PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV John Adams

Frazod
03-16-2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/

The miniseries based on David McCullough's biography begins tonight on HBO.

I'm stoked. :rockon:

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Honestly, Giamatti's performance in those clips was laughably bad, IMO.

Liberty will reign, IN AMERICA!!

Vegas_Dave
03-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Giamatti's performance in those clips was laughably bad...

Really!?!

I think it looks fantastic and cannot wait. I though Giamatti will be perfect for that role.

Wa-Z
03-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Anything HBO is good. I just finished season 2 of The Wire...amazing.

Deberg_1990
03-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I though Giamatti will be perfect for that role.

Will he surpass Anthony Hopkins Adams in "Amistad" ??

deadbabyseal
03-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Will he surpass Anthony Hopkins Adams in "Amistad" ??

He played John Quincy Adams, who was John Adams' son.

Sully
03-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Just finishing the first episode, and this is GREAT!!!!

Seems to be fairly accurate, so far (with a few timing and story tweaks). But the acting is VERY good, and I like what they are focusing on , in this first episode, tons.

Frazod
03-16-2008, 09:14 PM
That was great. First class all the way around. The scene where they voted for independence gave me chills.

Magnificent. :wayne:

Sully
03-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Dammit!!!
i'M NOT FINISHED!!!
You are going to spoil the story!!!!

ROFL

Frazod
03-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Dammit!!!
i'M NOT FINISHED!!!
You are going to spoil the story!!!!

ROFL

We win in the end.

HA! :p

Fire Me Boy!
03-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Looks like it kicks ass to me. Alas, I'll have to wait for DVD.

Sully
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
We win in the end.

HA! :p

Shit.
Guess I'm done watching.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-16-2008, 09:27 PM
I will buy this on DVD if there is a promise that at one point Adams stands up and yells at Washington

"YOU ARE THE MOTHERF*CKING ANTI-CHRIST!!!"

Rausch
03-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm geeked.

Frazod
03-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Speaking of Washington, David Morse is dead on in his portrayal. Even better than Jeff Daniels in The Crossing. The likeness is amazing.

KevB
03-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I watched the first two hours last night....very happy with it so far. Jefferson was really interesting, as was Franklin as he critiqued the Declaration of Independence. Every now and then Giamatti goes a bit overboard, and I see him in some of his other roles. But overall, really well done so far.

Rausch
03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
I watched the first two hours last night....very happy with it so far. Jefferson was really interesting, as was Franklin as he critiqued the Declaration of Independence. Every now and then Giamatti goes a bit overboard, and I see him in some of his other roles. But overall, really well done so far.

I was skeptical about Giamatti carrying a movie/m-series but he's done pretty good so far. I've only seen the first episode but I'm hooked.

And seeing Franklin and Jefferson do a bit of gentle barbing was unexpected. You always hear about these great men and think of them as pretty much equals. I never really considered who wound up higher on the food chain when they all sat down together.

kcgrl
03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
for guys who like my big lips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://xaclan.com/Jerry/Jerry/

http://xaclan.com/Jambob/Jambob/

http://xaclan.com/XAJambob/xajambob/

http://xaclan.com/Koolie/?N=A

http://xaclan.com/Jerry/?N=A

Men who like whores and big lips.

Adept Havelock
03-19-2008, 09:25 AM
I will buy this on DVD if there is a promise that at one point Adams stands up and yells at Washington

"YOU ARE THE MOTHERF*CKING ANTI-CHRIST!!!"

Would you settle for a "you are the debbil" rant? :p

Frazod
03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Would you settle for a "you are the debbil" rant? :p

JA's pick for the debbil would probably have been Hamilton. :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-19-2008, 04:41 PM
JA's pick for the debbil would probably have been Hamilton. :D

http://pigvomitgoesoff.ytmnd.com/

listopencil
03-19-2008, 07:29 PM

What the **** is all this nonsense?

