PDA

View Full Version : You will never guess who Mel Kiper has the Chiefs taking now...

DTLB58
04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Braden Albert

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182327 ROFL

Deberg_1990
04-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Who the Hell is Mel Kiper Jr. ???

Coogs
04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
You see now, this is why the Planet is not near the place it use to be. I have stated all along that I would be happy with Dorsey, Ellis, Ryan, and either of the Longs at our #5 pick. There are also a few other players who happen to deserve some discussion at our #5 spot.

But, unlike the old days when some decent draft discussions were held around here, you now get ridiculed for merely stating what the pundits on TV have to say.

Coogs - not going away, but sure missing the old days when topics were discussed. :(

Coogs
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Sorry DTLB58, I thought you were taking a shot I me.

I went to ESPN, and you were right... Kiper does have us taking Albert...

Look for Parcells to draft lineman with No. 1 overall pick
By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: April 1, 2008

For the third time in as many mock drafts, I'm projecting someone new to go No. 1 overall. My initial mock draft had LSU DT Glenn Dorsey going first, then I had Virginia DE Chris Long going No. 1.

Now it's Michigan OT Jake Long's turn to reside atop the draft board.

But whether it's Dorsey, Chris Long or Jake Long, one thing's for certain: Miami executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells wants to take a lineman with the No. 1 overall pick. Also, the one word you can expect to hear a lot leading up to the draft is sign-ability. All indications are Parcells will draft the player who he can sign and get into camp.

Two other notable changes from my last mock draft deal with the emergence of Virginia offensive lineman Branden Albert and Boston College QB Matt Ryan.

Albert was a guard at Virginia, but he did play two games at left tackle. His individual workouts have been phenomenal and Albert has convinced teams he can play left tackle in the NFL. I have him going No. 5 to the Chiefs, and they aren't going to draft him that high to play guard.

As for Ryan, if Miami, Atlanta and Kansas City all pass on this year's No. 1 quarterback prospect, the Baltimore Ravens would love to see him on the board when it's their turn to pick. One thing to watch on draft day: I'm hearing if the Falcons pass on Ryan, they might try and trade back into the first round (Atlanta owns two second-round picks) in an attempt to get Delaware QB Joe Flacco.

The three new names appearing on my mock draft are: Purdue TE Dustin Keller; USC DE Lawrence Jackson; and Arkansas St. safety Tyrell Johnson. Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly and Miami's Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips dropped out of the first round.

My final mock draft will appear on the eve of the NFL draft, April 25.

* denotes underclassman

Kiper's First-Round Projection
No. Team Player School
1 Miami Dolphins Jake Long, OT Michigan
2 St. Louis Rams Chris Long, DE Virginia
3 Atlanta Falcons Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU
4 Oakland Raiders *Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
5 Kansas City Chiefs *Branden Albert, OT/G Virginia
6 New York Jets *Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio St.
7 New England Patriots (from SF) *Aqib Talib, CB Kansas
8 Baltimore Ravens Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
9 Cincinnati Bengals Sedrick Ellis, DT USC
10 New Orleans Saints Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee St.
11 Buffalo Bills *Derrick Harvey, DE Florida
12 Denver Broncos Keith Rivers, LB USC
13 Carolina Panthers *Ryan Clady, OT Boise St.
14 Chicago Bears Chris Williams, OT Vanderbilt
15 Detroit Lions *Rashard Mendenhall, RB Illinois
16 Arizona Cardinals Leodis McKelvin, CB Troy
17 Minnesota Vikings *Phillip Merling, DE Clemson
18 Houston Texans *Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon
19 Philadelphia Eagles Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida
21 Washington Redskins *Devin Thomas, WR Michigan St.
22 Dallas Cowboys (from CLE) *Felix Jones, RB Arkansas
23 Pittsburgh Steelers Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina
24 Tennessee Titans *DeSean Jackson, WR California
25 Seattle Seahawks Dustin Keller, TE Purdue
26 Jacksonville Jaguars Lawrence Jackson, DE USC
27 San Diego Chargers Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College
28 Dallas Cowboys *Justin King, CB Penn St.
29 San Francisco 49ers (from IND) *Jerod Mayo, LB Tennessee
30 Green Bay Packers *Brandon Flowers, CB Virginia Tech
31 New England Patriots Forfeited pick
32 New York Giants Tyrell Johnson, S Arkansas St.

ChiefsCountry
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Glad Kiper is always wrong.

rad
04-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Why the drastic fall for Ellis? Has he been outed or something? NTTAWWT

MLU
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I like his pick for the Saints, but I bet they trade up (probably to #7) for Dorsey or Ellis...

ChiefsCountry
04-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Why the drastic fall for Ellis? Has he been outed or something? NTTAWWT

Kiper and company look at needs and dont always go for BPA.

OnTheWarpath15
04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Kiper and company look at needs and dont always go for BPA.

Also, he's notorious for doing "favors" for agents and making players look more valuable than they really are. Like his opinion means jack shit.

I mean, Aqib Talib at SEVEN?

That's an inside job if I ever saw one.

rad
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the no-shitter, I didn't realize. What a slimeball.

Chiefnj2
04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Also, he's notorious for doing "favors" for agents and making players look more valuable than they really are. Like his opinion means jack shit.

Talk about inside jobs, try stomaching Mayock as he gushes over Ryan. "His love of football is only topped by his love of family and God."

OnTheWarpath15
04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Talk about inside jobs, try stomaching Mayock as he gushes over Ryan. "His love of football is only topped by his love of family and God."

I agree completely.

I know Mayock has a connection with the Ryan family, but didn't he attend BC as well?

LLV
04-01-2008, 11:41 PM
i used to subscribe to kiper back in the 80's when his wife would pick up the phone :D

LLV

yes mel has lost it but he is a trailblazer who deserves respect :eek:

LLV
I agree completely.

I know Mayock has a connection with the Ryan family, but didn't he attend BC as well?

yup

keg in kc
04-01-2008, 11:47 PM
But, unlike the old days when some decent draft discussions were held around here, you now get ridiculed for merely stating what the pundits on TV have to say.

Coogs - not going away, but sure missing the old days when topics were discussed(Yeah, draft discussion has gone into the toilet in a lot of ways. Not that it was ever really all that great, but it's like people have a personal stake now, and they take it as some kind of attack on them if there's something that doesn't exactly match whatever their favorite draftguru's made-up board says.

Maybe it's just a side-effect of the web. I think in a lot of ways, it's made people more passionate about sports, but you become so insanely focused and invest so much time in this stuff that I'm not sure it isn't less fun in some ways than it was 10 or 15 years ago.

PhillyChiefFan
04-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know of a site that keeps records of all of the mock drafts that the analysts put out before the draft? Like a database, so we can all laugh at them afterwards?

DTLB58
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know of a site that keeps records of all of the mock drafts that the analysts put out before the draft? Like a database, so we can all laugh at them afterwards?

I don't know of a database but last year I think the USA TODAY showed a lot of the mock results on Monday.

I doubt this is going to be his final mock with the draft being more than 3 weeks away.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2008, 11:33 AM

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/FREE_CONTENT/top100mock.shtml