PDA

View Full Version : Will the top OT's be gone at KC's 2nd round pick?

raypec85
03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Let's say there are 10 top OT's in this year's draft. As far as I know the following teams (other than KC) need an OT. I don't have time to research more so this list could be added to or subtracted from:

Miami
St. Louis
Atlanta
Oakland
Denver
Baltimore
Carolina
San Diego
Houston
Pittsburgh
Dallas

Miami, St. Louis, Atlanta & Oakland count twice because they'll have two chances to draft before KC's 2nd round pick. That's 15 possible spots for an OT to be taken prior to KC's 2nd rounder. I think we could see a run on the top 10 OT's that would have them all gone by the time KC picks in the 2nd round. Just some food for thought since it's a pretty common assumption that the Chiefs can wait until the 2nd round to fill this need.

Does that mean KC shouldn't stay at # 5 & select Dorsey if he's there? Nope - just some additional info to throw into the mix.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Not a chance in hell. The quality isn't as good as some people think.

Bowser
03-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Who knows? You wouldn't think it would happen looking at the way it is sizing up, but there is always that suprise pick in every draft. Look no further than (an injured) Ted Ginn Jr. last year.

I doubt it, though. I think the value of the six or seven top draftees does not include two Offensive Tackles.

keg in kc
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Hopefully not.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2008, 12:17 PM
OMG!! What we will do if they are??

Because no good O-linemen ever come after the 2nd round. :)

Micjones
03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
OMG!! What we will do if they are??

Because no good O-linemen ever come after the 2nd round. :)

The Chiefs have held the "we can get by on drafting Offensive Linemen in the Middle to Late rounds" philosophy for years...And where do we stand?

DaKCMan AP
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
No way are 10 tackles gone by our 2nd round pick. That's ridiculous.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
The Chiefs have held the "we can get by on drafting Offensive Linemen in the Middle to Late rounds" philosophy for years...And where do we stand?

We stand pretty well. Croyle, he sits on his ass a lot with a few defenders on top of him.

Micjones
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
We stand pretty well. Croyle, he sits on his ass a lot with a few defenders on top of him.

Exactly...

RustShack
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
No way are 10 tackles gone by our 2nd round pick. That's ridiculous.

But hey if it does, that means there WILL be a great WR, CB, or even Brohm. I really don't care if we don't draft an OT in the first two rounds though. Id rather have Doresy or Ellis over Long... If theres a better WR or CB in the 2nd than an OT, I'd take the better players.

DaKCMan AP
03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
But hey if it does, that means there WILL be a great WR, CB, or even Brohm. I really don't care if we don't draft an OT in the first two rounds though. Id rather have Doresy or Ellis over Long... If theres a better WR or CB in the 2nd than an OT, I'd take the better players.

I'd take Dorsey over any player in the draft. The only other player close, IMO, is Chris Long. After them I'd be fine with Jake Long or Ellis, followed by Ryan/Gholston.

BigRock
03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd say it's entirely likely that Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, and Gosder Cherilus will be gone when the Chiefs pick in the second round. Who does that leave, Baker and Nicks? Nicks will surely be there, but Baker might not be.

melbar
03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
I'd take Dorsey over any player in the draft. The only other player close, IMO, is Chris Long. After them I'd be fine with Jake Long or Ellis, followed by Ryan/Gholston.

I completely agree minus Gholston.

melbar
03-31-2008, 02:20 PM
I'd say it's entirely likely that Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, and Gosder Cherilus will be gone when the Chiefs pick in the second round. Who does that leave, Baker and Nicks? Nicks will surely be there, but Baker might not be.

I think you hit it on the head there. All the top guys will be long gone by 2. Maybe we could jump up? Hate to lose picks, just depends on who is there and what the price is.

DaKCMan AP
03-31-2008, 02:21 PM
I completely agree minus Gholston.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about Gholston because I'm wary of workout warriors, still think he's raw and I'm not confident that we'd use him properly. However, I'm not sold on Matt Ryan either. I'd be fine with any of Dorsey/Long/Long/Ellis and will be disappointed if all four are gone by #5.

melbar
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I'm not crazy about Gholston because I'm wary of workout warriors, still think he's raw and I'm not confident that we'd use him properly. However, I'm not sold on Matt Ryan either. I'd be fine with any of Dorsey/Long/Long/Ellis and will be disappointed if all four are gone by #5.

