?

03-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Tell the basement to go outside to relieve itself.

boogblaster
03-01-2007, 12:42 AM
yep probably ground water getting in from somewhere

Halfcan
03-01-2007, 12:42 AM
time to move

wutamess
03-01-2007, 12:44 AM
He just moved IN.

Jenson71
03-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Don't listen to the people who are going to suggest pouring buckets of antifreeze on the floor.

wutamess
03-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Unfortunately... I'm in the same boat as you tonight.
My roof is leaking and I've been putting it off for a while now. Can't take it anymore and prolly gonna get a new roof on ASAP.

SPchief
03-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Sorry to hear that wutamess. I just moved into this house about 7 months ago, and while we have had some rain, nothing nearly as bad as tonight. I've been looking around and not one place in the house has leaked. So I'm happy about that.

Bugeater
03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
It's probably a little late for this, but always make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear of debris. Clogged and overflowing gutters can send lots of water where you don't want it.

SLAG
03-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Sorry to hear that wutamess. I just moved into this house about 7 months ago, and while we have had some rain, nothing nearly as bad as tonight. I've been looking around and not one place in the house has leaked. So I'm happy about that.

See We have had rain this hard before IMHO

and No leaks before and that makes me curious as to why now

Phobia
03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
It happens, Slag. Make sure your yard runs AWAY from the house. Sometimes it settles and creates a collection area around your foundation. When it has nowhere else to go eventually it penetrates.

03-01-2007, 01:04 AM
It happens, Slag. Make sure your yard runs AWAY from the house. Sometimes it settles and creates a collection area around your foundation. When it has nowhere else to go eventually it penetrates.
That just sounds wrong!

Bowser
03-01-2007, 01:05 AM
I had a sump pump system put in that included the trenches around the base of my walls, with vinyl coverings on the walls. If water leaked in any cracks, it would run down the back of the vinyl into the trench to the sump pump. My basement has been dry going on three years now, and I actually considered stocking my basement it was so wet.

SPchief
03-01-2007, 01:06 AM

Good point. When I first put my bid in, one thing that I had him do was to have the ground around the perimiter of the house be sloping away from the foundation before I bought it.

acesn8s
03-01-2007, 01:21 AM
My boss told me tonight that he was digging a hole in his yard and the ground was still frozen at about 10-12 inches deep. The rain may not be able to soak into the ground like it would in the spring or summer. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Joe Seahawk
03-01-2007, 01:40 AM
How deep is the basement? Would it be possible to excavate the foundation wall to the footing and then waterproof it, as well as repairing/replacing the foundation drain tile?

Thats a lot of work, but in my experience that is the only sure fire way to repair these types of issues..

If you do excevate and waterproof the foundation walls email me and I can give you some advice on what materials will work best.. I don't sell the products but my company has 20 years experience in commercial construction foundation waterproofing systems..

I'll pm you my email addy.

Phobia
03-01-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't see slag digging in the ground unless somebody buried a stolen DVD there.

03-01-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't see slag digging in the ground unless somebody buried a stolen DVD there.
Or beer.

SLAG
03-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Or beer.

Better yet..

Stolen Beer

But seriously thanks y'all for the responses

im heading to bed now

The Sound of water has mostly quieted and whats leaking is all going into a near by drain...

G'nite Planet

Thanks again everyone

FDS
03-01-2007, 01:51 AM
The slow melting snow has saturated the ground. Even a small amount of rain becomes run off. Samie Parker has a tongue like a frog.

PBJ FirstDOwnSamie PBJ

StcChief
03-01-2007, 06:19 AM
clogged Gutters??? yard slope to draining away from foundation.

Welcome to home ownership :)

Project for this summer

Bury the downspots (not just splash blocks) run them out with french tile.

plbrdude
03-01-2007, 06:43 AM
See We have had rain this hard before IMHO

and No leaks before and that makes me curious as to why now

saturated ground now. dryer ground before, allowed ground to absorb moisture. just a thought