Sully
03-24-2008, 08:02 PM
This 3rd episode is a little slow, but I will say I can't think of a better actor to play Ben Franklin. He's awesome.

Frazod
03-24-2008, 08:10 PM
This 3rd episode is a little slow, but I will say I can't think of a better actor to play Ben Franklin. He's awesome.

The third episode was a bit lame, but it very accurately reflected JA's misery. He hated France and never should have been sent there in the first place.

Swanman
03-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Looks like another great HBO miniseries. After this one is done, Generation Kill (screenplay written by David Simon of The Wire) is coming and then in 2009, HBO will bring us "The Pacific". It's another Hanks/Spielberg project. Think "Band of Brothers", but in the Pacific Theater.

DenverChief
03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
What the **** is all this nonsense?

I'm right there with ya :spock:

Fishpicker
03-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I like the show so far but Giamatti didn't take this series to the next level. Sometimes I cant tell whether I'm watching John Adams or Harvey Pekar.

unlurking
03-27-2008, 10:22 AM
I like the show so far but Giamatti didn't take this series to the next level. Sometimes I cant tell whether I'm watching John Adams or Harvey Pekar.
American Splendor was an awesome movie, but only because of Giamatti. I probably would have hated it otherwise.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. I generally like Giamatti, but his performance so far seems kind of flat. I actually liked the Paris episode though, and think it was his best performance in the series so far.

CosmicPal
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
I've watched all four episodes so far and this is an absolute remarkable achievement. David Morse gives a striking performance of George Washington as Tom Wilkinson does with Dr. Benjamin Franklin.

Wow! This is a great, great series. The characters are alarmingly accurate and the elements are genuine, but the sheer acting from everyone in the cast is very well done. Bravo!

Frazod
03-31-2008, 03:55 PM
I've watched all four episodes so far and this is an absolute remarkable achievement. David Morse gives a striking performance of George Washington as Tom Wilkinson does with Dr. Benjamin Franklin.

Wow! This is a great, great series. The characters are alarmingly accurate and the elements are genuine, but the sheer acting from everyone in the cast is very well done. Bravo!

Some of the scenes in this absolutely give my chills. I'm really enjoying it. David Morse's portrayal of Washington continues to be so amazing that it's almost creepy.

03-31-2008, 04:08 PM
I still need to get the last two eps. Plan on watching them in one night in order. How many eps will there be total?

CosmicPal
03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Some of the scenes in this absolutely give my chills. I'm really enjoying it. David Morse's portrayal of Washington continues to be so amazing that it's almost creepy.

I share the same sentiments. The scene where John Adams meets King George for the first time after the United States achieved independence and
Adams was appointed ambassador was absolutely stirring. I can only imagine that must've been how John Adams really felt when meeting the King for the first time.

Frazod
03-31-2008, 07:01 PM
I still need to get the last two eps. Plan on watching them in one night in order. How many eps will there be total?

Six or seven.

Miles
03-31-2008, 11:19 PM
I share the same sentiments. The scene where John Adams meets King George for the first time after the United States achieved independence and
Adams was appointed ambassador was absolutely stirring. I can only imagine that must've been how John Adams really felt when meeting the King for the first time.

Yeah that was a hell of a scene.

I also really enjoy the banter between Adams, Franklin and Jefferson. I could probably watch whole episodes of just that.

PhillyChiefFan
04-01-2008, 05:14 AM
I love how its very historically accurate. Washington's swearing in was by all accounts I have read spot on. He was so quiet when repeating it that hardly anyone could hear it, he added so help me god, and it has been part of the oath ever since...great scene.

Adept Havelock
04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I can only imagine that must've been how John Adams really felt when meeting the King for the first time.

I believe the proper expression for that feeling is "Scoreboard!!"

04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Just finished watching the first two eps. Decided I couldn't wait.

