PDA

View Full Version : Maz out 4 to 5 weeks...

DaWolf
08-24-2001, 09:57 PM
From the Star:

Chiefs don't believe Collins' injury to be serious

By ADAM TEICHER - The Kansas City Star
Date: 08/24/01 22:15

When the Chiefs saw backup quarterback Todd Collins screaming in pain after being sacked in Thursday night's game in Jacksonville, they feared the worst.

But it turns out Collins did nothing more than bruise his ribs and left shoulder. He could be ready for the Sept. 9 regular-season opener against Oakland at Arrowhead Stadium.

Trent Green and Bubby Brister will play quarterback in the final preseason game Friday night at St. Louis.

"If it were a league game, we'd probably get him ready to play," coach Dick Vermeil said. "Since it's not, we're going to hold him out."

Vermeil said two reserve defensive players won't be back in time for the Raiders. Linebacker Mike Maslowski and cornerback Pat Dennis each sprained a knee. Maslowski will miss four to five weeks, Dennis two to four.

B2chiefsfan
08-24-2001, 10:02 PM
Yikes!! That SUCKS!!! :eek:

DaWolf
08-24-2001, 10:14 PM
I'm just glad he didn't beat out Patton for the starting job, otherwise that means a declining vet would have to be starting. As it stands, our best LB is still on the field, and our backup is out. Not that Maz is any small loss, he's a very good LB and his special teams ability is important, but thankfully it's not ligaments or anything, and maybe he'll be able to heal faster than the prognosis.

Here's to hoping no one else gets injured in this final game against the Lambs...

Tribal Warfare
08-24-2001, 11:25 PM
Just reading the topic , and without reading anything else ..................

SH*iiiiiiiiiiiiiiT!!!!!!!

htismaqe
08-25-2001, 06:39 AM
I don't know why so many people are upset about this. I know Maz became a favorite around here, but so far in the preseason, he's looked LOST. He's out of position on running plays, he can't cover the TE, etc.

I've been more impressed with Jordan and he should be ready to go as Patton's backup by opening day...

keg in kc
08-25-2001, 08:14 AM
I think it's good news. That gets him back for the second or third game.

I expected it to be worse. Much worse.

Parker, I think the declining play of the defense in the second half against Jax was due in no small part to playing guys at LB who were *truly* lost. We need Maz to heal, both for situational use and for special teams.

I also like Jordan, btw, but we need Maz in playing condition.

4-5 weeks isn't long, especially when half of that is preseason time. ;)

Tribal Warfare
08-25-2001, 12:08 PM
Maz, is the man who energized the last year. The man has great instincts. He displayed it last year

htismaqe
08-25-2001, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I understand that. But this isn't (thank God) last year. And he hasn't looked near good enough to beat out Patton.

Rain Man
08-25-2001, 03:14 PM
Admittedly, I haven't been able to watch any Chiefs football yet (the Denver Taliban prohibits watching any legitimate football teams here), but I was impressed enough by Maslowski last year that I can't believe he hasn't easily retained a starting job this year. Has anyone checked to see if Lew Bush is stealing his jersey?

keg in kc
08-25-2001, 03:18 PM
My opinion:

Bush looked really good against the Bears and I thought Patton looked equally good against the Jaguars (well all preseason, actually). I thought Maz played okay against the 'skins, but he looked really bad against the Bears. He was hurt early against the Jags, so I'm not sure how he'd have played that game. Either way, if I'm making the depth chart, Maz is clearly 2nd string at this point (w/out the injury, that is...).

Pitt Gorilla
08-25-2001, 03:49 PM
This year, for some reason, Maz has been taking false steps that have rendered him useless on a lot of plays. When he has made plays, he's been coming in from behind when he should have been able to meet the play head on. I don't know what his deal has been other than maybe a lack of concentration. At least, I hope that's all it is. Gutty play can only take you so far; Mental mistakes can always take you right back.

Luzap
08-25-2001, 06:58 PM
Pitt,

That's what he was doing last year also.

With all due respect to everyone on the BB, I've never seen in Maz what many others do.

I love his intensity and desire. He was a lightning bolt of enthusiasm and dedication last year on a team that was running on Duracell batteries ~ perhaps that's why he stuck out so mutch and gained our loyalty.

Luz
maz is good, but not that good...

the Talking Can
08-25-2001, 07:58 PM
I was ready for Maz this year, but Patton played inspired against the Jags.
He was in the middle of both stops on 3rd and 1.

Next year we have to draft/acquire some upgrades on LB. I personally think that as a group our LB's are basically average.

Warrior5
08-25-2001, 08:18 PM
but this is still <B>lame</B> (no pun intended)!

Patton, Patton, Cadrez, and Atkins have played solid. Surprisingly, Donnie Edwards was kinda invisible before his injury (any update on his sprain?).

Even though Maz has been slightly "off" during the pre-season, his absence from STs will be significant. Atkins has been a force on KO coverage, but Maz was never too far away from the tackle.

Here's to a full recovery, Maz.

keg in kc
08-25-2001, 08:23 PM
Warrior, DV said today the Donnie might be ready to play for next Friday's game, but that they weren't worried about pushing him.

Every indication I've had is that his sprain was minor. Nothing to worry about at all.