PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Chan Gailey Offense Thread

JuicesFlowing
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I like the new offense. Should be a lot more productive than 2007.

Huffman83
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Play action even on run plays. Lots of misdirection. The running game is kind of rusty....but that first drive of hogging the clock and getting first downs...made my dick hard.

That is no lie!

Silock
08-07-2008, 06:31 PM
It's only one series.

I like the playcalling, though. Such a drastic improvement.

JuicesFlowing
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Croyle makes me nervous with some of his throws, but he's throwing them away instead of to the other team. I like the misdirections as well.

petegz28
08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
The look like Denver's O really. Rollouts, cut back runs....I'll take it cause it works. Bad 2nd drive but we are playing da bears

Coach
08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Hopefully we'll see some improvement on the right side of the line. It actually frightens me to see MacIdiot and Jones in there....

Shaid
08-07-2008, 07:11 PM
With some better O-line play, we'll have ourselves a pretty good offense. Those holds in the second drive weren't too pretty.

Lonewolf Ed
08-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I know it is only preseason, but I didn't really see ineptitude out there.

tomahawk kid
08-07-2008, 07:36 PM
It's only one series.

I like the playcalling, though. Such a drastic improvement.

QFT.

Allowing Croyle to audible is huge in and of itself.

It's amazing the difference a competent OC can make.........

tomahawk kid
08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
With some better O-line play, we'll have ourselves a pretty good offense. Those holds in the second drive weren't too pretty.

Albert will make a big difference at LT.

I'd look for Taylor to be at RT by Week 3, assuming Richardson can't figure out pass blocking..........

unlurking
08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, we REALLY need O-Line help. LJ looked pretty damn inconsistent too.

blueballs
08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
they saw some success
that's important at the end of the day

dirk digler
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
QFT.

Allowing Croyle to audible is huge in and of itself.

It's amazing the difference a competent OC can make.........

Yep. I am really impressed with how the first team O performed.

I am really impressed with how the whole team has performed overall

Sully
08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I really like the new system. I liek the zone stuff (though I don't understand pitching the ball on a zone play, I'd rather the long handoff). I like the bootleg with the guys we have.

Croyle didn't look that good, his passes were all over the place, but the WRs made the plays.

eazyb81
08-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Much less predictable than last year's crap system. I think it's a great system for us to use while the team is young, helps keep the defense on their heels.

Molitoth
08-07-2008, 08:11 PM
The look like Denver's O really. Rollouts, cut back runs....I'll take it cause it works. Bad 2nd drive but we are playing da bears

+1

blueballs
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I admit it
I would take croyle/thigpen/huard over orton/grossman/whoever

SPATCH
08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I admit it
I would take croyle/thigpen/huard over orton/grossman/whoever

i kinda liked Hainie (sp?) aka "whoever"

but yeah... you're right

BigRedChief
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Jeezzz it was one series. One drive. Lets not go overboard here.

Yeah its light years farther ahead of the run, run, pass, punt offense but that was a pretty low bar to jump over.

tmax63
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
They held their own out there tonight even without their 2 first rounders but you could see a real drop off between our 2nd/3rd stringers and the Bear's 2nd/3rd's. If the Chiefs stay reasonably healthy they won't be as big an embarassment as some of the folks on here seem to think.

Fish
08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Loved seeing the audibles. Croyle looked very confident doing so. Even the passes he forced into the window were well placed away from the defender. Everybody seems to like the new offense running it.

Admittedly, I expected much worse out of the OLine.... Herb missed a few, but held his own in the running game. Didn't see as many break downs from the right side as I expected either....

Just one series, but damn it's nice to see some effort tonight.....

petegz28
08-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Loved seeing the audibles. Croyle looked very confident doing so. Even the passes he forced into the window were well placed away from the defender. Everybody seems to like the new offense running it.

Admittedly, I expected much worse out of the OLine.... Herb missed a few, but held his own in the running game. Didn't see as many break downs from the right side as I expected either....

Audi-whaty? WTF is an "Audible"? Is that something realted to the rule changes this year about 2 feet down or something? Where would one find out more information about this thing you call an "Audible"? :D

Fish
08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Audi-whaty? WTF is an "Audible"? Is that something realted to the rule changes this year about 2 feet down or something? Where would one find out more information about this thing you call an "Audible"? :D

Dear Mike Solari,

Your services are no longer required.