The first one was kind of slow but ep two was captivating. Can't wait to see the rest.

blueballs
04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
From this point on
when I see or hear the name John Adams
I will hear buzzing insects

ChiefsFanatic
04-27-2008, 02:41 AM
I just watched the first two episodes, I downloaded them and converted them to my ipod, and I have a couple of observations.

First, the scene when the Continental Congress voted for Independence, I got a lump in my throat. Secondly, Paul Giamatti is a damn fine actor. And lastly, but perhaps most importantly, if I was John Adams, and my Abigail looked like Laura Linney in that tight fitting dress, this country may have been up shit creek, because I would have never left the bedroom.

I can't wait to watch the rest.

04-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Up to 6 right now. Giamatti has been damn impressive in this.

J Diddy
05-01-2008, 07:54 AM
http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/

The miniseries based on David McCullough's biography begins tonight on HBO.

I'm stoked. :rockon:

Great series enjoyed them all

Braincase
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Up to 6 right now. Giamatti has been damn impressive in this.

Laura Linney was great as well, and I think Morse found the role he was born to play. Damn... best portrayal or GW that I have ever seen, big screen or small.

Delano
05-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I can't wait for the DVDs.

CosmicPal
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I thought this series was supposed to go thru Mid-May?

The last episode I saw last week, Mrs. Adams, John, and Thomas Jefferson all passed away. What now?

pr_capone
05-01-2008, 12:44 PM

The last episode I saw last week, Mrs. Adams, John, and Thomas Jefferson all passed away. What now?

There were only 7 episodes. It is all over now.

siberian khatru
05-01-2008, 01:04 PM

They're reincarnated as Transformers and lay waste to modern-day Washington.

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeC_phVOdnw

Taco John
05-01-2008, 01:21 PM

The Sequel. This time it's personal.

BigChiefFan
05-01-2008, 03:33 PM
This mini-series for phenomenal. It was well worth watching all of these episodes. Giamatti should be up for an award he was good.

RealSNR
05-29-2008, 11:40 PM
DVD set of this series come out June 10th.

Just a heads up.

Frazod
05-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Cool. I'll definitely add that to the collection.

Delano
12-01-2008, 07:42 AM
The miniseries on DVD is available on Amazon.com today for $23.99.

Fairplay
12-01-2008, 07:46 AM
The miniseries on DVD is available on Amazon.com today for $23.99.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up.

I want to get that but just couldn't justify the price until now.

Delano
12-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Wow. Thanks for the heads up.

I want to get that but just couldn't justify the price until now.

It's a great deal at over 60% off retail price.

If you can throw in a cheap paperback or some other trinket, you can get free shipping as well!

Fire Me Boy!
12-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Blu-Ray is coming out soon. No date yet, but Amazon is offering the pre-sale.

Frazod
12-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I picked this up a couple of months ago. Excellent miniseries.

Don't really understand why this would be worth the additional expense of blu-ray, though. I may not even bother buying blu-rays in the future - the player itself makes regular DVDs look so good that to me, the difference is negligible and really doesn't justify the higher cost. At all.

12-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I picked this up a couple of months ago. Excellent miniseries.

Don't really understand why this would be worth the additional expense of blu-ray, though. I may not even bother buying blu-rays in the future - the player itself makes regular DVDs look so good that to me, the difference is negligible and really doesn't justify the higher cost. At all.Depends on the movie for me. If it is a movie that I really want to buy, I will go for the BD and find a deal. If it is a movie for the family though, I will go DVD. I'm mean like that. heh

Frazod
12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Depends on the movie for me. If it is a movie that I really want to buy, I will go for the BD and find a deal. If it is a movie for the family though, I will go DVD. I'm mean like that. heh

For me, the problem is I have so many DVDs, many of which I've already upgraded from VHS, that I'm just not going to do it again for a merely marginal quality upgrade. I'm not going through that expense again.

Now, I may change my mind for stuff with truly amazing visuals (Matrix, Star Wars, etc.) but certainly not run of the mill stuff.

