PDA

View Full Version : What's your guilty gaming pleasure?

QuikSsurfer
02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Viva Pinata for me. This game is addicting, beautiful, and full of strong sexual dancing. I'll admit that when I play this game, I will set my online status to "appear offline"...
What about you?

htismaqe
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Hehe, I played the hell out of Viva Pinata. Easy 1000 points...

Demonpenz
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
parrapa the rapper

QuikSsurfer
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
come on pokemon fans.. fess up

http://www.brentwoodoaks.org/picture/filename/317/peeking.jpg?1147890493

kcxiv
02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
i haven one atm, but back in the Super Nintendo days it was the game Alladin. haha. That game was just pure fun.

JBucc
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM
come on pokemon fans.. fess up

I played the shit out of Red/Blue but never got any after that.

I"m not sure I have one right now.

QuikSsurfer
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
i haven one atm, but back in the Super Nintendo days it was the game Alladin. haha. That game was just pure fun.

Aladdin was an amazing game. I had it for the Genesis. Still remember the level select code :) AABBAABBA
ever try the Lion King?

Simply Red
02-19-2008, 09:45 PM
pinch hitter 2

Reaper16
02-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm not going to say Poke'mon, because it is not a guilty pleasure for me. I'm an unashamed Poke'mon fan.

When I read the thread title, 3 old platformers came to mind:

McKids: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKids

Ecco Jr.

Barney's Hide and Seek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney%27s_Hide_and_Seek

Kraus
02-20-2008, 12:24 AM
LocoRoco.

TinyEvel
02-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Choplifter on Sega Genesis

Redcoats58
02-20-2008, 03:45 AM
LocoRoco.

Loco Roco kicks ass. You just wanna save those little bastards.

02-20-2008, 04:01 AM
LocoRoco.

that game was ridiculously fun. Of course, after the newness wore off it lost some of its charm.

ClevelandBronco
02-20-2008, 04:51 AM
I often play Trouble with my five-year-old daughter.

ClevelandBronco
02-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Also that game that has participants alternately dropping checkers into a grid. Is it called Connect Four? I'm not sure.

I pretty much kick her ass with the same strategy every time we play. I rock.

Well, I rock, but it's coupled with the fact that she has only a rudimentary concept of what "diagonal" is at her age. She can see it only after I kick her ass.

Sometimes I think she's only taking my word for it.

Whatever. I win.

02-20-2008, 06:24 AM
Also that game that has participants alternately dropping checkers into a grid. Is it called Connect Four? I'm not sure.

I pretty much kick her ass with the same strategy every time we play. I rock.

Well, I rock, but it's coupled with the fact that she has only a rudimentary concept of what "diagonal" is at her age. She can see it only after I kick her ass.

Sometimes I think she's only taking my word for it.

Whatever. I win.

You are just mean. I go out of my way to NOT win going diagonal with my youngest son.

Jenson71
02-20-2008, 07:47 AM
You are just mean. I go out of my way to NOT win going diagonal with my youngest son.

In real life, people are always killing you with diagonals. Build their character, prepare them for what's ahead.

xbarretx
02-20-2008, 08:54 PM
mutant league football

NFL 95 (the one with chiefs on the cover) I OWN YOU!! HEY OVER HERE!! COME ON BRING IT!

Illusion of Gaia

Deberg_1990
02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
New Super Mario on Nintendo DS. IM hooked.

JBucc
02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
New Super Mario on Nintendo DS. IM hooked.How is that a guilty pleasure? Anyone who doesn't like that game is a moron.

I know one for me, Runescape. Yeah sure I don't actually play the game and just go around annoying people, but still.

Bump
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I kinda like UNO for XBLA and Tetris Evolution, I don't really play any games that I would be embarrased about I guess.

Reaper16
02-20-2008, 11:14 PM
mutant league football

That's no guilty pleasure. Mutant League Football & Hockey are awesome.

QuikSsurfer
02-20-2008, 11:46 PM
mutant league football

NFL 95 (the one with chiefs on the cover) I OWN YOU!! HEY OVER HERE!! COME ON BRING IT!

Illusion of Gaia

I would destroy you on nfl 95 for the genesis... the spin move is lethal.
good call on mutant league football.. the hockey one was equally as fun.

These are not embarrassing titles though.

Taco John
02-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I am a sucker for resource management games. In fact, I have been on the hunt for some of the old ones I used to play, and a few that I missed.

My absolute favorite game of all time is Sid Meier's Civilization - whichever one is the newest one at the time. I get a hankering for it a couple times a year. Pop it in at 8pm after putting the boy to bed, and go to bed at 3 or 4 am if I'm lucky, and repeat until I work it out of my system.

Currently, I've been playing an ancient one called Imperialism. I freaking love this game. In fact, I got so geeky about it that I cracked their files and changed their meaningless country names to stuff that I could recognize and work with. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The learning curve is steep, but once you get it, it's addictve.

I just purchased Master of Orion II. I've never played it before, but I've read a lot of promising reviews of it.

I also just purchased Theme Hospital - an oldie but a goodie. I get a kick out of that game.

I expect to purchase Tropico soon. I've read some great things about that game.

I absolutely love Stronghold and the Crusader expansion that goes along with it.

I've been wanting to fire up Command & Conquer, but haven't found the time. I expect to get some C&C time in sometime this spring.