Best,

Chan "potential" Gailey?

RustShack
08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I missed the game because of work, but I'm liking what I'm hearing. Its more impressive when you think about who we were playing.. the Bears have a pretty dang good defense.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Dear Mike Solari,

Thank you for allowing me to keep my job(for now), I hope those tire marks arent permanent, try some tide with bleach. They seem to get the stains out of my knee pads.

Sincerely,
Herm

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 09:54 PM

8 mintues til game time..

Will make note of the audibles...

Fish
08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
I missed the game because of work, but I'm liking what I'm hearing. Its more impressive when you think about who we were playing.. the Bears have a pretty dang good defense.

Actually they didn't look particularly good tonight.... which is why I will temper my excited feelings until we're playing real games for 4 quarters.....

For a preseason game though..... I'm damn happy....

EDIT: The bears defense didn't look particularly good......

RustShack
08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Can't wait for Dorsey and Albert!

Frankie
08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Croyle didn't look that good, his passes were all over the place, but the WRs made the plays.

My observation was that Croyle was throwing them with command and authority. Looked totally more self assured than last year. One of us didn't watch the game right.

Frankie
08-07-2008, 10:08 PM

I didn't notice any chop blocking by our O-line. :hmmm:

Coach
08-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I really like the new system. I liek the zone stuff (though I don't understand pitching the ball on a zone play, I'd rather the long handoff). I like the bootleg with the guys we have.

Disagree. One pass was where the receiver slipped and fell. Another pass was, for the most part, missed communication with the QB/WR's. And the other one was a deep throw where he pretty much overthrew everyone. That one play to Bowe though, was probably his worst throw. Badly underthrew it, yet I was convinced that Bowe actually caught that.

Still 6/10 with no INT's is pretty solid.

Frankie
08-07-2008, 10:12 PM

Keep in mind. The first half was the real football game and we won that 14-3. Pretty convincing score if you ask me.

Mama Hip Rockets
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
CHAN GAILEY IS THE GREATEST MAN ALIVE.

Fish
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
CHAN GAILEY IS THE GREATEST MAN ALIVE.

He's no Barack Obama......

TRR
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
He did have a couple of bad throws, but what QB doesn't?

The one where Franklin slipped would have been a good, long completion. The footing on the field was awful....

The frozen rope to Will Franklin was something special...Period. In between two defenders, placed only where The Thrill could get it. B E A utiful...

Hammock Parties
08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
That throw to Franklin was special.

JuicesFlowing
08-08-2008, 12:40 AM
I know it's only one game, but I like what I see.

PastorMikH
08-08-2008, 01:21 AM
He did have a couple of bad throws, but what QB doesn't?

The one where Franklin slipped would have been a good, long completion. The footing on the field was awful....

The frozen rope to Will Franklin was something special...Period. In between two defenders, placed only where The Thrill could get it. B E A utiful...

I agree. For Franklin to hold on to that amazed me. Starting WRs with experience miss those or lose them when they hit the ground. Franklin's first NFL catch was awesome. 3rd and 15 - did we have any WRs last year that would have come through on 3rd and long like that?

teedubya
08-08-2008, 01:23 AM
I really missed the RRPP offense though... almost as much as I miss the 32 D.

ZootedGranny
08-08-2008, 01:26 AM
They need to work on that fake pitch counter, because half of the time it looked less like a misdirection, and more like a blown play. That said, something was working, because there were some huge holes to run through tonight.

Hammock Parties
08-08-2008, 01:37 AM
They need to work on that fake pitch counter, because half of the time it looked less like a misdirection, and more like a blown play. That said, something was working, because there were some huge holes to run through tonight.

I don't even recall seeing the Chiefs RUN a fake-pitch counter the last few years. Great addition to the playbook.

MichaelH
08-08-2008, 03:24 AM
I like the new system and hope it's effective in the regular season. It didn't take much to improve upon what we had though.

Red Dawg
08-08-2008, 05:18 AM
The line did alot better at run blocking than expected as well. Chan may have found something.

FAX
08-08-2008, 06:55 AM
... Croyle didn't look that good, his passes were all over the place, but the WRs made the plays.

I don't know, Mr. Sully. Croyle threw the ball away a couple of times when the play wasn't there. Is that what you're referring to?

