PDA

View Full Version : WHITLOCK - Where’s Trent’s love?

Hammock Parties
05-13-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/105118.html

For Carl Peterson and the Chiefs, there’s really more at stake in the Trent Green standoff than just a first-day draft pick.

Little does the King know, or perhaps little does the King care, the Trent Green standoff may very well come to symbolize exhibit A in why the King should be dethroned.

Green — Mr. Kansas City — played by all of the King’s rules for six years. Green said the right things. Never missed a snap until a Cincinnati Bengal launched into him with a semi-illegal hit. Green invested in the community.

Trent Green, according to Peterson, was family. Peterson allegedly had so much respect for his quarterback that he threw an inappropriate, anti-media tantrum when Green and Todd Collins got involved in a teeny bit of controversy at training camp.

Given all of the alleged love, it seems strange that Green is sitting in his Kansas City home brooding because the King won’t trade him to Miami for a second-day draft pick.

Green, it seems, fell for Peterson’s pickup lines.

And now Green is upset because Snoop Doggy Peterson don’t love these QBs.

Well, above all else, Peterson is a businessman. This Green affair proves it beyond a reasonable doubt. At some point, owner Clark Hunt is going to have to come to grips with the fact that you can’t field a consistent playoff team or Super Bowl contender with a hardcore businessman setting the tone for the organization.

You have to love the game more than you love the deal.

I am not suggesting that Peterson doesn’t love the game and many of his Chiefs players. He does. He just loves the business end of it more. The bottom line is easier to control and manipulate than Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Trent Green, Willie Roaf, Marty Schottenheimer or any player/coach.

In Peterson’s mind, squeezing a third-round draft pick out of a 36-year-old quarterback is worth more effort than building the kind of relationship that might have resulted in Roaf playing one more year than he desired.

Love is infectious. Love is necessary, even in the NFL. You can’t win big without it. When the game is reduced strictly to business, when the players believe there’s an absence of love, the team lacks passion and emotion.

Love can overrule good business sense. If Peterson loved Green the way he pretended to, he would’ve already cut a deal with the Dolphins for a fifth-round pick (the Dolphins have been offering a sixth). Steve McNair, a former league MVP and Super Bowl participant, was traded at age 33 to the Ravens for a fourth-round pick. Green is older and less accomplished than McNair, and Green is coming off severe head trauma and a terrible playoff performance.

Honestly, I’m just glad Cam Cameron and the Dolphins are willing to offer something for Green. Heck, I’d take an autographed bong from Ricky Williams for Green, and I don’t even smoke.

Not only does the Green standoff reflect poorly on Peterson’s relationship with Green, it also reflects poorly on Peterson’s business savvy.

In order to gain leverage over the Dolphins, Peterson, Denny Thum and Herm Edwards have spent the past two weeks trying to convince Green they want him back here as quarterback.

This is a terribly timed reversal. Edwards and Peterson undermined Green’s trade value at the beginning of the offseason by letting everyone know the Chiefs wanted Brodie Croyle on the field and re-signing Damon Huard.

With Green’s contract and the team’s stated direction, there was little reason for any team to trade for Green when it was obvious the Chiefs didn’t want him. Peterson told Green and his agent Jim Steiner to find a team willing to take on Green. They did that.

The time to act like the Chiefs were committed to keeping Green was in February and March. Maybe then the Dolphins would’ve attempted to pry Green away from Kansas City with a third- or fourth-round pick.

Working out a reasonable deal with the Dolphins and letting Green scoot to Miami as soon as possible makes the most sense for Peterson and the Chiefs. Let Green feel a little love and maybe some of the other players not named Tony Gonzalez will believe it’s possible for them to be loved in Kansas City.

siberian khatru
05-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Without rehashing all the "Keep Trent/Trade or cut Trent" arguments from multiple threads, I only ask this:

Is Jason the only one who's reported that Carl is still demanding a first-day pick? I thought all the reports had him coming down to a 4. Would that change Jason's opinion at all?