Kind of torn on whether or not to get Dark Knight on blu-ray. Batman Begins was one of the first blu-rays I bought, but I haven't picked up any new ones in months.

12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
For me, the problem is I have so many DVDs, many of which I've already upgraded from VHS, that I'm just not going to do it again for a merely marginal quality upgrade. I'm not going through that expense again.

Now, I may change my mind for stuff with truly amazing visuals (Matrix, Star Wars, etc.) but certainly not run of the mill stuff.

Kind of torn on whether or not to get Dark Knight on blu-ray. Batman Begins was one of the first blu-rays I bought, but I haven't picked up any new ones in months.Agreed on replacements. I have no plans at all to replace any of my DVDs at all. My Blu Rays will only be new movies or movies I didn't own in the first place.

EDIT

Matrix? I thought it wasn't that much better on BD.

Frazod
12-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Agreed on replacements. I have no plans at all to replace any of my DVDs at all. My Blu Rays will only be new movies or movies I didn't own in the first place.

EDIT

Matrix? I thought it wasn't that much better on BD.

I only replaced two - I picked up the director's cut of Troy (which totally sucked ass) and Batman Begins.

Fire Me Boy!
12-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Kind of torn on whether or not to get Dark Knight on blu-ray. Batman Begins was one of the first blu-rays I bought, but I haven't picked up any new ones in months.
If you've already got BB on Blu-Ray, you should get DK on Blu-Ray. Definitely. And the price difference the week it comes out will likely be marginal.

12-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I only replaced two - I picked up the director's cut of Troy (which totally sucked ass) and Batman Begins.I almost did pick up the DC of Troy but when you posted how bad it was a couple months back, I changed my mind.

Frazod
12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
If you've already got BB on Blu-Ray, you should get DK on Blu-Ray. Definitely. And the price difference the week it comes out will likely be marginal.

I might. I don't know.

I think the blu-ray people made a bit of a marketing mistake making their players not only compatable with regular DVDs, but also upgrading them to the point where the player itself is generally sufficient.

I have a 46" 1080p HDTV, and while I can tell the difference, it's just not a big deal to me.

Frazod
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I almost did pick up the DC of Troy but when you posted how bad it was a couple months back, I changed my mind.

If you want, I'll send mine. If I still lived out in the country, I would have already used the goddamn thing for target practice, but it's not worth a special trip. :grr:

Fire Me Boy!
12-01-2008, 02:09 PM
If you want, I'll send mine. If I still lived out in the country, I would have already used the goddamn thing for target practice, but it's not worth a special trip. :grr:

You weren't turned off by the fact that the theatrical cut was complete and total shit, you needed to see how bad the director's cut was?

:p

Frazod
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
You weren't turned off by the fact that the theatrical cut was complete and total shit, you needed to see how bad the director's cut was?

:p

I liked the theatrical cut.

Filmsnob. :harumph:

Fire Me Boy!
12-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I liked the theatrical cut.

Filmsnob. :harumph:

As bad as I thought Troy was, it didn't even come close to the clusterfuck that was Alexander.

Frazod
12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
As bad as I thought Troy was, it didn't even come close to the clusterfuck that was Alexander.

Never saw Alexander - I've yet to hear from anyone who liked it. At all.

But I really enjoyed Troy. Sure, it was silly and had gaping plot holes, but overall a good flick. I really enjoyed the way it skewered religion, too.

Fire Me Boy!
12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

But I really enjoyed Troy. Sure, it was silly and had gaping plot holes, but overall a good flick. I really enjoyed the way it skewered religion, too.

I almost always go into Oliver Stone flicks thinking, "OK... this time, he'll get back to Wall Street, Platoon form..."

Then I come out, pissed that I went and saw another OS movie.

There were two good things about Alexander - Rosario Dawson's left breast and Rosario Dawson's right breast.