Plus, he made a couple of good audibles, saved the day with a scramble out of a busted play, was the quarterback who was on the field when we converted 4 third downs (I think it was 4), threw a few bullets that were very much on target, and walked off with a touchdown under his belt.

Not bad, I'd say.

FAX

King_Chief_Fan
08-08-2008, 06:58 AM
The line did alot better at run blocking than expected as well. Chan may have found something.

must have come later.....when looking at the stats with the 1st string...LJ 8 carries for 18 yards is kind of measley. I couldn't see the game in St. Louis so what was happening with his carries?

ChiefGator
08-08-2008, 07:02 AM
[Croyle] was the quarterback who was on the field when we converted 4 third downs (I think it was 4),...

Five actually

must LJ 8 carries for 18 yards is kind of measley.

Most of his runs were for good yardage. One was for like -6 or -7 though. Take that out and you are looking at 7 carries for 24 yards. Not bad for the first preseason game. And when he got through, it seemed like he was getting at least 5 yards each time. The O-Line looked better than last year and LJ had a burst.

Also, he apparently didn't want to come out, but Herm made him . . . which I like.

Buehler445
08-08-2008, 07:09 AM
I liked what I saw out of the offense. It is really working to create advantages for the O. It's not really Herm's calling card. He always says "we're just gonna line up and beat you. That's what physical football teams do.". But I think it is critical to the success of the team.

I'm tempered however, because I think after some film is out there, the misdirection and plays involving a fake will be less effective. Hopefully that's not the case, but we'll see.

I was impressed with LJ's ability to cutback. I didn't think he'd be all that good as a cutback runner, but looked good last night selling it.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler
08-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Last night was really the first game where Croyle stood out to me and showed flashes of how good he could become.

Last year he never did that.

I am impressed so far and having a real NFL coordinator sure does help.

King_Chief_Fan
08-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Five actually

Most of his runs were for good yardage. One was for like -6 or -7 though. Take that out and you are looking at 7 carries for 24 yards. Not bad for the first preseason game. And when he got through, it seemed like he was getting at least 5 yards each time. The O-Line looked better than last year and LJ had a burst.

Also, he apparently didn't want to come out, but Herm made him . . . which I like.

thanks ChiefGator.......when seeing nothing but stats it doesn't help with the full picture.

Chiefnj2
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Random thoughts on the offense:

1. What a difference in preseason games when a team gameplans and doesn't. That first drive was well orchestrated - naked bootlegs and other plays you usually don't see in the first drive of the first preseason game. I'm not sure the Bears were quite ready for it. The Chiefs executed well. Croyle and the receivers looked sharp.

2. There was a lot of talk all preseason about Rudy getting owned on the line. I didn't notice any glaring problems. Other guys got beat and had penalties, not Niswanger. (I didn't watch the 2nd quarter). As a whole the OL is obviously a work in progress.

3. Thigpen should send a fruit basket to Greene and Santos. If KC had a 4th QB in camp that played late in the game Thigpen never would have settled down and all we would have been left with was that atrocious 3rd quarter performance. He would have hit the streets today.

Anyong Bluth
08-08-2008, 07:29 AM

Solari likes to call it the R2P2 Offense. It's his homage for all the Star Wars fan boys- which he is also. The movie, 40 year old Virgin, is loosely based off his life, but they made him a circuit city employee to protect his identity instead of NFL O Coordinator- but notice the subtle hint with the company's primary color being red.

FAX
08-08-2008, 07:42 AM
You have to hand over some prop things to the mysterious and inscrutable Chan for last night's performance. He's putting his stamp on the offense and, so far, it's made a significant and positive difference. Croyle is a quarterback who can move and I like the idea of using that skill to our advantage in the form of the bootlegs and rollouts. Obviously, it helps to take the pressure off the o-line, as well. If we can establish a solid run game in the weeks to come, the play action will also become a major factor in our ability to move the chains.

Right now, it's impossible to know if da Bears were just taken by surprise or if we actually earned the first 80 yards. Nevertheless, this offense is 1000 times better than last season's.

I'm impressed with our receiving corp including the tight ends. I'm impressed with our running backs - we're amazingly deep there. I'm impressed with Croyle's ability to run the offense and stay smart with the football.

My guess is that, once we've run this offense for a while, we can do some damage as long as turnovers are minimized. The biggest surprise for me is that, given all the negativity surrounding the hiring of the mysterious and inscrutable Chan, this isn't boring football. Far from it.