DeezNutz
05-13-2007, 11:50 AM
And now Green is upset because Snoop Doggy Peterson don’t love these QBs.

Gutsy little line there, little hypocritical, too. What happened to all of the post-Imus talk? When it's convenient you'll quote from what you've denounced?

blueballs
05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
in the interest of not starting another thread
-damn peer pressure
Carl suggested Chambers be apart of Green trade

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=196446

Miami Herald

CHATTER

• The Kansas City Chiefs have such an inflated opinion of Trent Green's value that they even raised Chris Chambers' name in trade talks. The Dolphins, obviously, wouldn't do that.

FloridaMan88
05-13-2007, 01:26 PM
The running joke that is Carl Peterson has reached South Florida, with local sports talk radio trashing him earlier today.

Yet there are still people on this board willing to stand up and defend or at least stand by Carl Peterson and his pathetic fraud of a head coach.

Why?

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 01:47 PM
The running joke that is Carl Peterson has reached South Florida, with local sports talk radio trashing him earlier today.

Yet there are still people on this board willing to stand up and defend or at least stand by Carl Peterson and his pathetic fraud of a head coach.

Why?

Congratulations on your graduation son, you represent the highest ideals of...and bring honor to...

...SPACE CADET ACADEMY.

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 02:26 PM
in the interest of not starting another thread
-damn peer pressure
Carl suggested Chambers be apart of Green trade

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=196446

Miami Herald

CHATTER

• The Kansas City Chiefs have such an inflated opinion of Trent Green's value that they even raised Chris Chambers' name in trade talks. The Dolphins, obviously, wouldn't do that.Or, just maybe...

We offered Green + pick(s) for Chambers.

It's amazing how obtuse some of the media can be.

BigRock
05-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Why?
If only we had Vermeil back! Then Trent would be the quarterback FOREVER!

keg in kc
05-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Hmm.

Apparently I have KCChiefsdouche88 on ignore.

Skip Towne
05-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Hmm.

Apparently I have KCChiefsdouche88 on ignore.
You'll miss some good comedy.

Easy 6
05-13-2007, 02:51 PM
But to answer Jasons question, Trents love should still be in his bank account.

He had a fantastic run here & was well compensated for it. Carl is playing prisonball because thats apparently the only kind Mueller wants to play.

I still wish Trent luck & if he ends up in Miami...he's gonna need it.

T-post Tom
05-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Interesting timing on this article. Funny how JW doesn't interject his opinion on the Green scenario until the battle lines have been firmly drawn between the Chiefs and Dolphins.

Just a guess here, but somehow I suspect that Whitlock would have been the first to lambast Peterson had the Chiefs traded Green away for a 5th round pick.

chop
05-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Miami Herald

CHATTER

• The Kansas City Chiefs have such an inflated opinion of Trent Green's value that they even raised Chris Chambers' name in trade talks. The Dolphins, obviously, wouldn't do that.

Chambers isn't all that. He has had just one sesaon where he gained over 1,000 yards receiving. He came close another year but for a #1 receiver that isn't all that great. He is a decent receiver but not a great receiver.

trndobrd
05-13-2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/105118.html

In Peterson’s mind, squeezing a third-round draft pick out of a 36-year-old quarterback is worth more effort than building the kind of relationship that might have resulted in Roaf playing one more year than he desired.

Roaf did play one more season than he really wanted to....last season.

Red Dawg
05-13-2007, 05:07 PM
This is fATLOCK BULLSHIT. If Miami wanted him then they should have gave us the fourth. FUGG"EM and FUGG Trent fior bashing us. We gave up a number one for his azz and resurrected his career from nothing. HE SHOULD BE GIVING US LOVE! I will not feel bad for somemone we have given over 10 mil too.

Logical
05-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Good article by Whitlock. He nails it.

Reerun_KC
05-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Great article by JW... He is spot on with Carl...

:bravo:

Logical
05-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Roaf did play one more season than he really wanted to....last season.