And dn't laugh, but I also downloaded Oregon Trail Deluxe for old times sakes, and I'm looking forward to reliving my youth.

QuikSsurfer
02-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Tropico is an excellent game. I loved it.
Again, none of those are guilty pleasures... not even Oregon Trail :) That game was too much fun

Iowanian
02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
where did you find oregon trail?

brideowanian has joked about getting that several times....it'd blow her mind if i had that on her computer and she stumbled into it.

QuikSsurfer
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM

brideowanian has joked about getting that several times....it'd blow her mind if i had that on her computer and she stumbled into it.

http://www.amazon.com/LEARNING-COMPANY-Oregon-Windows-Macintosh/dp/B0009VLEYQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1203648366&sr=8-1

htismaqe
02-22-2008, 09:30 AM
I never got to play Oregon Trail at school. I spent all of my allotted Apple IIe time playing Karateka and Eamon Adventures.

Taco John
02-23-2008, 02:07 AM

send me a pm with your gmail account... I'll send it ovah...

wazu
02-24-2008, 12:41 AM
My old favorites were Tecmo Bowl and Madden, followed by Civilization once it came out. Civ was like crack for awhile. Eventually I played some Everquest on the severely broken PvP servers where I developed a love for the concept of online games. I played that online Star Wars game for awhile before it crapped out, and now I play World of Warcraft, although not to the addiction levels I used to play some of the old games, even though it may be the best game ever.

Psyko Tek
02-24-2008, 12:53 AM
I would destroy you on nfl 95 for the genesis... the spin move is lethal.
good call on mutant league football.. the hockey one was equally as fun.

These are not embarrassing titles though.

Was that the Joe Montana one?

I had that for sega genisis CD
ran the sweep as an qb option, and a crossing pattern for passing

wracked up a perfect season
and then destroyed the former superbowl champions

beat the '85 bears 120omething to nthing

QuikSsurfer
02-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Was that the Joe Montana one?

I had that for sega genisis CD
ran the sweep as an qb option, and a crossing pattern for passing

wracked up a perfect season
and then destroyed the former superbowl champions

beat the '85 bears 120omething to nthing

It had Joe Montana on the front cover. I remember the announcer from startup screen "NFL FOOTBALL 95'!!"

CHIEF4EVER
02-24-2008, 07:56 AM
I like everything related to Age of Empires. That means AoE, AoE II (AoK), AoE II Conquerors expansion (I used to play that online PvP until the wee hours of the morning for years. It was like legalized crack.), Empire Earth and Age of Mythology. Also Diablo, Diablo II + expansion (still play this all the time), all the MoH, all the CoD, and am still a Halo/Halo2/Halo3 junkie.

Stewie
02-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the Oregon Trail idea. Is it too much for a 7 year old?

Reaper16
02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I think people are misinterpreting the meaning of "guilty gaming pleasure." Enjoying a good game is not a guilty pleasure, I wouldn't think. It's the games you like that are poor, or have a stupid/kiddy/girly concept behind them.

For example, I listed above an NES platofmer centered around McDonald-land, and a Genesis platformer starring Barney the Dinosaur. That's ridiculous; the fact that I enjoy them is one that causes me some guilt.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I've always enjoyed the Worms games...

Adept Havelock
02-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Bravo Romeo Delta is probably my biggest "guilty pleasure game".

Crap Graphics, Obtuse interface, but it just keeps bringing me back. It has for years.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=143

Also, NATO Commander on an Atari 800 emulator, Telengard on an Apple II emulator, and "Nuclear War" from New World Computing (though the last one really is a great tongue-in-cheek game).

Nuclear War (The original)
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=777

Nuclear War 3.0 (Java remake)
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=3857

banyon
02-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Two Genesis games that were fun, but questionable for an adult to play:

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion

and

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

CHIEF4EVER
02-24-2008, 01:06 PM
I think people are misinterpreting the meaning of "guilty gaming pleasure." Enjoying a good game is not a guilty pleasure, I wouldn't think. It's the games you like that are poor, or have a stupid/kiddy/girly concept behind them.

For example, I listed above an NES platofmer centered around McDonald-land, and a Genesis platformer starring Barney the Dinosaur. That's ridiculous; the fact that I enjoy them is one that causes me some guilt.

Using your standards:

Gex - Enter the Gecko. A Secret Agent Gecko that wanders through parallel worlds accessible only by entering TV screens. You fight the bad guys by hitting them with your tail or jump kicking them while intermittently cutting loose with various one-liners from TV. A kids game but funny as hell and fun to boot.

QuikSsurfer
02-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Two Genesis games that were fun, but questionable for an adult to play:

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion

and

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

I still have Moonwalker.. Love the music and the super jackson robot thing you can become. Definitely a guilty pleasure :)

teedubya
02-24-2008, 01:12 PM
hexxxagon DAMN YOU!!

Reaper16
02-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Using your standards:

Gex - Enter the Gecko. A Secret Agent Gecko that wanders through parallel worlds accessible only by entering TV screens. You fight the bad guys by hitting them with your tail or jump kicking them while intermittently cutting loose with various one-liners from TV. A kids game but funny as hell and fun to boot.
Nice. Gex was so bad! My little brother got it for Christmas one year. I played through all of it... I think I still remember a lot of the one-liners and references to tv shows.

Adept Havelock
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Using your standards:

Gex, Immercenary, Quarantine, WC3....nice memories of my 3D0.