FAX

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 07:45 AM

God imagine if we fielded both at the same time. :eek:

CoMoChief
08-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I liked the first drive,

But we are still getting into too many 3rd down situations and we can't have that simply because most games we aren't gonng be 5/6 (or whatever we were last night) on 3rd downs. Most teams will prevent us from doing that. Many 3rd down plays were 3rd n long plays. We can't have that, it's important to gain a good chunk of yds on 1st down. I know it's preseason, but penalties will shoot us in the foot on offense if we don't cut that shit out. There was one holding call I didn't agree with but there's holding on almost every play so take it for what it's worth.

I just don't think 5/6 on 3rd down is a good thing really. I'd rather have a 10-12 play drive than what we had on the first series. JMO

Demonpenz
08-08-2008, 08:26 AM
On those counters and cutbacks, you can get away with lesser olineman because you have decent angles. Last year was like running into a brick wall because we couldn't line up and beat people (most teams can't)

Rick
08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Hopefully we'll see some improvement on the right side of the line. It actually frightens me to see MacIdiot and Jones in there....Good observation.. Jones was not quick enough to pull and pick up his man on several runs and MacIntosh won't last because of his knees. I hope Herb Taylor and Barry Richardson work out.

Hammock Parties
08-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Barry Richardson can't pass block to save his life.

HemiEd
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I agree. For Franklin to hold on to that amazed me. Starting WRs with experience miss those or lose them when they hit the ground. Franklin's first NFL catch was awesome. 3rd and 15 - did we have any WRs last year that would have come through on 3rd and long like that?

:) Let me guess, he went to Mizzou?

j/k, he did a nice job.

Sully
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't know, Mr. Sully. Croyle threw the ball away a couple of times when the play wasn't there. Is that what you're referring to?

Plus, he made a couple of good audibles, saved the day with a scramble out of a busted play, was the quarterback who was on the field when we converted 4 third downs (I think it was 4), threw a few bullets that were very much on target, and walked off with a touchdown under his belt.

Not bad, I'd say.

FAX

Maybe I need to go rewatch if, as so many people are disagreeing with me. I could be misremembering. but what I remember while I was watching, though, was thinking, "Jeez, good thing the WR could adjust to that," or, "Man Alive, the WR made a good play on a poor throw, there."
But I'll look at it again if it replays on NFLN. I could've just been wrong.

Coogs
08-08-2008, 04:13 PM

On the incomplete pass to Bowe on the sideline, I was thinking if that throw was made exactly the same way by Manning, Brady, or Favre the announcer would have been going on-and-on about what great QB's they are for purposely underthrowing the WR and allowing them to be the only player who could make a play on the ball.

In fact, I wished Herm would have thrown the red flag on the play just for the heck of it if nothing else.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Chan the Man.. hopefully he doesn't give away all his secrets in the preseason!!

teedubya
08-08-2008, 04:19 PM
God imagine if we fielded both at the same time. :eek:

We would have had the first pick in the draft, baby!

Micjones
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I like the fact that Chan Gailey's offense will help cover up some of what we lack offensively, but I think eventually players have to step up and into bigger roles. Once game film is available you'll have to find other ways to be effective.

JuicesFlowing
08-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Solari likes to call it the R2P2 Offense. It's his homage for all the Star Wars fan boys- which he is also. The movie, 40 year old Virgin, is loosely based off his life, but they made him a circuit city employee to protect his identity instead of NFL O Coordinator- but notice the subtle hint with the company's primary color being red.

Well said! I spent far too much energy last season questioning the existence of Solari as a play-caller. Seriously, an O-line coach shouldn't just be "promoted" to offensive coordinator. Did we even have a play book last year? Just curious. Because after last night's game, I'm beginning to think Solari just made plays up in his head.

SAUTO
08-08-2008, 06:25 PM
On the incomplete pass to Bowe on the sideline, I was thinking if that throw was made exactly the same way by Manning, Brady, or Favre the announcer would have been going on-and-on about what great QB's they are for purposely underthrowing the WR and allowing them to be the only player who could make a play on the ball.

In fact, I wished Herm would have thrown the red flag on the play just for the heck of it if nothing else.

I THOUGHT that myself, NOONE but dbo was gonna get that ball! the talk out of camp was that dbo and brodie have been practicing that