That would be Shields, Roaf did not play last season.

the Talking Can
05-13-2007, 05:18 PM
I too am angry that Carl had the audacity to negotiate and lower his price....if he had been stubborn and refused to negotiate I am sure Whitlock would have written and article praising him for being stubborn like Miami.

Really.

I'm sure he would.

I think.

Probably.

Maybe.

Not.

wockenbauss
05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Chambers isn't all that. He has had just one sesaon where he gained over 1,000 yards receiving. He came close another year but for a #1 receiver that isn't all that great. He is a decent receiver but not a great receiver.

Considering Chris Chambers has had such luminaries as Jay Fiedler, Ray Lucas, A.J. Feeley, Gus Frerotte (Chambers 1000 yard season), an injured Daunte Culpepper (for 4 games), and Joey "sunshine" Harrington throwing him the ball... maybe Miami would like to see what he could do with a real QB before trading him off to the first offer of an Igloo sideline cooler and whatever pocket change Carl Peterson carries on Mondays.

Just my opinion.

Alphaman
05-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Where's Trent's Love? Trent's love is in the 1st round pick the Chiefs traded to get him. Trent's love is in the loyalty and support shown to him when he was in the top 5 in most interceptions and Jason Whitlock named him TrINT, while other local media questioned whether or not the Chiefs needed a new QB. Trent's love is in the tens of millions of dollars paid to him over the past 6 years. Trent's love is in the talent signed and placed around him: 2 probowl RBs were resigned or drafted to new contracts in his tenure, a probowl TE was resigned, the best O-Line in the NFL was assembled (4 of those 5 we acquired during Green's tenure). The Chiefs have shown PLENTY of love to Trent.

Carl owes it the other 52 players, the coaching staff, the administrative staff and the fans to do what's best for the Chiefs. That means either getting the best possible pick for Trent or releasing him at a time where it doesn't help a conference foe potentially make the playoffs.

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 08:27 AM

Why?

You'll find very few people here that actually LIKE Carl.

Most of those people are lining up to ATTACK you and people like you. You're just so blind that you confuse it with defending Carl.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 08:35 AM
You'll find very few people here that actually LIKE Carl.

Most of those people are lining up to ATTACK you and people like you. You're just so blind that you confuse it with defending Carl.

You worship the ground Carl pisses on.. Admit it htismaqe, come on, we know you do....

Your also pissed at him because he despises your joke of a coach and laughs at him ever chance he gets, Which is quite often...

Chiefnj
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm beginning to wonder why people are Chiefs fans at all.

Fans seem to turn on the star players quickly - Holmes, Gonzo, Allen, LJ, Green, etc. If you don't like the players, and you don't really care for Peterson and management - why are people still Chiefs fans? What is it that people relate to? The uniform and emblem? Tradition for the hell of it?

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
You worship the ground Carl pisses on.. Admit it htismaqe, come on, we know you do....

Your also pissed at him because he despises your joke of a coach and laughs at him ever chance he gets, Which is quite often...

ROFL

Blind AND clueless.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Fans seem to turn on the star players quickly - Holmes, Gonzo, Allen, LJ, Green, etc. If you don't like the players, and you don't really care for Peterson and management - why are people still Chiefs fans? What is it that people relate to? The uniform and emblem? Tradition for the hell of it?

Love the team, history, players, gameday, rooting for the team I grew up with through the good times and the bad times...

Never liked Carl, Marty or Herm.. They are not assocaited with winning when it counts... Never have been and never will be...

Always like the players even the ones that leave... Why? Because the are leaving for one reason, to win a championship... Eventially players like Neil Smith see the writing on the wall and know that CARL never will have what it takes to lead this franchise to a superbowl...

But for me? I will watch, because Chiefs football is all I have ever watched.. More of a tradition with the family than anything...

But KU basketball will Trump the Chiefs anyday of the week.

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 08:49 AM

I've thought the same thing since about the time this board came into being.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 08:50 AM
ROFL

Blind AND clueless.

ROFL

Loyal and Clueless.