Thats the point that has caused so much discord here. If one of those 4 are there, grab him! Ryan and McFadden are considered by some to be in that class, but I'm not sure about either. So whats next is a group of 5 or so just below elite guys. I dont want to reach either, but if no trade partner steps up the question is who do you pick thats in that group? LB, DE, OT, or CB? I'm not an OT at all cost guy, but if all is equal I'd personally go OT-possibly CB. Thats just me. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

Chiefnj2
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
The only guaranteed guys that should go in round 1 are Long, Clady and Williams. I'd say Baker is the next likely choice.

Are teams really going to spend first round picks on RTs? In the last 20 years I don't think there's ever been more than 5 tackles taken in the first round.

A prospect to consider (although some may consider a reach) in the 3rd round is the kid from Clemson - Barry Richardson. He's a guy that in practice doesn't show much, but on game day plays well. My understanding is that he shut down Mario Williams a few years ago.

RustShack
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Richardson was once considered a 1st round pick, I wouldn't mind having him.

Fish
03-31-2008, 06:55 PM

You honestly think that 5 OTs will be gone in the first 34 picks? Maybe 6 including Baker?

Wow....

Seriously you do? Or am I missing sarcasm there? Because that is about as likely as a group of small primates exiting my anus at escape velocity....

melbar
03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
You honestly think that 5 OTs will be gone in the first 34 picks? Maybe 6 including Baker?

Wow....

Seriously you do? Or am I missing sarcasm there? Because that is about as likely as a group of small primates exiting my anus at escape velocity....

Everybody is predicting a record number of OT's going this year. There are a lot of teams in need also.

MLU
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
IMO, there are at least seven tackles in this year's draft that should be able to step in immediately and help a team: Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, Gosder Cherilus, Sam Baker and Anthony Collins. After those eight are guys like Duane Brown, Carl Nicks, Kirk Barton and Tony Hills who would be solid, but not spectacular as soon as next year.

This is a deep draft in Tackles. If Peterson doesn't walk away with a good one, he'll have no excuses...

Buehler445
03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
IMO, there are at least seven tackles in this year's draft that should be able to step in immediately and help a team: Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, Gosder Cherilus, Sam Baker and Anthony Collins. After those eight are guys like Duane Brown, Carl Nicks, Kirk Barton and Tony Hills who would be solid, but not spectacular as soon as next year.

This is a deep draft in Tackles. If Peterson doesn't walk away with a good one, he'll have no excuses...

He hasn't had an excuse (at least a servicable one) for years...

melbar
03-31-2008, 10:28 PM

If we miss Long, we would be well served to grab one of those guys in the second. Course we have a glaring need at CB now too...

Chiefnj2
04-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Collins is not going in the first round. He is very raw and gave up 8 sacks this past year (12 in his two years of starting). He's a project.

Spicy McHaggis
04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
If the all those OT's are gone by our second pick then there sure as shit will be some other positions with great value that we can take.

melbar
04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Collins is not going in the first round. He is very raw and gave up 8 sacks this past year (12 in his two years of starting). He's a project.

If he's a project, we're sure to grab him.:shake:

MLU
04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I agree, I don't think that Collins is worth even reaching for in the 1st round if you had the last pick. I do think that he can step in sometime his rookie season and contribute. I have seen much worse step in and perform well. A good example would be Zach Streif for the Saints who was projected by everyone to be a project at Right Tackle. A handful of games into his rookie season he is forced to step in at Left Tackle against the Buccaneers and shuts down Simien Rice.

Only one team has Walter Jones on their roster and most offenses manage to do well with a LT that was not chosen in the first round.

OnTheWarpath15
04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Only one team has Walter Jones on their roster and most offenses manage to do well with a LT that was not chosen in the first round.

20 of them, to be exact.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182268

MLU
04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Exactly. The Saints feel they have the LT of the future riding pine right now: 4th round pick Jermon Bushrod who was a Guard in college, but has worked out very well against the likes of Will Smith in practice. He has a big frame and is extremely athletic, but very raw technique-wise. He's working on cleaning up his footwork. I expect that we might get to see him play some this year since Brown has concerns about his knees.

milkman
04-02-2008, 08:36 AM
If he's a project, we're sure to grab him.:shake:

Since the Chiefs are starting a rebuilding project, drafting a project in the secod round isn't the end of the world.