Fire Me Boy!
12-01-2008, 02:30 PM

I thought Peter O'Toole was the single redeeming factor of Troy. Brian Cox was OK.

12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
If you want, I'll send mine. If I still lived out in the country, I would have already used the goddamn thing for target practice, but it's not worth a special trip. :grr:I'll watch almost anything once. heh

well, I'll start anything anyway.

Frazod
12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I thought Peter O'Toole was the single redeeming factor of Troy. Brian Cox was OK.

I liked pretty much all of it. Although I was very annoyed that Briseus never got naked. :mad: She was hot as hell. She didn't get naked in the director's cut, either. Dammit. :mad:

12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I liked pretty much all of it. Although I was very annoyed that Briseus never got naked. :mad: She was hot as hell. She didn't get naked in the director's cut, either. Dammit. :mad:Now we know why you bought it. heh

Frazod
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Now we know why you bought it. heh

Pretty much.

:grr:

Fire Me Boy!
06-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Finally comes out on Blu-Ray on Tuesday... I've had it pre-ordered from Amazon for like 8 months.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-Blu-ray-Paul-Giamatti/dp/B001684L0A

chasedude
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Very good series, I was able to watch it not long ago.

It still amazes me the ignorance of doctors in that time with the blood letting.

06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Finally comes out on Blu-Ray on Tuesday... I've had it pre-ordered from Amazon for like 8 months.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-Blu-ray-Paul-Giamatti/dp/B001684L0AThe series was great but, I have to admit, I starting losing interest after ep 4. Ep 2 was outstanding though.

Frazod
06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
While I really enjoyed the series, this isn't a blu-ray purchase for me. Seriously, I don't need to see the stained and nasty teeth in crystal clarity. :spock:

pr_capone
06-11-2009, 11:47 PM
WTF?

John Adams Season 2???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472027/episodes

pr_capone
06-11-2009, 11:47 PM

did you click the link?

Frazod
06-12-2009, 12:15 AM
There won't be a season 2. I think that's just standard wording for IMDB to refer to a mini-series as "Season 1." I checked Band of Brothers and they referred to that in the same manner.

pr_capone
06-12-2009, 12:20 AM
There won't be a season 2. I think that's just standard wording for IMDB to refer to a mini-series as "Season 1." I checked Band of Brothers and they referred to that in the same manner.

:doh!:

Frazod
06-12-2009, 12:25 AM
:doh!:

He did die at the end, you know. :D

06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
He did die at the end, you know. :DDamnit. You ruined it for everyone now.

pr_capone
06-12-2009, 12:40 AM

We are missing each other entirely.

I was wanting to see how many people would click the link thinking... "season 2?"

That is why I had that second post after the one with the link.

I am working entirely too hard for a joke here. lol

Miles
06-12-2009, 12:56 AM

No second season for the zombie years?

Fire Me Boy!
06-12-2009, 05:49 AM
While I really enjoyed the series, this isn't a blu-ray purchase for me. Seriously, I don't need to see the stained and nasty teeth in crystal clarity. :spock:

Since my movie purchasing power has gone way down in the past six months because of the wife's job situation, I tend to hold out for Blu-Ray on anything I buy.

Frazod
06-12-2009, 08:56 AM
We are missing each other entirely.

I was wanting to see how many people would click the link thinking... "season 2?"

That is why I had that second post after the one with the link.

I am working entirely too hard for a joke here. lol

Sorry about that.

Remember, on the internet it's much easier to appear stupid than funny. :D

Rausch
06-12-2009, 09:00 AM

I'd love to see an honest look at Andrew Jackson. He'd be good for a mini-series. Plenty of good/bad in his story to suck you in...

Frazod
06-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I'd love to see an honest look at Andrew Jackson. He'd be good for a mini-series. Plenty of good/bad in his story to suck you in...

Yeah, he was definitely colorful. I picked up the book American Lion about his presidency, but I haven't started reading it yet.

Jenson71
06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Absolutely.