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 08:52 AM
ROFL

Loyal and Clueless.

TOTALLY clueless at that.

I'm in NO WAY loyal to Carl Peterson or the coaches. I've been HIGHLY critical of Carl on message boards for over 10 years.

It's not surprising that you're not able to comprehend that.

To you the world is completely black and white.

StcChief
05-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Love the team, history, players, gameday, rooting for the team I grew up with through the good times and the bad times...

Never liked Carl, Marty or Herm.. They are not assocaited with winning when it counts... Never have been and never will be...

Always like the players even the ones that leave... Why? Because the are leaving for one reason, to win a championship... Eventially players like Neil Smith see the writing on the wall and know that CARL never will have what it takes to lead this franchise to a superbowl...

But for me? I will watch, because Chiefs football is all I have ever watched.. More of a tradition with the family than anything...

But KU basketball will Trump the Chiefs anyday of the week.

And they have the same amount of Choking ability.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
TOTALLY clueless at that.

I'm in NO WAY loyal to Carl Peterson or the Chiefs.

It's not surprising that you're not able to comprehend that.

I am, I am just ruffling the old mans feathers today...

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 08:56 AM

YEP at least the have the ability to lose something that you can call a choke....

Maybe someday MU and KSU can come out and play with the big boys or actually make a tourney that counts?

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 09:02 AM
YEP at least the have the ability to lose something that you can call a choke....

Maybe someday MU and KSU can come out and play with the big boys or actually make a tourney that counts?

Whoa there.

That's a double-standard.

The Chiefs get railed on daily because they make the playoffs but can't win.

Yet the Jayhawks get a pass on the VERY SAME THING?

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Whoa there.

That's a double-standard.

The Chiefs get railed on daily because they make the playoffs but can't win.

Yet the Jayhawks get a pass on the VERY SAME THING?

18-20 year old kids vs. so called Adults?

Hum, yeah I see what you mean... Kind of like my sons baseball team losing in the tourney last weekend vs the Chiefs (Grown Men) getting embarrased by the Colts on National TV....

Your right not much of a difference at all...

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 09:23 AM
18-20 year old kids vs. so called Adults?

Hum, yeah I see what you mean... Kind of like my sons baseball team losing in the tourney last weekend vs the Chiefs (Grown Men) getting embarrased by the Colts on National TV....

Your right not much of a difference at all...

This is the part where you, the Carl basher, tells me, the person who "worships the ground Carl pisses on" that all I'm doing is spinning and making excuses.

Another double-standard. :shake:

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
This is the part where you, the Carl basher, tells me, the person who "worships the ground Carl pisses on" that all I'm doing is spinning and making excuses.

Another double-standard. :shake:

Its alright big guy....

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Its alright big guy....

Apparently it is alright for you.

Most people don't like to admit they harbor so many double-standards, though.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
ROFL....

Have plenty of them... Who doesnt? Especially on a message board...

This is message board not the bible...

Spicy McHaggis
05-15-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah but at least they've made the championship game in the past decade before losing.

Aw, I just made myself sad.

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 10:39 AM
ROFL....

Have plenty of them... Who doesnt? Especially on a message board...

This is message board not the bible...

I don't know about message boards, but most of the people here keep their shit straight.

Especially those that go out of their way to attack the opinions of other posters every chance they get.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't know about message boards, but most of the people here keep their shit straight.

Especially those that go out of their way to attack the opinions of other posters every chance they get.

I only attack you...

your my favorite poster on this board...

And my best Chiefsplanet Friend...

htismaqe
05-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I only attack you...

your my favorite poster on this board...

And my best Chiefsplanet Friend...

You're my favorite poster too. :D

keg in kc
05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Make sure you two wear cyber condoms.

Reerun_KC
05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Make sure you two wear cyber condoms.

Can you get some the glow in the dark?

Toad
05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
"Heck, I’d take an autographed bong from Ricky Williams for Green, and I don’t even smoke."

Uhhhh.....Sure Jason....